Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Jackets

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hello,

It's getting to be that time again in Canada. When the gophers run for cover, and the temp drops to -145 Degrees! I would really like to get a cool looking winter jacket that will be stylish, yet very funtional for the type of weather they have here.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Check out this Mackinaw-
pmac4.jpg

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/ccoats/mackinaw.html

This is pure vintage gold! New for around $200.

I love it.

B
T

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey,

I checked out the Aero shawl collar barnstormer and while it's a sweet looking jacket, I don't think it would be warm enough by a long shot. Remember it gets like -30 here...thats like...umm -22.0 F for all you US peoples.

The second one is ok, but here in Canada.....well we have the Paul Bunyan stereotypes to deal with. If that came in a solid color it would be cool!

Any other ideas? I was thinking military, but I want to get a jacket that looks classy and not like a Dungons and Dragons champ....if you know what I mean.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Murph,
The shawl collared barnstormer is lined in more than half inch thick shearling. I live in New York where mid January to mid March generally lingers from five to twenty degrees farenheit (far less if you factor in windchill) and need no more than a t-shirt beneath the coat. Keep in mind this coat was meant to be worn in an open cockpit during Winter.
Perhaps you should check out the USAAF B-3 which is among the warmest jackets of all-time and looks spiffy as well. There are several quality reproduction available (Aero, McCoy's, ELC, Lost Worlds...)
Barring that I suugest manfacturing a greatcoat from housing insulation and flaming napalm.

Witless Evil

New in Town
Okay. You asked for it

I had these guys make a coat for me that was based on the middle picture here. Cirrus Flying Jackets

It is by far the warmest coat I have ever had on. So warm that you are wise to limit your activity while you have it on even on very cold days. The best time to wear it is when it's about 0 degrees with a 30 knot wind blowing and you're standing around watching other people freeze. MMMMM, toasty.

I had them make it mid calf length, instead of knee length, and make the collar a little taller to cover my ears. It DEFINITELY attracts attention. This has been the only coat I've had that I thought I could actually survive in if something dire happened in the middle of winter.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
you know Filson is pretty kool I used to sell it when I worked at the Wharf here in the VTA.......oh and sorry for my absense work has been hectic and home puter decided to retire on its own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1