Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White residue on Stetson hat

Martin6

New in Town
Howdy,

I am a hat amateur, and so I bought a black Stetson 4x Beaver on a whim because I liked the sort-of lightly-speckled look it had. I also liked the style and fit.

Then... it got wet, and then the white speckles turned into large white stains. (Which later wiped off mostly with a damp cloth.) Turns out maybe the stiffener was applied wrong or something like that?

So... is there anything I can/should do, or just enjoy it as is and try not to get it wet?

Thanks.

Howdy,

I am a hat amateur, and so I bought a black Stetson 4x Beaver on a whim because I liked the sort-of lightly-speckled look it had. I also liked the style and fit.

Then... it got wet, and then the white speckles turned into large white stains. (Which later wiped off mostly with a damp cloth.) Turns out maybe the stiffener was applied wrong or something like that?

So... is there anything I can/should do, or just enjoy it as is and try not to get it wet?

Thanks.
Sounds like the white speckles were mold spores to me & now the spores are growing into blotches after getting wet. The hat may have been stored in a damp humid environment like a musty basement or garage & that’s where the spores started. First make sure the felt is completely dry after you got it wet. Set it in the sun for a couple hrs if necessary. Once you are certain that the felt is dry use a medium stiff brush (bristles similar to a toothbrush for stiffness) & thoroughly brush the felt clean (counterclockwise on topside, clockwise on bottom side). Do this outdoors so as not to introduce those spores inside your living space. I would then use the furniture duster brush on a canister vacuum cleaner to vacuum the hat, if you have one available. Or finish up with a fine horsehair brush. In the future make sure your hat is thoroughly dry before you store it away. Unless you live in a humid, wet environment no further precautions should be necessary.

Reactions: RBH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88