Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

DNO

One Too Many
The third series of Ripper Street has finally reached BBC broadcast. Humans, a Channel 4 series based on a Scandanavian original scifi series. Very good; deals well with the obvious question of sentience in a world where synthetic humans have arrived and do lots of menial jobs, including being domestic servants, handled in a way that has strong parallels to the current political climate in the UK. I've also been watching a lot of older Doctor Who, currently being repeated on the Horro Channel in the UK. Cracking stuff, even if it does make me sad for what has happened to the standard of the writing on the rebooted show, under Steven Moffat.

I've been watching Humans as well. A very absorbing show so far.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The season 2 finale of True Detective on HBO.

Nowhere near the brilliance of the first season - kind of a mess, really - but it still had some good moments. Good acting by Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams; the rest of the cast was uneven. And the story was unnecessarily convoluted, to put it kindly.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'd say your analysis is spot-on. The characters are so complex and nuanced. It is great writing, great acting, and highly entertaining. (And I get snuggle-date time with Hubby. Score!)
David Milch is one of the great TV writers of all time. If you enjoy Deadwood writing and characters, I recommend you go back and watch NYPD Blue, which is where all of that began and where you'll see much of the great same in spades. And you'll also see many of the same actors from Deadwood getting their start in NYPD Blue. Milch brought along many of his NYPD Blue crew friends to Deadwood.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Suits. Not a good season.
Mr.Robot. Surprisingly good show. A dragging episode or two, but it is picking up again.
Poldark. Horse-riding time could have been story and character-developing time. So very trite, but not without merit.
Ray Donovan. Not normally my kind of show, but this is a good season.
The Strain. Better season than season 1.
Masters of Sex. what a joke.
Humans. A pretty great British sci-fi drama.
Hell on Wheels. Possibly a better season than the last couple or three (they're a blrur of mediocrity and messiness now). Much prefer long, cohesive arcs over episodic situations. Could be as simple as being back to the railroad rather than farting around with everything else under the sun.

I watch too much TV, but they don't make music like they used to.

Nowhere near the brilliance of the first season - kind of a mess, really - but it still had some good moments. Good acting by Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams; the rest of the cast was uneven. And the story was unnecessarily convoluted, to put it kindly.

You hit the nail on the head.

I really enjoyed season one, but my instinct was to wait a bit on season two to hear if they could recapture the magic with all new actors and I'm glad I did. It is commentary from people I respect like you that is causing me to pass on it for now. I have enough else going on in my life and don't need to see a weak season two. And, really, more convoluted than season one - that is being difficult just for the sake of as season one was hardly linear or facile.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
re: True Detective season 1

And, really, more convoluted than season one - that is being difficult just for the sake of as season one was hardly linear or facile.
season 1 was a really nice show up until the biker gang sequence, and then it completely fell off the rails. what was that, 3 or 4 episodes? It was a shame to see a show get 2/3s so right and then blow it in the final 1/3. The ending was pretty crappy, too, but I expect most endings to fail all the work.

I didn't bother with season 2 because of that fumbled final 1/3 and because I thought the casting was lousy for season 2.

Yep. That is how it went. And yet I looked forward to it each week. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment, but I am hoping for a third season.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
More of The Doctor! Not sure, if I am getting into them, since I still have not bothered to watch the new episodes on BBC!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We finished season 1 of Deadwood. I'd forgotten much of the series, so it is almost like watching it for the first time. The scene with Al and the minister.... heartbreaking. But the scene with Al and Seth about "wearing the tin" made me grin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter