Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I downloaded Wagon Train the other day.
Yeah I know, a western....
Wasn't too bad, I just wanted to see why it was popular.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I watched The Return of Sherlock Holmes (the Jeremy Brett series) episode, The Priory School, twice. Once with commentary track and the second on its own. There's so much about this one to enjoy: the locations, the oppressively wet and cold weather, and director John Madden's--not to be confused with that NFL person-- interesting direction (and commentary), with several scenes filmed in such a creative style. I like how Madden moves his camera just before Holmes and Dr. Huxtable (Christopher Benjamin) go to see the Duke ("That will never do."), the scene at the Hayes residence ("Insufferable lout." "How is it, Watson?"---"It is disgusting, Holmes.") and the tragedy of losing a son.

IMO The Priory School is one of the best episodes of that second series, with one of the most touching endings. "You have given me back my future", says the Duke of Holdernesse to Holmes after having handed the latter a cheque for £12,000. The scene afterwards, with the Duke lovingly watching his son go to school and the scenes of the lad frolicking among the other students while the boy's choir sings on the soundtrack is the series' most touching moment, yet is never mawkish or sentimental.

There ought to be a Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes thread.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Well Nathan, ask if they'd let you do it.
Maybe a Sherlock Holmes thread, for Rathbone and Brett, that way you get the entire crowd....
I know there were many others playing the character, but honestly...better than these 2?
I think not...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Great show....loved the ending!:)

[video=vimeo;28453798]http://vimeo.com/28453798[/video]

Nanny Ogg

New in Town
Today I finished the last series of 4400. Tv-show is not new, but I found it now. I recommend it highly!
[video=youtube;DMBcyt_CRM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMBcyt_CRM4[/video]

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
Mad Men

And it was AWESOME, they said in a magazine article everything on set was sourced from everywhere and it was authentic...LOVE that. I used to sit and look at everything in the shot and wonder where they got it from.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The season finale of Futurama on Comedy Central. Another brilliant episode, capping a great season! (The first revived season - with the four direct-to-DVD films each broken into four episodes - seemed labored and watered down. This season, with its standalone episodes, got back to the dense gag level and high intelligence of the series in its original run.)

This episode had each act animated in a different style: 80s Atari videogame, anime, and - of most interest to us - black & white Fleischer with a 1931 copyright on the title card:

Fleischer-crew.jpg

Though the production crew themselves referred to it as Fleischer style, it is actually the generic early 30s style also seen in cartoons from Warner Bros, Ub Iwerks, Van Beuren, etc. - and which had also been the Disney style a couple of years earlier, though they quickly evolved beyond it. (It's old news that Matt Groening and company are VERY well-versed in animation history. Just look at the obscure cartoon clips playing on the big monitor that the Planet Express Ship crashes into at the end of every opening title sequence!)

DesertDan

One Too Many
The original Star Trek, I have the entire series on DVD. Last night's viewing was "Mirror, Mirror", "The Devil In The Dark" and "A Piece Of The Action"

DNO

One Too Many
Nothing wrong with a show that has Bruce "The Chin" Campbell in it!

I'll second that...a few months ago I found a DVD set of "Jack of All Trades". I'd almost forgotten about that series.

What's left of the Blockbuster stores in Canada are closing their doors and selling off their stock. I managed get a great deal on the first season of "The Tudors" so I just finished watching the first 2 episodes.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The original Star Trek, I have the entire series on DVD. Last night's viewing was "Mirror, Mirror", "The Devil In The Dark" and "A Piece Of The Action"

I think we're going to have to buy the entire series, too! We currently on the second season, and of course, we just watched "The Trouble with Tribbles." lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82