Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
It's a very funny film and a lot of the dialog is notable. Spate's catalog and Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Two is pretty good and I found that after multiple viewings has actually gotten better over time for me.

Let's not forget Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker Jr. over the Ghostbusters theme song!

Really? Why?

Funnest line: When Dan Ackroyd says, "Listen! Do you smell that?"

By the way, Youngest Hood disdained the special effects, which were cutting edge then. He's grown up on CGI, and doesn't appreciate pioneering film making.

Edward

Bartender
At the weekend just passed, I watched a few. Finally saw The Aviator (some great TV on on the off-mainstream channels, as they put on repeats of great films and other stuff rather than try to compete with Comic Relief), which I really enjoyed. Cried at the thought of all those beautiful suits being burned, though. I did identify a lot with Hughes, save for the fact that I'm no engineer. The descent into madness I can well understand - there but for the Grace of God, modern medicine, and Prozac go I. Also watched the original Wrong Turn and its sequel, which if anything bettered the first, not least for the presence of Henry Rollins, a much finer actor than he is typically credited with being. Highlight of the weekend was probably the BBC's made-for-TV one-of feature length dramatisation of Isherwood's Christopher and His Kind. A number of sequences were filmed in Belfast; amusing to see City Hall stand in for buildings in mid 30s Berlin, all draped in swastika flags.

Really? Why?

Funnest line: When Dan Ackroyd says, "Listen! Do you smell that?"

By the way, Youngest Hood disdained the special effects, which were cutting edge then. He's grown up on CGI, and doesn't appreciate pioneering film making.

I saw it when I was ten, in the cinema. That would have been the old Belfast ABC, later the Canon, now long gone. It was desperately exotic at the time, as it had four screens. I enjoyed it as a straight sci-fi. Twenty odd years later I picked it up on DVD and realised just how funny it is. The sequel actually still holds up too, if not quite so sharp as the original.

Stepford Wives (2004)
I think it's a funny movie... stupid, but funny.

I liked it, save for the contemporary trend of remaking all these classic old films with a happy ending, which I hate. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of happy endings as a general rule, but I particularly hate to see this spun as an "improvement" to a classic.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Akira Kurosawa's High and Low... based on an Ed McBain(!) novel.

Not a samurai film, it's set in the present (well, the early 60s), and is about a wealthy executive (Toshiro Mifune, of course) who's trying to wrest control of his company away from its other owners when his son is kidnapped... only it's actually his driver's son, who is kidnapped accidentally.

He goes through the moral dilemma of whether he will bankrupt himself and lose his position to pay the ransom on the boy. This takes up the first half of the film, all shot on a single interior set, but never boring. The second half moves beyond Mifune's house as a police procedural, detailing how the kidnapper is captured from the tiniest clues. In the end, the motive for the kidnapping is revealed.

Not my favorite Kurosawa picture by a long shot, but still utterly fascinating...

Last edited:

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Been on a Bond retrospective lately. Started with Dr No and have watched one per week courtesy of Love Film. Just about to enter the Roger Moore era having finished Diamonds are Forever last night.

Random thoughts so far.

1) The series gets pretty silly very early.
2) On Her Majesty's Secret Service was much better than I expected but Lazenby is rather wooden. Good plot though.
3) From Russia with Love is my favourite so far by a long way. The fight in the railway carriage is amazing.
4) Diamonds are Forever = Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. There was no need to send it up as it had already descended so far into self-parody. It was still fun though. Lots of wine might have helped with that judgement.
5) Bond should not wear a kilt. Ever.
6) They should remake OHMSS with Craig.
7) Seven films in and Bond has still worn a hat in every opening gun-barrel sequence.
8) I'm not entirely sure I'm looking forward to the run of seven Moore films but will stick with them.

A

Last edited:

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Been on a Bond retrospective lately. Started with Dr No and have watched one per week courtesy of Love Film. Just about to enter the Roger Moore era having finished Diamonds are Forever last night.

8) I'm not entirely sure I'm looking forward to the run of seven Moore films but will stick with them.

A

What do you mean….. You don’t like Roger Moore ????? Gasp:eek:- Tell me I misread and misunderstood! Mind you I’m not a bond fan- I might push myself to watch one with RM in… I’m more of a Saint girl myself!;)

AntonAAK

Practically Family
What do you mean….. You don’t like Roger Moore ????? Gasp:eek:- Tell me I misread and misunderstood! Mind you I’m not a bond fan- I might push myself to watch one with RM in… I’m more of a Saint girl myself!;)

I have nothing against him personally, I'm sure he is a fine chap. But as Bond. Not really... Sorry...

rue

At the weekend just passed, I watched a few. Finally saw The Aviator

I liked it, save for the contemporary trend of remaking all these classic old films with a happy ending, which I hate. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of happy endings as a general rule, but I particularly hate to see this spun as an "improvement" to a classic.

I really liked the Aviator. I think it really showed off Leo's acting skills too.

Am I to be shamed for life if I tell you that I haven't seen the original Stepford wives? :eeek:

Dan'l

Practically Family
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

It was the first time I had ever seen the movie and I was impressed and wished that I hadn't waited so long to watch such a classic.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
^^^Hehe, no need to say sorry, I quite understand- he might indeed be rubbish as a bond (couldn’t say though as I fall asleep when they are on- just shows how much they inspire me!:eek:) but you have to hand it to him he had great eyebrow action and a fine head of hair!:eusa_doh: (Moore so in his early days- modelling etc)Any hoo…..

^Rue- I totally agree with you, even though he slightly gives me the creeps- he should never smile! It was/is a staple for me and my sister to watch when growing up- must dig out the tapes as I feel a Pride and Prejudice fest is in order.:D
Tx

Effingham

A-List Customer
Been on a Bond retrospective lately.

2) On Her Majesty's Secret Service was much better than I expected but Lazenby is rather wooden. Good plot though.

It's also the ONLY Bond movie that actually followed the plot of the book. It's also one of my favorites.

My faves are Goldfinger, FRWL, and OHMSS. Moore's Bond was... interesting. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun