Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Jacket - Interior Modifications?

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
I want to have an A-2 flight jacket made with some custom alterations.

Specifically, I want to deviate from "more authentic than the real thing" but want it to look mostly like an ordinary WW2 A-2 on the outside, and have most of the modifications done on the inside to be able to stash two metric plethoras of junk to make it the ideal travelling jacket.

Thus far I'm thinking 4 interior pockets plus an interior triple pen pocket and might want to add G-1 type underarm gussets. No idea yet how to best arrange interior pockets.

If anyone else has had interior modifications done of this sort, photos of the jacket interior showing the modifications would be appreciated.

Thank you!

AdeeC

Practically Family
I understand some makers will attach blood chits on the inside stitched up as pockets. I believe AERO do this. Perhaps not to your requirements though.

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg image.jpg
Sporty's and The Cockpit make modern USAF A-2 jackets with built-in pockets.

Stand By

One Too Many
Firstly, welcome to TFL !!!
You may wish to consider a 352nd A2 - http://www.eastmanleather.com/type-352nd-fighter-group-p-208.html - the one that has the large interior pockets made of parachute pack canvas - originally designed as a modification to stow escape gear (escape maps, chocolate bars, etc) for downed pilots. Having had one, I can say that it's a very nice A2 to own and the pockets are very handy for travelling and safely stowing passports, currency, documents and chocolate etc!
But if you overload them with bulky stuff, the pockets ruin the profile that a nice A2 naturally gives you and will make it look like you're packing potatoes! Not flattering.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Thank you everyone.

I failed to mention my preference is horsehide and no handwarmer pockets because if I'm wearing it, handwarmer pockets catch on things in a plane and I will occasionally fly with it, and I also manage to snag that type of pocket on everything from doorknobs to bushes to gate latches to the backs of chairs. I contacted Cockpit USA recently to see if they'd modify one of the WW2 horsehide models and the price would be in the stratosphere. One maker I've been leaning toward is US Authentic because he'll do any modifications desired. I had also checked Gibson & Barnes but the G&B's I've seen looked too "refined" if that makes sense.

The blood chit type interior pocket sounds like a good idea for a spot to stick something that is flexible and folds flat like a scarf or thin pair of gloves. Most of the pile I want to cram in the jacket is either flat or really small, the thickest items by far would would be a Victorinox Rescue Tool or a multitool and a pair of sunglasses.

The jacket modified for escape and evasion sounds pretty desirable and I could have used that in 1968 at the age of 4. My first (and only) big escape was from daycare that year, then I had to sneak back in like Hogan's Heroes because I didn't know the way home.

Stand By, believe it or not, a passport is the one thing I no longer have to carry separately. After years of trying every passport wallet I could find and judging them all as unusable, uncomfortable, impractical, and undesirable, I finally found a good passport wallet that works in a back pocket of both suits and jeans. It's made by Saddleback, and even with my double thickness 52 page passport in it plus cards and money, it's still thinner and more comfortable to sit on than previous "smaller" normal size wallets. I now keep that Saddleback passport wallet in my pocket every day, complete with passport in it, whether I need the passport with me or not.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like the problem is solved. Everyone's different. I don't carry stuff nor do I ever seem to need stuff, other than a few minor items in my jeans pocket and I would hate to have objects in my jacket. If I do need to carry things when traveling a small bag usually does it.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Leaning more towards bags now myself (especially if wearing an Irvin) :)

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
I haven't really tried the bag method yet, or the combat jacket. I did consider a "travel vest" or photographer's vest, but most of the vests out there with a ton of pockets seem to be made out of nylon or other synthetics with nasty burn characteristics.

bn1966

Bag wise I purchased a Turcano Urbano 'Ninja' leg bag (aimed at scooter riders). It has a belt supplied that doubles as a shoulder strap too (my preferred option). I've found it invaluable & can get wallet, mobile & a couple of other essentials in it with ease (see bag below). For more serious outings I've just purchased a Maxpedition 'Fat boy' that carries anything I need for work & then some.

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 390

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Bag wise I purchased a Turcano Urbano 'Ninja' leg bag (aimed at scooter riders). It has a belt supplied that doubles as a shoulder strap too (my preferred option). I've found it invaluable & can get wallet, mobile & a couple of other essentials in it with ease (see bag below). For more serious outings I've just purchased a Maxpedition 'Fat boy' that carries anything I need for work & then some.

That looks like a modern variation of the old messenger bags. That would work if it can be worn on the back.

bn1966

I wear it over my shoulder so that the bag sits by my armpit, can easily be worn across the back..best £26.00 I've spent in a while..very rugged bit of kit that bag ;-)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I had a tan service shirt turned inside out sewn in place of the lining in an A2 I once owned. Very useful :)

Yes, stitching a shirt into a leather bike jacket is a traditional way to save money and time on a lining remake. Down here we often used plaid flannel shirts.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Yes, stitching a shirt into a leather bike jacket is a traditional way to save money and time on a lining remake. Down here we often used plaid flannel shirts.

That method is a new one on me, I always thought "send back to maker for a new lining." Until a few days ago I'd never noticed what other people did to modify jackets. I did notice when living in Melb that I was about the only person who wore a flight jacket of any sort and most people I met who wore leather tended to wear either biker stuff or the "1920's English gentleman" type stuff.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

After I had chopped off the collar and cuffs then sewn it in, a friend commented "But that was a genuine WWII shirt, how could you do that?" My reply was " £12 for the shirt or £50(at that time) for a reline, no contest" He then wandered off shaking his head as he had searched for a decent shirt for quite a few years. It appeared they were quite rare at the time and no one in the UK was making repros.
Mind, it did take me all day to line the jacket, but considering I was an amateur I think I did a really nice job. Sorry, I never took pics.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
After I had chopped off the collar and cuffs then sewn it in, a friend commented "But that was a genuine WWII shirt, how could you do that?" My reply was " £12 for the shirt or £50(at that time) for a reline, no contest" He then wandered off shaking his head as he had searched for a decent shirt for quite a few years. It appeared they were quite rare at the time and no one in the UK was making repros.
Mind, it did take me all day to line the jacket, but considering I was an amateur I think I did a really nice job. Sorry, I never took pics.

The shirts have gone up a bit in price since. But still even if having to pay for a high quality safari shirt or similar with plenty of pockets, it seems more practical than most alternatives, plus could buy two of the shirts and have enough material to have a tailor do any number or combination of custom pockets desired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace