Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
For some reason profanity, especially the F-word, seems to bother me more nowadays when it never used to. I’m no prude and, God knows, I’ve been guilty of liberal use of the F-bomb myself, but now I find it kind of jarring.
A catholic priest, of all people, once told me that the origin of the "F" profanity came from an acronym. Back in the times when church and state law were one and the same, adultery was a crime and those guilty of this heinous felony were said to be: "Found Under Carnal Knowledge."

Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but it's such a good tale that I want to believe it.

For some reason profanity, especially the F-word, seems to bother me more nowadays when it never used to. I’m no prude and, God knows, I’ve been guilty of liberal use of the F-bomb myself, but now I find it kind of jarring.
Yeah, me too. It’s mostly used as an intensifier, but I find that it usually weakens an argument..

On the other hand, the last time I heard someone offer trite commentary along the lines of “If he had something of value to offer he wouldn’t resort to swearing” I just said, “yeah, yeah, yeah, **** you.”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters