Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why vintage?

^^^^^^^
There will come a day that none of us will live to see when people will just shake their heads at how people of our time had pedestrians and bicyclists sharing the same pavement as automobiles and large trucks. There have been some safety improvements in recent years, but unless and until anti-collision technologies (not just after-the-fact stuff, such as airbags and crumple zones and all that) get a helluva lot better, I just pray for the people on bicycles.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to jump out of the way of cars whose drivers failed to notice me crossing a street. Too frequently people who can’t jump out of the way, people with various disabilities, suffer injuries, some of them fatal.

^^^^^^^
There will come a day that none of us will live to see when people will just shake their heads at how people of our time had pedestrians and bicyclists sharing the same pavement as automobiles and large trucks. There have been some safety improvements in recent years, but unless and until anti-collision technologies (not just after-the-fact stuff, such as airbags and crumple zones and all that) get a helluva lot better, I just pray for the people on bicycles.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to jump out of the way of cars whose drivers failed to notice me crossing a street. Too frequently people who can’t jump out of the way, people with various disabilities, suffer injuries, some of them fatal.
As a pedestrian I walk the streets as a paranoid....reciting the mantra....."Just because you are a paranoid, does not make you wrong."

^^^^^^^
Red traffic signals and white lines on pavement have proven incapable of physically stopping a motor vehicle. But I can envision technologies that would. I hesitate to predict when (or even if) that might happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007