Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which solution / dye to use to cover faded areas of leather jacket

mihai

A-List Customer
Hi everybody,

I need your help in this matter.
I have a couple of leather jackets (G-1's among) that have some small abrasion areas where the paint came off, some scuffs and areas where paint is slightly peeled-off. Not so widespread but they give that distressed look that I'm not into that much.
What could I use to cover / darken-up those areas with some similar color, not to look that obvious as it is now?

Thanks in advance!

mihai

A-List Customer
hi greg,
Yes true distressed is sought-after but I want to be able to wear them also day by day at work. People are likely not very familiar with vintage, distressed and usually dress quite formal. I'm neither the suit and tie nor John Stone (you know square shades, on probation at the Brotherhood) type. I just want to wear what makes me happy while keeping a low enough profile.
About selling those, while I enjoy a lot online shopping I find selling too much of a hassle. Living in Europe is one of the reasons. I find that in the US people know better how to do business, dealing with them is a richer experience. I also happen to have got good deals on the items we talk about, they fit right(so difficult to get it with distance purchases) I like them and I invested quite some time in hunting them. Either way you put it it's complicated :(

Last edited:

Enough

One of the Regulars
Feibings professional dye is a super high quality leather dye which produces very rich colors. Test before using at $6 a bottle is is worth buying a few to get the color your need.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you have Pecard in Europe, you might try rubbing it in where the leather is abraded. If you have no Pecard, the Germans have some excellent leather conditioners. They are the consistency of Pecard, which is about the same as grease. Goes by the name of lederbalsam or lederphlege--creme. Effax is one brand I have used. Another is Bienenwachs. I have used it on saddles and other tack when it got scratches or abrasions. Good luck. PC

Plumbline

One Too Many
I'd probably go down the road of one of the "renovating creams" ... WOLLY do a great range of colours which will not only cover up scratches but will also shine up a treat and they have a considerable amount of colour in them so choose as close as you can.

Alternatively there are a number of suppliers of products for furniture repairs - particularly leather sofas - i know I have used Furniture Clinic's products on car seats to great effect on covering scuffs on front seat bolsters etc.

HTH

mihai

A-List Customer
Lots of interesting options that I was not aware of. Now I have to evaluate them and see which fits best to my situation.
Thanks a lot for the answers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe