Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did Dobbs stop making the Twenty?

jtrenalone

New in Town
Hello All,
I have not been posting as much lately, (very busy) but reading a lot.

I have combed the sight and have not found an answer to this question, so thought I would ask.

I just bought a used Dobbs twenty in very nice condition ( I will post some pictures). It does NOT have a plastic cover inside the top of the lining.

I am trying to date it, and was wondereing if anyone knows when Dobbs (or whoever made Dobbs (Hatco?)) stoped making the Twenty hats?
Thanks,
Joel

Pardon me if you already know this, but ...

Back when hat manufacturers used those number designations (5, 10, 15, 20, 25 ... 100) it was to distinguish varying quality levels, with the number corresponding to dollars in the suggested retail price. A Stetson 15 was a 15 dollar hat, for instance.

Many manufacturers offered numerous styles at the same price levels. So one Stetson 20 might be a very different hat from another Stetson 20.

I couldn't tell you when, exactly, that practice changed. I wanna say late '50s, because I happen to have a Stetson 20 which I know dates from 1957, and I don't recall seeing hats more recent than that with those sorts of numbers on the sweatbands or liners.

And ...

I'm something of a fan of that way of pricing. I mean really, a hat priced at $9.99 is a 10 buck hat, right?

What really peeves me is when that's done with real estate asking prices. It's as if a person interested in a house priced at $299,995 would be scared off by the same house priced at $300,000.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Seems they had $20.00 hats until the original business ended(HCA 1972). The models designated "Twenty" I've definitely seen from early 1960's at least.

rlk said:
Seems they had $20.00 hats until the original business ended(HCA 1972). The models designated "Twenty" I've definitely seen from early 1960's at least.

Interesting, that. A $20 hat well into the '60s and even the '70s.

Can't say I've run across one. But then, I suspect that production numbers, which had been in decline for decades, took a pronounced dive during that period, so relatively few examples were made. And way, way fewer would still be around, of course.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
Interesting, that. A $20 hat well into the '60s and even the '70s.

Can't say I've run across one. But then, I suspect that production numbers, which had been in decline for decades, took a pronounced dive during that period, so relatively few examples were made. And way, way fewer would still be around, of course.
Unfortunately pay per view

Display Ad 1 -- No Title
Pay-Per-View - Hartford Courant - ProQuest Archiver - Feb 11, 1967
5220181 Thurstil 9 A friend askedDont you have anything but twenty dollar hats Sure we do At $14.95 we have DOBBS UNIVERSITY MODEL It's a fine hat Just try ...

Display Ad 95 -- No Title
Pay-Per-View - Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Dec 7, 1966
in miniature boxwith hat and let him choose the style he likes DobbsAdmiralty $15.00 Other Dobbs and Townway felt and doth hats $5.95 to $25.00 ...

4802384093_2ca0ed53cf_b.jpg

jtrenalone

New in Town
Thank you for all the information.

I guess I should have phrased the question "when did the "twenty" label for Dobbs stopped being used."

Below are some images of hat I just bought for $35. It is in very nice shape, so I wondered what year it could be from. I was also thinking that the "twenty" could not have been used much passed the early 60's.

I just wondered, since this hat is in such nice shape.
Thanks,
Joel

DSCN2532.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

DSCN2536.JPG

DSCN2539.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Upload to photobucket, link from there using the IMG code. It takes everyone a few tries.

jtrenalone

New in Town
OK, Got the pictures loaded...

Also, this Twenty has trolly cord (string?). Was this a trait of earlier hats?

I am enjoying teh historical information, and getting a better idea of the date of this and other hats,
Thanks,
Joel

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jtrenalone said:
OK, Got the pictures loaded...

Also, this Twenty has trolly cord (string?). Was this a trait of earlier hats?

I am enjoying teh historical information, and getting a better idea of the date of this and other hats,
Thanks,
Joel
Check the Dobbs Diner Thread for its twin posted yesterday. 60's date, hard to be more specific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe