Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capas Bogart Straw Hat

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suppose I should have asked this question ahead of time, but I just ordered the Capas Bogart to take advantage of the holiday sales. I've seen this hat being offered by a few companies and like the style and the "Toast" color. Anyone have any knowledge of the product?

tropicalbob

I should perhaps add that, for some reason, not all of the vendors advertise the hat as a Capas product, but simply as the "Bogart Straw." JJ Hats have the best photos, but substantial savings can be had at Holland Hats.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I have one and have had it for several years. I know that sometimes Capas gets a bad rap but I have been happy with mine. It was one of the first straws that I bought. I like the lower crown and the brim is wide enough to keep the sun off my face and neck in the summer time. I too have the toast color and love it. Hope this helps.

Kirk H.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I've got a Capas toast straw. It's quite good, though not considered a prestige name. The moiré effect you see on the ribbon is in the photo not in the hat! These photos are from September. My iPhone 6 does a better job!

capas.toast1-sm.jpg

capas.toast2-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Doeesn't look especially low crowned in that photo. Nice shape - presumably it's styled after Bogie's typical fedoras, hence the name? Is it actually straw, or polystraw?

Edward

Bartender
I tend to prefer polystraw as I've found them more durable in a wetter climate, but this one is a really nice shape.

tropicalbob

Greg, thanks very much for the pics. The photos I've seen on the sites vary considerably, but that seems like what I was hoping for. I must say that Bruce at Holland Hats goes out of his way to make sure you're happy: he recommended we put it on the block for a few days for a bit of a stretch, just to make sure of the size. Nice guy.

tropicalbob

Edward, I was thinking the same thing about the crown. I started collecting hats a few years back, and recently decided to expand my straw collection, considering where I live. I don't know, though: the regular Panamas do nothing for me, as they don't suit my style, so I'm looking at all alternatives. And by the way, the poly straws are murderous in the heat.

tropicalbob

Jeff, thanks for the info. To tell the truth, I was planning on a Strat from you for Christmas, but due to financial constraints (temporary, I hope) I'm going to have to wait a bit. Something to look forward to.

tropicalbob

I'm finding that if you want a real Milan you have to go custom. Last spring I got a Stetson Renaissance that I would swear is plastic: it holds a shape about as well as a water balloon. Then I splurged on a VS Milan, and, well, what a difference! In sunlight it has a golden glow that's really beautiful. I guess it's like anything else: you get what you pay for.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I bought one a couple of years ago. It's an "okay" hat for the money, if you can get one at a sale price. I didn't care much for the short tapered crown though. Mine was just under 4 inches tall at the pinch. I reblocked mine and squared up the crown. I was able to push the crown to 4 1/4 inches tall at the pinch....I also changed out the ribbon.

Panama_05.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn