Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Ulysse

New in Town
1718184429553.png
my elmc californian in a messy bathroom before having a drink with a buddy
1718184368024.png

Last edited:

unhatted

One of the Regulars
Think I just found my forever Schott, a 125 in great condition (though sadly minus the zip out liner), roughly the same vintage as me and enough room to move while still looking quite trim. If I could find a Cal type X-zip that fit this well I think I could get rid of everything else and never buy another leather jacket.

IMG_9658.jpeg

(For at least a year)

Denton

A-List Customer
Have any straight on fit pics? Been wanting to se show the Trojan fits on others
Newtojackets, I took a picture for you. This jacket has an unusual fit -- close in the waist, close in the body and chest, loose in the shoulders and sleeves. Smallest chest measurement and biggest shoulder measurement of any jacket I have worn. Somehow it works -- it's a total pleasure to wear. The photograph exaggerates the size of the sleeves, which don't look quite as much like trouser legs in the real world, but they are enormous.

front.jpeg

newtojackets

Practically Family
Newtojackets, I took a picture for you. This jacket has an unusual fit -- close in the waist, close in the body and chest, loose in the shoulders and sleeves. Smallest chest measurement and biggest shoulder measurement of any jacket I have worn. Somehow it works -- it's a total pleasure to wear. The photograph exaggerates the size of the sleeves, which don't look quite as much like trouser legs in the real world, but they are enormous.

View attachment 620557
Thanks, the reason I ask is I just got a Trojan so wanted to see how it fits on others!

Atg_Stl

New in Town
Realize this may not be the most appropriate thread, but figured there would be some seasoned leather aficionados in here that may be able to offer some advice. Recently, I purchased a Double helix western pioneer that is a very light brown leather but is getting significantly darker the more I wear it. As I’ve been trying break it in, I’ve been wearing it around the house and a small amount of water got on the sleeve. Very minimal drops of tap water mind you, but it’s somehow stained the jacket! Is this normal? And any suggestions on how to remove them or is this just a way the jacket needs to look to build character?!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Realize this may not be the most appropriate thread, but figured there would be some seasoned leather aficionados in here that may be able to offer some advice. Recently, I purchased a Double helix western pioneer that is a very light brown leather but is getting significantly darker the more I wear it. As I’ve been trying break it in, I’ve been wearing it around the house and a small amount of water got on the sleeve. Very minimal drops of tap water mind you, but it’s somehow stained the jacket! Is this normal? And any suggestions on how to remove them or is this just a way the jacket needs to look to build character?!

Do. You have a picture of the jacket/water stains?

Also, do you know how DH calls the hide used in your jacket?

Most leathers use some kind of wax, oil or other finishing to prevent the leather from being to absorbant to elements such as water, sun, dirt etc. Thus, I am surprised that some drops of water should (permanently?) ‚stain‘ the leather.
That said, by now a lot of maker use (‘unfinished‘) hides that are designed to be everchanging and will get darker with use and show every kind of wear.

A light coloured jacket is bound to show some wear eventuall, so without having actually seen the stains, I am bound to say you should embrace the evolution as part of the process.

Last edited:

Bennarion

One Too Many
I've been caught in the rain many times. After drying, there were no spots on the leather.
Actually, it's not worth worrying about.
Screenshot_2024-06-13-09-46-15-735_com.miui.mediaeditor-edit.jpg

Last edited:

Atg_Stl

New in Town
Do. You have a picture of the jacket/water stains?

Also, do you know how DH calls the hide used in your jacket?

Most leathers use some kind of wax, oil or other finishing to prevent the leather from being to absorbant to elements such as water, sun, dirt etc. Thus, I am surprised that some drops of water should (permanently?) ‚stain‘ the leather.
That said, by now a lot of maker use (‘unfinished‘) hides that are designed to be everchanging and will get darker with use and show every kind of wear.

A light coloured jacket is bound to show some wear eventuall, so without having actually seen the stains, I am bound to say you should embrace the evolution as part of the process.
It’s a veg tan horse hide. Here’s a few pictures…

To be clear, I’m not overly concerned with these particular stains but I’m a little uneasy about the thought of needing to be so vigilant about keeping this thing out of contact with water in-general. It’s inevitable that I’m going to get caught in the rain or something.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2098.jpeg
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
TMC "Code 33 Durable" repro. The "Johnny" jacket...

Thanks to @Mr.Leong and @soundwavvves for the inspiration and the later for helping out with my questions!

This is a size 44, and I suppose I could easily get away with one size up too. Chest, shoulders, sleeves are all fine, and I can zip it up without an issue, but it´s mighty short.
Fit ranges somewhere in between my two other "Black Crosszips", The LL Lightning (which is a bit tighter) and the Schott 613SH (which is a bit looser/longer).

Johnny3.jpg
Johnny2.jpg
Johnny1.jpg

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
It’s a veg tan horse hide. Here’s a few pictures…

To be clear, I’m not overly concerned with these particular stains but I’m a little uneasy about the thought of needing to be so vigilant about keeping this thing out of contact with water in-general. It’s inevitable that I’m going to get caught in the rain or something.

I see... Yes, I have had similar spots on my unfinished stuff.

I don´t think it will ever really affect the integrity of the hide. As to visuals: if it bothers you, you can wipe down the entire jacket with a damp cloth. The whole leather will darken until dry and then develop a more even shade.

Beautiful hide though!

Kevin O'Sullivan

One of the Regulars
This exact problem happens to me on my veg tanned lambskin Schott P213. If it gets water on it, the droplets stain the leather black and they don't go away for... Weeks if not longer.

I hate it. Stays at the back of the closet unless it's 100% sunny and dropped Schott down to a B tier maker for me.

Have never had that issue with any of my Thedi or Aero, aniline veg tanned.

In my experience those spots don't really go away- but they are right on the surface, so you can kind of brush the leather or scratch it in that area and then run over it with your thumb to help blend.

I agree with Tom. If you wipe the jacket down (or simply wear in rain) it will even out a lot. Your jacket reminds me of the Mr Freedom sunshine finish. Will get better with rain and UV exposure.

TMC "Code 33 Durable" repro. The "Johnny" jacket...

Thanks to @Mr.Leong and @soundwavvves for the inspiration and the later for helping out with my questions!

This is a size 44, and I suppose I could easily get away with one size up too. Chest, shoulders, sleeves are all fine, and I can zip it up without an issue, but it´s mighty short.
Fit ranges somewhere in between my two other "Black Crosszips", The LL Lightning (which is a bit tighter) and the Schott 613SH (which is a bit looser/longer).

View attachment 620685 View attachment 620684 View attachment 620683
Looks like a perfect fit aside from the length. Personally, I can't wear jackets above my belt. Looks great open. The only way to remedy the fit closed is with a pair of Steve Erkels jeans. It looks like the back dips a bit?

Atg_Stl

New in Town
This exact problem happens to me on my veg tanned lambskin Schott P213. If it gets water on it, the droplets stain the leather black and they don't go away for... Weeks if not longer.

I hate it. Stays at the back of the closet unless it's 100% sunny and dropped Schott down to a B tier maker for me.

Have never had that issue with any of my Thedi or Aero, aniline veg tanned.

In my experience those spots don't really go away- but they are right on the surface, so you can kind of brush the leather or scratch it in that area and then run over it with your thumb to help blend.

I agree with Tom. If you wipe the jacket down (or simply wear in rain) it will even out a lot. Your jacket reminds me of the Mr Freedom sunshine finish. Will get better with rain and UV exposure.
Thanks guys. I assumed that sun exposure would help lighten the stains so it's been getting regular exposure to the elements. The hide is definitely darkening and turning into a nice, caramel brown that I'm excited about, but the stains seems to be sticking around longer than I would've thought. I may give consideration to wiping the entire jacket down if they don't lighten up, but that feels like a last resort at this point.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I assumed that sun exposure would help lighten the stains so it's been getting regular exposure to the elements. The hide is definitely darkening and turning into a nice, caramel brown that I'm excited about, but the stains seems to be sticking around longer than I would've thought. I may give consideration to wiping the entire jacket down if they don't lighten up, but that feels like a last resort at this point.
Sounds like you're overthinking all this... just let the jacket evolve bro
this tends to happen to lighter-colored veg tan hides anyway

I get that it's a new jacket and the first sign of imperfection is always the hardest... just let it be, trust me, after leaving it alone for a while you won't even think about it. Had the same experience with some boots that I got when it rained unexpectedly.

Atg_Stl

New in Town
Sounds like you're overthinking all this... just let the jacket evolve bro
this tends to happen to lighter-colored veg tan hides anyway

I get that it's a new jacket and the first sign of imperfection is always the hardest... just let it be, trust me, after leaving it alone for a while you won't even think about it. Had the same experience with some boots that I got when it rained unexpectedly.
I feel ya. Certainly not concerned, just not used to seeing this type of reaction on any of my other pieces and curious if this is the norm. Seems like it is and it's part of the evolution process, which is all good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123