Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffing One's Nails

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I've often seen vanity sets that include lovely little pots, a hand-held mirror and a nail buffer--usually looks like it has been covered with sheep skin.

I've picked up a couple of buffing files from my local pharmacy and have liked the look of the polished nails. Truly, it must be very vintage!

Anyone have any experience with buffing their nails? I always worry a tad because I have rather thin nails to begin with. How often do you buff your nails? Any tips?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Some people use oils like Solar Oil when they buff.

When I had natural nails, I never buffed them. Buffing them smooth makes it more difficult for polish to adhere! Natural, buffed nails do look quite nice, though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My manicurist has been buffing my nails with this product for over twenty years with no deleterious effect. I would also add that she has a very light hand and is careful not to remove any additional nail surface from the previously polished area.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
When I buff my natural nails, I use a buffing cream from Sally Beauty Supply, and a chamois buffer. Just go very lightly and you'll get a nice shine in no time! Buffing cream is really the key to getting a good, long-lasting shine with minimal effort. A tub costs around $3 and will last forever.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I was in dental hygiene school I wasn't allowed to wear nail polish, or have any nail that actually showed past the fingertips. But, I buffed my nails regularly to keep them neat looking. I used a buffer cream and a cheap 4 sided buffer at least once a week. They were so shiny my professors reprimanded me on several occasions accusing me of wearing clear nail polish. Polish is not allowed for it is considered unhygienic and is actually against universal standards of care. Besides, if you were a patient would you want to be lying in the dental chair while a girl comes towards your mouth with bright red talon like nails??:eek: I don't think so:D

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Dottie-I'm so glad you posted this!

I gave up my pedis and acrylic nails when I became pregnant,partly due to financial reasons and partly due to wanting to be extra careful.I always had a thin layer of acrylic added to slightly short rounded nails,because my hands are in water so much that the polish wouldn't stay on otherwise.
My hands have always been my vain spot and seeing them unadorned is something I'll never get used to,but I didn't think of buffing them.
I think this will make me feel better and won't be too time consuming.
Thanks so much for the idea!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
My manicurist has been buffing my nails with this product for over twenty years with no deleterious effect. I would also add that she has a very light hand and is careful not to remove any additional nail surface from the previously polished area.

I just picked one of those up and have been quite delighted with the final outcome. And actually it's rather fun to do while watching TV.

A kinda nice side benefit was that it made me tend to my cuticles because when I first buffed my nails, it made my cuticles look particularly ghastly. Oof!

I think I'll stop by the pharmacy and buy one of those whitening nail pencils because my nails look too translucent.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
When I buff my natural nails, I use a buffing cream from Sally Beauty Supply, and a chamois buffer. Just go very lightly and you'll get a nice shine in no time! Buffing cream is really the key to getting a good, long-lasting shine with minimal effort. A tub costs around $3 and will last forever.

I haven't heard of buffing cream. I'm very intrigued. Perhaps I'll have to pick some of that up too!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Here's what I use, I think it is around $3.50 or $4.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/7040/704350

704350.jpg

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Nail Buffing Powder (recipe from 1945)
Boric acid, 25 g
Talc, 25 g
Osmo Kaolin, 10 g
Wheat starch, 15 g
Magnesia, 5 g
Carmine as desired

Thoroughly mix all ingredients except carmine in a bowl. Mix about a teaspoon of this mixture with a little bit of carmine (about 0,5 g) in a seperate bowl. Add the carmine mixture to the first mixture little by little, and the nail powder is finished. This nail powder should be used with an ordinary chamois nail buffer.

----
If some it sounds a little strange it's because I translated it from Danish. It's from a book that has all kinds of beauty and household recipes, including one on how to make fireworks! :eek: I haven't tried this recipe myself and I'm not even sure the ingredients are legally available from drugstores anymore, but it's fun to read!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn