Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who are the 43 people responsible for Goddard's honorary Academy Award?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I understand that 43 members of [a committee??] are responsible for an honorary Academy Award - some sort of lifetime achievement award, perhaps - that will be given to the French director, Goddard. Please provide a link to the identification of these 43 people.

Long Overdue.

I guess it would be the board of governors. Link below list.

Board of Governors 2009–2010

* Dede Allen
* Craig Barron
* Curt Behlmer
* Carl Bell
* Annette Bening
* James D. Bissell
* Rosemary Brandenburg
* James L. Brooks
* Bruce Broughton
* Donn Cambern
* Martha Coolidge
* Caleb Deschanel
* Richard Edlund
* Leonard Engelman
* Rob Epstein
* Charles Fox
* Robert G. Friedman
* Sid Ganis
* Jim Gianopulos
* Mark Goldblatt
* Don Hall
* Arthur Hamilton
* Tom Hanks
* Curtis Hanson
* Mark Johnson
* Kathleen Kennedy
* Hawk Koch
* Bill Kroyer
* Jeffrey Kurland
* John Lasseter
* Marvin Levy
* Lynne Littman
* Kevin O'Connell
* Richard Pearce
* Frank Pierson
* Robert Rehme
* Phil Alden Robinson
* Owen Roizman
* Tom Sherak
* Bill Taylor
* Henry Winkler
* Vilmos Zsigmond
* Edward Zwick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Motion_Picture_Arts_and_Sciences#Current_administration_of_the_Academy

Last edited:

Naphtali

Practically Family
Long Overdue.

I guess it would be the board of governors. Link below list.

Board of Governors 2009–2010 . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Motion_Picture_Arts_and_Sciences#Current_administration_of_the_Academy
Many thanks for these data. While my head informs me that you are almost certainly correct, my gut is saying Michael Moore should be on the list. And if my gut is correct, possibly there may be other substitutions??

I'm thinking I should query or telephone the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and ask?

Naphtali

Practically Family
You refer to Goddard. I assume you mean not Paulette Goddard but Jean-Luc Godard. A rather dubious character overall.
I do refer to Jean-Luc Godard. You have written tactfully. I want to be certain I will not contribute a penny to any of the 43 by patronizing their work. To accomplish this I must know who each one is.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a fan, though I've seen several of his films over the years. I think he's far more important as an influence on filmmakers who came after him than for his own work. And the continuing accusations of anti-Semitism don't endear him to me either.

Anyway, I can't say that I'm very enthused about this honor. (Of course, since when does who gets awarded the Oscars make any sense?!?)

Tom Hanks is going to be pretty hard to avoid. Almost ubiquitous these days, ain't he?

I do refer to Jean-Luc Godard. You have written tactfully. I want to be certain I will not contribute a penny to any of the 43 by patronizing their work. To accomplish this I must know who each one is.

I think this is right. He is quite niche, I think, as a filmmaker. However the influence is everywhere. As for the anti-Semitism, I think it's a little more than accusation. he was quite candid in many interviews. Though we must be careful of course to separate anti-Israel and anti-Semitism. I think he suffers from both afflictions. I am also of the opinion that this is irrelevant as regards judging his films.

(Note to overzealous bartenders: the preceding is not political, but philosophical, and implies no association or dissociation from any of the views put forth by Jean-Luc Goddard, about which I have my own opinions but they are not appropriate for the FLounge. I know you tend to have trouble parsing these matters and treat all such matters with pre-emption. But this thread does have some potential for being a good one.)

I'm not a fan, though I've seen several of his films over the years. I think he's far more important as an influence on filmmakers who came after him than for his own work. And the continuing accusations of anti-Semitism don't endear him to me either.

Anyway, I can't say that I'm very enthused about this honor. (Of course, since when does who gets awarded the Oscars make any sense?!?)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld