Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Hat Experience Ever--Buyers Beware!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Although I've already posted this over in Suits, I felt that as the primary gist of my experience was in regards to a hat, I needed to put something here as well. Since many loungers are, like myself, younger fellas who would like a decent fur felt but don't necessarily have the money for a higher-end brand/model, I think it's important to let them-- as well as bargain-minded Loungers-- know about a company advertising a name-brand hat that is, in fact, a total sham.

I stumbled across mensusa.com looking for a fur felt bowler; they claim to have one here, with sketchy details. The link to the page describes the hat as wool felt but the page itself says fur. Note this part of the ad:

Leather Sweatband, Red Custom Christys' Satin Lining

This, combined with the assertion that $49 was a "half off sale," piqued my interest; I could very well have stumbled across a retailer having a half off sale on a Christys' derby. Wanting to be sure, I telephoned the 1-888 number yesterday. After about fifteen rings, it was answered by a guy who sounded like he was on a cordless phone from the 90s; it had that grainy, "wind tunnel" sound that you do not associate with the phone lines installed by a professional business. He had a mumbly, inarticulate voice and an accent that didn't sound like any kind of genuine accent but rather like someone badly imitating an accent. He said, "Mensusa dot com." I'm used to some kind of "How can I help you?" or "Please hold" or some kind of management-enforced tagline ("Where customer service is our priority!") so I was waiting for that and there was a dead silence while I realized he was waiting for me to say something. Finally I said that I was calling asking for information about one of their products.

Salesman: You want it, you buy it online.

Me: Well, I just wanted some information on it before I buy it.

Salesman: You want it, you buy it.

Me: I don't want to buy something without knowing anything about it.

Salesman: Everything you need to know's on the webpage.

Me: Um, well can I just tell you what item it is I'm asking about?

Salesman: Yeah, go on.

Me: SKU#FG3.

Salesman: (Pause) Yeah, the hat.

Me: Can you tell me who makes it?

Salesman: We do, all of our products are made by us, mensusa.

Me: But on the page it says Christys' lining, so I was wond--

Salesman: We make all our products, you want it you buy it online.

And he hangs up on me. So I call back, and get the same fellow, with the same wind tunnel effect.

Salesman: I told you, you want it you buy it online.

Me: I just want to know about the hat, it says Christys on the page, you're telling me you make it.

Salesman: Hey, we don't want your business.

Me: ...what?

Salesman: We don't want your business, have a good day.

And he hangs up on me. At this point I know that they're not on the level, so now it's become about me being ticked as opposed to me trying to get factual information. I call a third time.

Salesman: I told you we don't want your business.

Me: Why not?

Salesman: We don't need it.

Me: I could spend lots of money at your store.

Salesman: We don't want your money.

Me: Why not?

Salesman: We have enough.

Me: Then why are you still running a business? If you have enough money you don't need to have a store to sell things in to make more money.

Me: We don't want your business.

And another hangup. I waited a little bit, called again, and this time actually got a clear-sounding phone line with a guy speaking in unaccented, mid-western American English. He put me on hold, and I got disconnected. I called two more times; the next time, the same unaccented guy, on hold again. The third time, unaccented guy, who mistook me for someone else he'd had on hold; but while I had him on the line I cajoled him into answering my question.

Me: SKU#FG3, it says "Christys lining" but the other guy said you make all of your stuff yourselves.

(Dead silence on the other end. I decide to try something)

Me: Do you just use Christys' lining and the other materials are you own?

Unaccented Guy (Real fast): Yeah, yeah, we just use Christy's lining, and all of the other materials are our own.

Verbatim what I'd just said, in a very "Yes, that's right!" pseudo-reassuring manner.

So, they've branched out into false advertising now. I just thought that, if anyone still had any illusions or considerations about taking a shot... DON'T. They clearly not only lack customer service skills, they're outright crooks.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The whole site looks fishy.

There's a 'feedback' page that looks suspiciously like an ebay feedback page but without some minor details such as who wrote what, and guess what? Theres 100% positive feedback out of thousands of transactions. Whooda guessed?

Theres also a section that informs existing sellers that they can sell mensusa products, without having to stock any of the items themselves, I guess in an 'Amway' kind of arrangement. So who knows who you were talking to.

I doubt that hat is worth 49 cents, never mind $49.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
This is hilarious!

If you look at their website, you'll see lots of odd spellings etc, but most curious is the part that begins with "why people don't buy from you" framed by their 100% guarantee. That appears to have been copied from somewhere and ends mid-sentence.

I bet you could add a few things to "why people don't buy from you"!

Seriously, you might send an e-mail to Christy's and tell them they seem to be using fake liners - maybe they'll loose the legal hounds on the shysters.

- Bill

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I found this interesting...
From their website,
"25th Anniversary 50% OFF Sale"
So, 25 years of not needing customers or their money.
And the hat that is made by them (menusa) is...
"Individually Handcrafted & Imported"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"We don't want your business" means many things

"We will not stand behind our product - or our claims for it."
"We will not deal with anyone smarter than we are."
"Our time is worth more than your money. Pony up or get lost."
"We can fleece three people for what it takes to make one honest sale."
"We'll look to our reputation when we can take it to the bank."

People like this need to get respectable, essential, high accountability work, like office cleaning or street maintenance. Something where, if you don't get the job done, there are plenty more who will.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For $49 bucks I expect $49 bucks worth of product and service and all the cheese that comes with it. [huh]

Return policy proviso, "We have an unconditional return policy on all unworn, and unused new items purchased." Very subjective.

This is simply one of life's lessons. I suggest you do not waste any more time on this. :eusa_doh:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A label they staple on a lapel. (I dunno, I'm just riffing.)

Carlisle Blues said:
This is simply one of life's lessons.
Well...I'm the last guy to be Mr. Goody-Goody. I have no Eagle Scout badge. I even kind of understand the abstract free-market individualism behind "let the buyer beware." But seeing business people be that cavalier about screwing their customers really burns my bacon, and I'm old-fashioned enough to think they deserve being taken down a peg or two.

Carlisle Blues

Fletch said:
A label they staple on a lapel. (I dunno, I'm just riffing.)

Well...I'm the last guy to be Mr. Goody-Goody. I have no Eagle Scout badge. I even kind of understand the abstract free-market individualism behind "let the buyer beware." But seeing business people be that cavalier about screwing their customers really burns my bacon, and I'm old-fashioned enough to think they deserve being taken down a peg or two.

Fletch I am a maniac when it comes to consumer rights and am not exactly loved by corporations. In this case fighting the good fight when the prospective purchaser knows or should have known this was a cheesey outfit is a waste of effort and resources. [huh]

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Woodfluter said:
Seriously, you might send an e-mail to Christy's and tell them they seem to be using fake liners - maybe they'll loose the legal hounds on the shysters.

- Bill

Actually, that was a good idea. I've just gotten done composing and sending an e-mail to Christys politely informing them about my interaction (albeit in slightly less detail; I don't want to bog down some poor customer service worker with a two-page script/narrative) and pointing them towards the page. I'd hate for them to acquire a bad reputation because some slime sells a knockoff product using their name.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Yeah, they seem a little fishy. I really like the wording of the return policies and FAQ. :rolleyes: They say that they have "hassle-free return," at least for unused and unworn items, but:
1) You must notify the seller, get a return authorization number & return the item to them within 7 days of receipt;
2) There may be a 10% restocking fee;
3) There may also be a $25 charge for reasons wholly unexplained (See FAQ) . . .

Carlisle Blues

Sounds like this matter needs the services of an attorney.

I know a really effective law firm that will provide services at the Fedora Lounge Discount.
icon14.gif

38771228v4_350x350_Front_Color-Khaki.jpg

SGMSDCH.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
That whole site looks fishy...the wording sounds like some eastern European or middle east thing. I bet Christy's would like to know about this setup.

Carlisle Blues

COMPANY PROFILE:

We are a large-scale manufacturer in Germany and Italy and Wholesale-oriented in the United States and Canada. We specialize in manufacturing excellent selection of suits, tuxedo’s, sport coats, slacks, silk ties, shoes, and beautifully crafted fine cotton shirts. Since 1996, we Start selling on the web in Germanys Ebay under dress.up user name with %100 positive Feedback (Ebay Power Seller). In 2001 we decide to develop MensUSA.com in order to target Men’s Market in the United States with European clothing. Our WebSite is designed to allow customers to select and purchase apparel by themselves. Our Online Website atmosphere is very friendly, and there are no salesmen around!! Spend money for the real Quality, not a name (We Claim our product quality is same as Zegna and Canali). In MensUSA.com, we guarantee our product quality. The Authenticity of Products can be proved with your tailor. .

about1.jpg
The Crew at Men's USA :D

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Just for jollies...

...take a good look at the photo Carlisle Blues posted. It's rather interesting.

From the shadows cast on the white wall behind and the uneven top edge, the fake wood paneling appears to be two or three walls of a portable booth of some sort set up inside a building. They're trying to make it look like a showroom with the posters, signs, lamp - but it doesn't come off.

Suits might be suspended from suction cup hooks. The diagonal overhead sign...shouldn't it say MensUSA? But it says something else, artfully cut off - perhaps someone else's booth at a trade fair? High overhead lighting like an auditorium or trade show facility. Folding wood chairs in foreground. Three of them forgot to take off the convention badges.

These guys are a hoot.

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe