Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which leather jacket for motorcycle (preferably brown) ?

JazzTrain

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I wish to buy a leather jacket to use both for riding a motorcycle (removeable armor is a plus) and for everyday life. My favorite color is brown so my options are more limited than black.

I found two models that I am interested in, the original Vanson model A in Brandy Roma (AR2 EBRA) and the Fox Creek Leather Grayson (but only in black color). Both are nicely priced considering the quality.
Anyone knows what is the thickness of the leather of the brandy roma leather for Vanson ? Is it suitable for riding ? They say that it is softer but they don't specify the resistance to abrasion.
For the people that are familiar with the sizing of these brands, I am 1m80 tall and weigh about 73kg and usually wear a size 40 or Medium and my chest is around 102 cm. I should buy a size 40 in both cases ?

If you have other brands or jacket to recommend, do not hesitate, especially if they have a brown option.

Thank you and have a good day

Edward

Bartender
Vanson are great quality wise and in terms of ppe, though oersonally I find them limited if you want armour as all their designs that take it are much too modern for my tastes. Ymmv, of course.

Goldtop https://goldtop.co.uk/ in England are worth a look. Quality is superb at that price, and I believe the entire range can take armour. I'm intending in due course to buy a 617 myself as an alternative to a Lewis Lightning now those have shot well beyond what I can justify spending on one jacket. Pretty much all models are available in a tan/brown; the 70s style Bobber models I think in a darker brown as well. Worth a look. Their gloves are excellent too, all ECE rated (as are the jackets now).

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
I'm probably not the right guy to answer your question directly but I do see a perspective shared on this site often that strikes a chord w/ me.

As I type this note I am recuperating from recent surgery to have my medial malleolus screwed back onto my tibia such that my foot would not wobble around on the end of my shifting leg. I rode more than 400 miles w/ that foot snapped off such that I could get back home and I'm thankful that I chose to wear my Chippewa boots that day rather than my Aerostich boots as that likely saved me from a crushed foot.

I don't want to be the guy that says controversial stuff in his second post but if you're looking for protection, versatility and a solution to more of the unexpected challenges that can crop up on a ride I would suggest that you not look at a leather jacket as the ideal riding gear. It would have been years ago and it's still great if all you're doing is sliding around on a track but it has been my experience that textile solutions are much better outside the track environment.

JazzTrain

New in Town
Thank you for your awnser Edward, I am checking out the Goldtop Jacket and they seem to be what I want.

Thanks for your safety concerns Trouser Bark, I already own a textile motorcycle jacket with protective armor and protective boots and I plan to buy an airbag in the near future.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Buy the Vanson. They also have a less fancy but probably more abrasion resistant brown leather that is basically their Conp Weight but in brown. Send them a message and ask for brown leather options available.

I am 1,78m tall and 80 kg and I wear the Enfield in size 38. I also own a number of size 40 Vansons but they are all on the larger side. If I had to guess, I would think a size 38 probably fits you better at 73 kg.

Lynford Andrews

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I wish to buy a leather jacket to use both for riding a motorcycle (removeable armor is a plus) and for everyday life. My favorite color is brown so my options are more limited than black.

I found two models that I am interested in, the original Vanson model A in Brandy Roma (AR2 EBRA) and the Fox Creek Leather Grayson (but only in black color). Both are nicely priced considering the quality.
Anyone knows what is the thickness of the leather of the brandy roma leather for Vanson ? Is it suitable for riding ? They say that it is softer but they don't specify the resistance to abrasion.
For the people that are familiar with the sizing of these brands, I am 1m80 tall and weigh about 73kg and usually wear a size 40 or Medium and my chest is around 102 cm. I should buy a size 40 in both cases ?

If you have other brands or jacket to recommend, do not hesitate, especially if they have a brown option.

Thank you and have a good day

Schambach

Practically Family
The roma leather is definitely thinner than the comp weight. It reminds me a lot of Schotts naked cowhide. Substantial, but I'd much prefer the thicker comp weight in a slide. As jacketjunkie said, they do have other brown leathers available, but they aren't fancy.

Another option would be the Vanson/Union Garage V7, it's available in Oxblood, and the leather is very nice.

Chigger

New in Town
I have a Lost Worlds Easy Rider for over ten years and I love it. I wear it almost every time I ride. I am 5' 9" and 167 lbs, A 38 fits me great with a t shirt under and maybe 1 warmer layer, but starts to get crowded in the middle of winter. This jacket is incredible. you can also wear one of the many armored base layers under it.

Good luck in your search

Jimi3legs

New in Town
Thank you for your awnser Edward, I am checking out the Goldtop Jacket and they seem to be what I want.

Thanks for your safety concerns Trouser Bark, I already own a textile motorcycle jacket with protective armor and protective boots and I plan to buy an airbag in the near future.
I can highly recommend goldtop. I have the caferacer 76 in oxblood. I’ve got many riding jackets including a Lewis super phantom. The goldtop is exceptional, especially for it price. Quality is top shelf, looks and wears brilliantly. Rated AAA and level 2 means it’s a true safe riding jacket

JazzTrain

New in Town
I can highly recommend goldtop. I have the caferacer 76 in oxblood. I’ve got many riding jackets including a Lewis super phantom. The goldtop is exceptional, especially for it price. Quality is top shelf, looks and wears brilliantly. Rated AAA and level 2 means it’s a true safe riding jacket
Thanks, I am really interested in this jacket. Do you have photos of the oxblood color ? In some photos it looks dark brown and in some other more red (I guess it is due to the lighting).

Jimi3legs

New in Town
Thanks, I am really interested in this jacket. Do you have photos of the oxblood color ? In some photos it looks dark brown and in some other more red (I guess it is due to the lighting).
Some shots in sun and one in shade. It’s a very nice dark brown with a hint of reddish down deep. I really like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1819.jpeg
    IMG_1819.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1821.jpeg
    IMG_1821.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 62

Jimi3legs

New in Town
Further to my previous reply. I really feel this jacket sits in a much higher price bracket. Easily double. I have a Lewis leathers super phantom and the gold top easily matches it in quality of materials, build and tailoring. They are an absolute steal.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
The roma leather is definitely thinner than the comp weight. It reminds me a lot of Schotts naked cowhide. Substantial, but I'd much prefer the thicker comp weight in a slide. As jacketjunkie said, they do have other brown leathers available, but they aren't fancy.

Another option would be the Vanson/Union Garage V7, it's available in Oxblood, and the leather is very nice.
The V7 is great, but it's been sold out in oxblood since about 2018. Oxblood being basically octagon dyed overly long, and they can't source octagon anymore since the tannery that made it burned down and no longer exists.

Schambach

Practically Family
The V7 is great, but it's been sold out in oxblood since about 2018. Oxblood being basically octagon dyed overly long, and they can't source octagon anymore since the tannery that made it burned down and no longer exists.
Ah, I wasn't aware that's what the oxblood was. I've handled it and it's impressive. Union Garage shows one 46 in stock, now I kinda want it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads