Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who got comments today?

Okay, this happens to me every Halloween. Who else got it today? I'm about the city and people insult me by making comments about my "costume". Every year I think I should dress down. I even thought of going out as an American slob but I didn't have the engergy to make a shirt that read "This is how horrible you look the rest of the year"

Regards,

Senator Jack

shamus

Suspended
No comments today as I'm in regular work clothes, but a few years ago...

I show up halloween wearing my finest leisure suit, big bells, orange zip up boots and extreme pointy 70's poly shirt.

Now I know I look like I was an extra on boogie nights but not one person of about 90 or so even batted an eye. Now this was 2000 or so not 1978. I as as the britts say gobsmacked!

Zach R.

Practically Family
Actually, it was the wierdest thing, most of the people I know asked me why I *wasn't* dressed up in a costume for Halloween, and they were sincere.

Bear in mind, I have gotten the oddest looks for just wearing a button-down in the past, and today I was wearing a shirt-tie combo with my Akubra.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I had a lady at the grocery store tell me she loved my hat, and that I looked like her father from years ago. Fuuny, I got the same comment, wearing a different suit and hat, several weeks ago at a grocery store in Denver.

I did have somebody tell me on Friday that I looked like a detective, and then they asked if it was my costume. I said, "No, I dress like this every day."

Brad

Johnnysan

One Too Many
The stars must be in alignment...

Brad Bowers said:
I had a lady at the grocery store tell me she loved my hat, and that I looked like her father from years ago. Fuuny, I got the same comment, wearing a different suit and hat, several weeks ago at a grocery store in Denver.

I did have somebody tell me on Friday that I looked like a detective, and then they asked if it was my costume. I said, "No, I dress like this every day."

Brad

I had the same thing happen to me earlier today, Brad. While shopping at the local Office Depot, I suddenly felt the lightest touch on my left sleeve just below my elbow. I turned to find an elderly lady of about 80 smiling up at me who explained that she had to compliment me on my hat. She said that her late husband had worn them throughout his lifetime and that she was so happy to find that there were still gentleman who knew how to dress.

Despite the cold rainy weather outside, I felt like a million bucks! :cheers1:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Johnnysan said:
I had the same thing happen to me earlier today, Brad. While shopping at the local Office Depot, I suddenly felt the lightest touch on my left sleeve just below my elbow. I turned to find an elderly lady of about 80 smiling up at me who explained that she had to compliment me on my hat. She said that her late husband had worn them throughout his lifetime and that she was so happy to find that there were still gentleman who knew how to dress.

Despite the cold rainy weather outside, I felt like a million bucks! :cheers1:
Now that really is a great compliment. I would have expected some comments myself today...but not a one.
Cream colored B! Wear 8 panel cap, white dress shirt with red vintage 1940s tie, Bill's Khaki's and brown cap toe shoes. Well, maybe tomorrow...;)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've had great responces to my Wested leather jacket With either one of my fedoras or my Gatsby cap. Not a single "Hey Indy" or snide remark. When I wear my Wested & Gatsby I sort of have that Red Pollard look. I usually get good comments wherever I go, and thats my everyday type dress. Go figure.

Cheers!

Dan

matei

One Too Many
Ha ha - the idea to go as a slob was a good one... Me aul man suggested that as well, but I actually don't have the proper clothing (thankfully)!

I actually get less comments than I did when we were living in Ireland, but I manage one a week - "hey its the gangster" or something equally inane.

However, yesterday being Halloween, I did get one really dumb one. Some dozy bint asked me if I was a cowboy. Now I was wearing a grey wool suit, Art Deco-style tie and a grey Akubra Federation. Cowboy? Come on...

I told her instead that I was a Storage Analyst (that is what I actually do) for Halloween. She walked away puzzled.

*sigh*

I have a job like yer man from Friends... No one quite knows what it is, and it isn't interesting (or easy) to explain to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally