Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Aero FQHH jackets become a little wider after some years of wearing

XOX

New in Town
Hello everybody,
I am new here. So at first I want to introduce myself. My name is Philipp, I'm from Germany, 30 years old and working as a medical doctor. I am looking for a quality leather jacket. I tried a Aero 1930s Half Belt Slim Fit FQHH in size 40 at a retailer in Sinsheim Germany. The jacket fits quite well, but the shoulders and the sleeves are a bit tight, so I can hardly bend my arms more than 90° when wearing a T-shirt under the jacket. I am not a bodybuilder, but do a lot of climbing and work-out, so my arms might be a bit bigger than avarage. But I think if I go for a size 42 it would be to wide around my waist. Some people say that leather jackets will become a bit wider after some years of wearing them, so one should not buy them too "big". I have also made this experience with some lower end leather jackets made of thinner leather. So my questions to you is: What is your experience, does the FQHH leather "stretch" a little bit after some months/years of wearing?
Thank you for your help
Philipp

Edward

Bartender
It might stretch a bit, but if it's uncomfortably tight on your shoulders / chest with just a t-shirt on underneath, it's really too tight. I learned this the hard way myself... A Size 42 30s Halfbelt is about 45-46" over the shoulders, and 38" on the waist, in my experience. Rudi roun these parts had to have his 30s HB tapered from his shoulders to the waist, but really unless you like your jackets incredibly tight, or, like Rudi have a much higher chest to waist drop than the average, the 42 will be fine on you. What size of waist are you habitually wearing?

Might also be worth looking into the measurements of the Premium Halfbelt pattern, in case the 42 on that is just slimmer enough to suit you.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
I would try some of the other jackets, like the premier range. I had a Mulligan, which I think is similar to the standard 30's half belt, and it was slightly too big. The 1920's work coat in the same size is a much better fit.
How about a Premier Half belt or Highwayman in 42?

I do not think there is too much give in FQHH

thor

Call Me a Cab
Instead of the "slim-fit" half belt, why not try the 1950's regular (standard) half-belt? Aren't the sleeves and body cut a bit tighter/slimmer in the slim-fit?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Good call, Thor. My Bootlegger is a comfortable fit on me, and it's 42; I need a 44 in the prewar patterns. The Bootlegger is a Fifties / Regular halfbelt with a different front. I also wear a 42 in a Highwayman, which is boxy, as per the design intent, but not too big. Worth dropping Holly a line at Aero, she'll set you right too.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
The FQHH will stretch a bit to accommodate your body, but if it is too tight in the shoulders and chest, it is unlikely to stretch enough to be comfortable in the future. As a corollary, the FQHH won't become "wider" (stretched) in areas where there is a good fit.

As Pawineguy said, get the 42 and have Aero drop the waist to your measurement. That is why we like the custom jackets; they are made to fit us.

dan_t

Practically Family
Whilst no expert, I would imagine that a new jacket would 'relax' over time which may give the impression that it had stretched.
I dare say though, that this would be quite different from actually stretching upwards a whole size.
I say buy what fits now, not what you hope to fit in the future.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I know nothing about horse leather, but a cow leather will stretch, I stretched my boots, and the elbow of my jacket sleeve by force wearing it, and some mink oil. However there is also risk of busting the stitching if you over do it, so it is better to just try both sizes, look at the mirror, and see which one you're willing to compromise slimfit-ness or comfy.
my jacket that was measured to my size, with slimfit design, also fit my younger brother who is 10cm taller, 10 kilos heavier, and much more muscular than me, in fact it looks AWESOME on him, he said it was very tight on the shoulder, and elbow, but he can still move a round in it. So I size down my next jacket to get the same look fully aware it would compromise the comfortable factor for look, in thinner leather though.

zebedee

One Too Many
Yes, fqhh does stretch slightly. There's very little difference between how my size 40 Highwayman and size 38 LHB fit now in the shoulders. Over the abdomen (read: fat b'stard) the 38 was slightly tighter, but wearing a sweater under it and keeping it zipped up halfway sorted that out.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Like Edward said, if you have a bigger drop from chest to waist IMO your only route would be to have the jacket tapered. Aero are very accommodating when it comes to such issues. Both jackets I had without tapering didn't fit, both tapered jackets were keepers.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
My limited experience tells me this: if it sits on a shelf for a while and I put it on, it feels like it shrank. Once I've worn it for several hours, it feels like it is as soft as butter and that it has stretched. I think temperature of the leather is a factor. Also movement of the leather while stretched over my body's contours affected my perception of stretch. But the next time I put it on it feels like it has shrunk again slightly...maybe it is just stiff because it's cold. My leather shoes are not this way. Once they are stretched out, they stay stretched out. I'm also curious as to what will be the end result months down the road.

XOX

New in Town
Thank you very much for all the answers.
@I would go out tonight: How does the cut of the "Premier 1930s half belt" differ from the "1930s half belt slim fit"? Judging by the photos on the Aero-website the sleeves and chest part of the "Premier 1930s half belt" look even tighter than the "1930 half belt slim fit". Is that correct?

I just took some measurements by myself:
Shoulders 127cm
Chest 110cm
Waist 87,5cm

Cooperson

One Too Many
Apart from the vintage style collar, the cut of the Premier 1930's half belt feels trimmer. The back is less puffy, so can feel a bit restrictive when reaching forward. The sleeves have higher cut arm holes and are slimmer, cuffs are are quite snug. I'd say you need a slim frame to wear the Premier pattern, particularly in a heavy hide. Hope this helps.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
As far as I understand it the premier jackets are the slimmest fitting that Aero have done. My recent experience is with a Mulligan and a 20's Work Coat. I have a 45 inch chest and normally wear a 44 suit jacket. I had a Mulligan in 46, which I believe is a similar fit to a 30's half belt. It was slightly too big for me. The work coat in 46 is a great fit suggesting that the work coat is slimmer fitting. The most noticeable areas for me are across the stomach and the shoulder and triceps area. These are much neater on the work coat, but not overly tight.

Although The Mulligan is a beautiful jacket, it just felt too roomy. The work coat feels perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally