Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beater Brotherhood

Magus said:
I agree JP! In fact the hat I showed as a beater also has had a small hole starting in the crown at the front....and the back! lol And though I KNOW this is off topic....man I just LOVE bound brims!

M

I like bound brims, sewn brims, raw edges, cavanagh edges, guild edges and a host of others that were made throughout the Golden Era.

Hemingway, I know what you mean. I want to grab it off his head, brush it, snap the brim and smooth it out. Then he could have his beater back. :D

Regards to all,

J

Pilgrim

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Except when I got done with it it would have style.
I guess yopu are right. It just wouldn't fit him after I fixed it. :p

But the one thing it DOES have now is style. The guy really has a way of conveying his style well.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Tiny Tim? Oh, wait, I was thinking of Tom Thumb.:D
tom-thumb.jpg

Now there was a stylish little fellow.

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
I just dug these photos up.
Here are my humble contributions to the thread.
Penny's Marathon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/feraud/Fedora Lounge/Picture394.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/feraud/Fedora Lounge/Picture393.jpg
A fine, tough hat.

Akubra Federation Deluxe.

another great one.
Both of these hats have gotten wet, dropped, stepped on, run over in NYC traffic, and the Akubra had a cup of Starbucks coffee spilled inside the crown! We will save that story for another day..:)

spiridon

A-List Customer
Finally getting around to posting one of mine.....an old Borsalino "Baskin". It has a nice little hole in the brim about the size of a pin head....but otherwise a great hat for kicking around in, especially in a pair of jeans or such.:D

IMG_0838.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
my official rain hat

I found this hat in the sale bin at TJ Max (shudder) for about 10 bucks. It's a truly lousy hat. I think it's a pedigree wool felt crushable safari hat. (at least that's what the inside says.) i wore it a while as a rain hat, but it lost all form, and just became a vaguelly fedora shaped blob. I stopped using it, because it looked so bad. The band fell off, because it was badly sewn on with fishing line of all things. Anyway, I was messing around with it, and this is what I came up with. I got rid of the fedora dents; reshaped the crown in a ???? style. It's still not great, because it was a bad hat to begin with, but at least now i'll wear it a little. It's saved for torrential rain, because i don't like hoods, or umbrellas.

hat.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
My beater is an old Akubra featherweight (possibly a Stylemaster) that I bought more than ten years ago at a second-hand shop. It has weathered many summers of work and camping and traveling. Here it is enjoying toasted marshmallows with my little guy.

daddydashymarshmallows.jpg

Notice the big round basketball-sized crown on this thing. Are all Akubras shaped like that? Anyway, what it lacks in elegance, it makes up for in durability.

daddyanddashiellatfire.jpg

And here it is enjpying a cigar:

ciggarage.jpg

matei

One Too Many
Here is my new fave hat for the summer:
IMG_106.jpg

It is an old Borsalino that Art Fawcett restored. He did a wonderful job. It is made from soft, buttery felt - so light weight that you can reshape it without steam, in seconds.

IMG_107.jpg

Perhaps "beater" isn't fair - it is a fine hat, and great restore by Art!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
matei said:
Here is my new fave hat for the summer:
IMG_106.jpg

It is an old Borsalino that Art Fawcett restored. He did a wonderful job. It is made from soft, buttery felt - so light weight that you can reshape it without steam, in seconds.

IMG_107.jpg

Perhaps "beater" isn't fair - it is a fine hat, and great restore by Art!

:eek: You call that a beater?!?!?

I suppose you go camping in spats. :rolleyes: ;)

matei

One Too Many
jake_fink said:
:eek: You call that a beater?!?!?

I suppose you go camping in spats. :rolleyes: ;)

Ah, well - there are a number of small stains that refused to come out, and the interior was burned when the previous owner used a hot lamp as a hat rack!

You can't see them in the pick.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah!

Wow, I feel like if I shown my "Beater" I'd be band from the lot!lol Geez you guys, a vintage Borsy with some minor stains and a slightly burned liner is a beater? Man, that would still be a hat to wear for a night on the town!

I'll post a photo of my beater... it's an early 40's Stetson Imperial I got it from Matt Deckard, it retains the hand block from the original owner, it's liner fell out (I have it and will put it back soon) The leather sweat band is in good shape but, needs to be stitched back in. The hat is dirty but, man, what a cool look it has!

I'll post a photo of it soon, maybe later today.

=WR=

Wild Root said:
I'll post a photo of my beater... it's an early 40's Stetson Imperial I got it from Matt Deckard, it retains the hand block from the original owner, it's liner fell out (I have it and will put it back soon) The leather sweat band is in good shape but, needs to be stitched back in. The hat is dirty but, man, what a cool look it has!

What about the green beater hat you have with moth holes and the like? :p ;) lol

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff