Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's to see and do in Washington DC?

Edward

Bartender
So... as of a week or two ago, I'm unexpectedly going to be spending a few days in Washington DC in the middle of June. I'm mostly there for a conference - this is a work trip rather than holiday - but I have a couple of days before the event begins to see a little of the city. I've always wanted to have my photo taken sitting up on Abe Lincoln's knee, but I gather the statue is a little large for that? What do folks recommend? I'd like to take a bus tour of some sort to catch all the main sites, maybe do a little shopping.. anything/where in particular for which I should look out - or avoid?

Oh.. and what's the weather like in DC in June? Would I be right in assuming I should leave the leather at home and stick to linen? (If it helps, heat being relative, even after nearly thirteen years of living over here I find London can be unbearably hot in July/August... in Dubai, I would die). Am I likely to experience significant rain?

Any and all advice gratefully accepted!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The big problem in June is not the heat, but the humidity. Typical temps would be about 85-90F, with anywhere fro
50%-90% humidity. To give you some idea, my mother-in-law, who lives in south Florida, says it's more humid here. As for things to see and do: the Smithsonion museums are metro-accessable and free. There are bus tours for all the monuments, as well as Arlington Cemetary. If you have free weekday time, contact your Representative's office for info on a tour of Congress. As for food and shopping, it really depends on your tastes, ie ethnic, upscale, hip and trendy, ect. It also makes a huge difference if you are staying in the city or the suburbs.

It has been many years since I went to DC, but I was most taken with the Lincoln Memorial, the Smithsonian and the White House tour. I wanted to go on the FBI tour but that fell through. We went over to Arlington Cemetery and that was a great visit. Also visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is one of the best somber places if you get to see the changing of the guard.

It is so long ago I have no memory of dining out.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My fav restaurant is Founding Farmers down near K Street. I haven't been down to the White House since 9/11 but I've heard that security is such a hassle that it isn't worth it. As for driving in the city, it all depends on what you're used to. I love driving in the city. Cabs are really expensive and the metro doesn't run all night like NYC. It's also really unreliable. As for the whole "danger" issue: again, it depends on what you're used to. There are very few areas of the city I wouldn't go to during the day. At night, you're fine as long as you use basic city awareness.

rue

Well, living in Virginia for about 6 years, I went there quite a few times and even though I grew up in Los Angeles and went up to San Francisco quite a bit, it made those two look like nothing as far as driving and crime in my experience, but as Kamikat said it depends on what you're used to.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I've been to Washington quite a few times on business. I agree wholeheartedly with the advice about driving in Washington. I've done it, but prefer to use the metro (subway system) whenever feasible. I also agree with the warnings about sticking to the safer parts of town. All that being said, Washington is a beautiful city and the National Mall is a treasure. The statue of old Abe is a bit tall to be climbing up on his knee, and the security personnel would most likely take exception to that anyway. I'm partial to the Museum of American history. Depending on the specific exhibits on display when you're there you should be able to see a lot of vintage memorabilia. I also love the Air & Space museum. Normally they have a small sliver of a moon rock near the main entrance that you can touch. I wish I was going to be in the Washington area at that time, I'd try to meet up with you to welcome you to this side of the pond, but I'll be taking the wife and one of my daughters to Florida for a short holiday in the middle of June.

P.S. If you have time you should really try to take in the Holocaust Museum. It's somewhat depressing, but something that is well worth the time.

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
People, really! Are you trying to scare the gentleman? I was born and raised in DC. I've run around all areas of the city. As long as you don't look and act like a rube or a country bumpkin, you won't have any troubles. Rue, you really think DC has more crime than LA? In the 1980's, it was a rough city but not any more. I'm sure you don't go wondering around South Central or Compton. No tourist is going to find himself wondering around the projects at night unless he really wants to. This ain't Marion Barry's D.C. Edward, I'm sure living in London has taught you how to behave in a city.

rue

lol No I don't hang out there, but I've actually been in those areas. I lived in Va from 2000 to 2005, but maybe I'm wrong and it's changed. I can't argue with a local. Just try telling me what it's like in LA when you're not from there and you'll have an argument, so I understand ;)

More than anything I was talking about driving. I couldn't figure out where to go and it was really busy, much busier than anywhere besides NY. I don't use subways, so I use a cab [huh]

Oh and apparently Edward is used to hooligans from what I've read, so I'm sure he'll be fine ;)

Bassman

A-List Customer
Went to DC earlier this month and stayed in the Capitol Hill area which is pretty much walking distance to the national mall and all the monuments and museums along it.
Had a great (but pricey) dinner at a restaurant called 701 (its address on Pennsylvania Ave.)
Beautiful city and attractions!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, Edward is coming from London. Driving there is crazy!!! DC may be crowded but it's easy. It's on a grid. Numbered streets go north and south and lettered streets for east and west. The problem is that our subway is not nearly as extensive as other cities'. There are places that locals know you HAVE to drive to. If you plan on spending the whole day at the National Zoo, you need to drive or cab because the metro station is a long walk. Same if you're going to eat in Adams Morgan. There's no station near the Kennedy Center or Georgetown. Someone who is used to the London or NYC subways will get really frustrated. However, it is much easier to learn than those.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I lived in the DC area from 2001-2006 and I would second Kamikat, yes there are bad areas, yes driving inside DC is crazy, but no worse than other big cities, and at least as far as driving goes DC is not really a "big city" so I find less of a bother than others. Metro works well, but DC goes to bed to early compared to New York so it can be a long wait at night for the metro...

I recomend the Mall and the Smithsonian. I highly recommend the National Gallery and also the Freer and Sackler Asian art museum. Air and Space is also well worth a visit. Union Station is also worth seeing. If you like Churches the National Cathedral and the Shrine of the Imaculate Conception are both nice.

If you want urban quirky, night life, a variety of good restuarants both Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan are worth a visit (some better plances in Adams Morgan in my limited experience). If you want 18th architecture, some good restaurants and pubs both Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria are worth seeing (I would give the nod to Alexandria over Georgetown, but that's my bias).

Outside of DC there are some other great places to see Mt. Vernon, Annapolis, and then there is the whole Chesapeake Bay, Eastern Shore of Maryland, the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia, etc. But thats probably too far afield.

Last edited:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
In regards to driving, everyone should remember that you drive on opposite sides of the road in London and in DC :p
So, unless Edward's used to driving on both sides (I imagine, living in GB means having plenty of chances to go over to the European continent and drive on the opposite side) and won't get mixed up when making right and left turns and end up going to the opposite way, it might be best to meet up with a local friend who's willing to drive you around while doing some catching up :)

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, folks - I'll definitely peruse all those suggestions. I think a bus tour for the main monuments will be my first option. No worries about driving - I wouldn't attempt it. I haven't driven at all in the nearly thirteen years I've been in London (thankfully, however imperfect public transport might be here, it's still good enough that I have no need to resort to a money-pit with four wheels ;) ).

P.S. If you have time you should really try to take in the Holocaust Museum. It's somewhat depressing, but something that is well worth the time.

I will try and check that out - don't they have one of the box cars from the trains for Birkenau there? I visited Auschwitz and Birkenau when I was in Poland back in '00. Probably the creepiest, most distressing place I've ever been (Culloden games me the chills big time, but nothing like this), but I am glad I went. I'm firmly of the opinion that while demonisation is counter-productive, the Holocaust and all its victims, Jewish and otherwise, should never be forgotten lest we permit it to happen again.

People, really! Are you trying to scare the gentleman? I was born and raised in DC. I've run around all areas of the city. As long as you don't look and act like a rube or a country bumpkin, you won't have any troubles. Rue, you really think DC has more crime than LA? In the 1980's, it was a rough city but not any more. I'm sure you don't go wondering around South Central or Compton. No tourist is going to find himself wondering around the projects at night unless he really wants to. This ain't Marion Barry's D.C. Edward, I'm sure living in London has taught you how to behave in a city.

lol Yeah, I'm sure I'll be fine. It's not fully finalised yet, but I understand I'm to be staying in the Georgetown Uni area (where the conference is), and when I'm in a strange city at night I'm always careful where I wander. I'm a lot braver in downtown Beijing than I was once, but I know the place a lot better now. Same goes for anywhere, really. Most likely I will - as is normal for me in a new city when I'm travelling alone - get on the go earlier in the morning; leaving at 9:30am and being back at around ten is quite a long day when you're on the move the whole time, allows a lot to be fitted in.

I' really hoping DC can match the shops of tourist tat around Times Square - every trip I make anywhere in the world, I do try to locate the local equivalent of the straw donkey. My favourites so far are the waving Chairman Mao watch and the Statue of Liberty lighter. I do wish I'd bought some of the 9/11 themed souvenirs in NYC, though; nobody back here fully believes me when I describe them. I'd quite like some nice toy soldiers from the War of Independence era, especially if they focussed on the Founding Fathers.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
DC just isn't as tourist-y as NYC. However, if you're looking for the tacky stuff, one fun thing to do is down in front of the White House. There are cardboard versions of presidents for you to have your picture taken with. Even today, Bill Clinton is the most popular one. Georgetown Uni area is a very nice area.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Yes, they have one of the boxcars at the Holocaust Museum. They also had a huge wooden gate from Auschwitz and a lot of other artifacts. It's been a few years since I was there, but I wouldn't imagine that the exhibits change as often as they might in other museums. Perhaps the most distressing exhibit for me was walking through a room that was covered in thousands of shoes belonging to actual victims, it really drove home the magnitude of the Holocaust.

Hopefully Edward's trip to DC won't be anything like this. lol

Cledus Maggard -- Virgil And The $300 Vacation (1976)

[video=youtube;z0jSR3od97M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jSR3od97M[/video]

kyboots

Practically Family
I would strongly recommend the Air and Space Museum and several hours there. You won't regret it. Go to the Lincoln Memorial after dark and sit down and look back over toward the Washington Monument; a nice place to sit a spell. Then as Rue said go to the Williard for a few drinks. ---- John

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe