Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Straw Hat?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm on the hunt at the moment for a black Panama, something with a minimum 2 7/8" brim and a C-shaped or teardrop crown, and maybe in the $200.00 range. So far I've exchanged emails with Mike at NW, but he only had a 2 1/2" brim in my size, which is a 7 7/8". Good guy, though, and he's keeping his eye out for me. I'm thinking of giving Tom Gomez a call this week but was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions. Also, does anyone know Tom's price ranges?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
tbob - not a Panama, but Art Fawcett can make a black version of his milan hats.

I had been looking for a black straw hat for a while and Art made me this Dualist (with lightweight black beaver brim) last year. Peters Bros Hats here in Ft Worth also makes a black milan hat, I'm thinking of getting a black straw Open Road style there.

Here's my black VS, I wear it a lot (was today as it happens, although this is an older photo) and since it is from Art, the quality is first class. Tom Gomez makes great hats too, it he can get you a black body.

smugshot_1377666-L.jpg

tropicalbob

JLW -- who makes that hat?
DJH -- It was your hat that got me on this track! I love that hat. I'd love to get Art to make another straw for me, as the Milan I got from him last year is my all-time favorite -- a black version of that hat would have me circling Mars, but at the moment my wife's on disability, so we're trying to be a bit careful with the funds. Thanks to all you guys, though.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We carry Paribuntal and Sisosl straw hats in sizes 7 7/8 with 3 inch brims. These are Italian made. The domestic companies go up to 7 58 and 7 34 in the wider brim black straws.

jlw

One of the Regulars
If you research the image, shouldn't u b able to find the originator...?

I pulled the image off of the retailer's web page. I also linked to the retailer's web page. The retailer refers to it as "our". I think it is a store brand, but I am not certain of it.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I pulled the image off of the retailer's web page. I also linked to the retailer's web page. The retailer refers to it as "our". I think it is a store brand, but I am not certain of it.

So the 50 million dollar question is... WHO is the retailer and what's the web address? BOTH BOB'S want to kno?

tropicalbob

I just looked again. It's the Panama Hat Co. of St. Augustine, which I believe is a pretty reputable outfit. I believe I'll be taking a closer look. Thanks.

javadave61

Practically Family
That one looks similar to one I picked up recently at a Bailey outlet store for 15 bucks. It's pretty stiff and durable and easy to shape. I've since raised in the crown a bit. I wasn't looking for one, but at that price it was hard to pass up. It's a nice alternative to my white and natural straws. It's only a 2 inch brim though. I could see wanting to invest in a higher quality one on down the line.

10570558_10206555616950753_2743512884617705242_n.jpg

11081468_10206555617350763_3839358635344173345_n.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
That one looks similar to one I picked up recently at a Bailey outlet store for 15 bucks. It's pretty stiff and durable and easy to shape. I've since raised in the crown a bit. I wasn't looking for one, but at that price it was hard to pass up. It's a nice alternative to my white and natural straws. It's only a 2 inch brim though. I could see wanting to invest in a higher quality one on down the line.

10570558_10206555616950753_2743512884617705242_n.jpg

11081468_10206555617350763_3839358635344173345_n.jpg

Deja vue...

jlw

One of the Regulars
So the 50 million dollar question is... WHO is the retailer and what's the web address? BOTH BOB'S want to kno?

The words "Here is one on sale" are hot linked. Note they are in yellow. Click the link, and it will take you to the retailer.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The words "Here is one on sale" are hot linked. Note they are in yellow. Click the link, and it will take you to the retailer.

Thx. Got it from Tropical Bob's previous post. 40 somthin $$$ is really inexpensive. But im not the one looking for a black hat...

tropicalbob

It say it has a 2 1/2" brim, which is a bit on the small side for me, and a 3 3/4" crown, which sounds awfully small. It doesn't look it, though. They also say it's a version of their best-selling hat, so maybe it's worth it. Something's telling me to give Tom Gomez a call first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn