Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leathers - International pricing?

So how about that new banner Aero's put up on their website. Pretty neat, huh? They really should update jackets photos, though, as the ones on the site are so small they're near useless. Luckily, pretty much every jacket they have is covered in detail on TFL.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They've been updating the photos and website for a while - you can tell the new ones, they're missing the unnecessary backdrop - but it's time consuming given the amount of turnover and business they have to deal with generally. Much prefer the new banner to the old 'taxi rank' insignia.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They really should update jackets photos, though, as the ones on the site are so small they're near useless. Luckily, pretty much every jacket they have is covered in detail on TFL.

Small? You know if you click on the small pic on the list page it opens a new page with a larger picture and more details right? and then if you click on the small different view pictures it then shows a larger version as well?

pak

One of the Regulars
Are the prices on Aero's, AL's or BK's websites with the VAT or is the VAT added on top of the price for non EU purchase?

True, Sloan, the new ones are a lot nicer - they've just changed main photo of J106 and now you can finally tell how beautiful that jacket is, even from the thumbnail photo. But yes, it is a lot of work, not to mention they'd have to have constantly update the used section with new photos.

Small? You know if you click on the small pic on the list page it opens a new page with a larger picture and more details right? and then if you click on the small different view pictures it then shows a larger version as well?

I know, of course, but those larger photos could still be considered quite small by todays standard. Take a look at Vanson Japan or Real McCoy website, or even the way Insurrection advertises Aero's gear. That is not to say the photos are not good, especially compared to what's on Vansons USA page or Schott com, but they definitely don't do the company justice. Aero jackets do look infinitely better in person than what is being shown on their website.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
One of the improvements of losing the backdrops is that the funny blue tint that they gave the pics has gone too. You can see how good the leather looks now.

SuinBruin

New in Town

Brettafett

One Too Many
Some nice new pics of 'updated' jackets.... The 'new' Aniline steer hide on the 'new' 1756 looks interesting...

ckramer

New in Town
Ok so now that the banter has died down a bit, my original question still stands about whether or not the prices on the site are converted (either to Euros or USD for the EU and United States respectively) or if the number remains the same from currency to currency (i.e. 675£ to 675€ or $675). Some brands like Lacoste for example tend to carry the same number over to different currencies, a basic polo being around $75, 75£, and 75€.

Ok so now that the banter has died down a bit, my original question still stands about whether or not the prices on the site are converted (either to Euros or USD for the EU and United States respectively) or if the number remains the same from currency to currency (i.e. 675£ to 675€ or $675). Some brands like Lacoste for example tend to carry the same number over to different currencies, a basic polo being around $75, 75£, and 75€.

What possible good would a company have by carrying the same price number over to different currencies!? Okay, that ought to come in handy if the company was to convert to a currency that is worth more (extremely slimy practice, in my opinion) but if Aero did that, they would be losing a LOT of money due to a pound sterling being stronger than both Euro and USD.

Anyway, what other said, Aero prices are always converted. You pay what the jacket is worth in £.

Edward

Bartender

The pound price is converted into the dollar amount. If they kept the same figure but just changed it to dollars, that would equate (at today's exchange rate) to something around a 41% discount, one dollar being currently worth only 0.59 of a pound. Not a viable way of running a business!

You are right, though, that some manufacturers who produce where goods are much cheaper to make (including in the USA) do often just switch the dollar sign for a pound sign - equating to a 40%+ mark up. That's why they call it Rip-off Britain.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Aero at least includes the 20% "VAT" charge even on non-EU sales as discussed in the below thread. I can't speak to other vendors; it's best to contact them directly.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?65401-FYI-Eastman-and-Aero-including-undisclosed-upcharge-on-overseas-sales

For non-EU sales (exports from EU) a company based in the EU, and making the EU VAT declarations, should not charge the VAT (different rate in different EU countries). The buyer, an individual living outside the EU, should pay the price without VAT + the customs duties + any applicable taxes in the country where he lives.

If the transaction is between two EU countries, the VAT of the country where the seller is located is charged. Unless the reverse charge system is being used, but that does not really concern individuals.

It really is that simple :)

Edward

Bartender
There's a (closed) thread somewhere on here where the VAT issue was discussed at length, and Aero made their policy clear.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The pound price is converted into the dollar amount. If they kept the same figure but just changed it to dollars, that would equate (at today's exchange rate) to something around a 41% discount, one dollar being currently worth only 0.59 of a pound. Not a viable way of running a business!

You are right, though, that some manufacturers who produce where goods are much cheaper to make (including in the USA) do often just switch the dollar sign for a pound sign - equating to a 40%+ mark up. That's why they call it Rip-off Britain.

I think j c penny did something like that over here.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget to bring us with you!
You Okies are simply the northern segment of Texas. How could Oklahoma not be included in the second secession of Texas from the Union? :[huh] :D

All kidding aside, I strongly suspect the issue of possible Scottish secession is a serious, scary, and likely very contentious issue for our brethren on the other side of the Pond.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80