Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested - hard work?

Hornet35

New in Town
Evening Chaps,

Are Wested jackets worth the effort? No response so far after three phone calls and three weeks of waiting for leather samples. I get the impression that they're either stacked out with work and not interested or very badly organised - or both.

Only reason I'm considering them is because they're in UK and their price is attractive; Eastman are only willing to consider very limited customising and I had a disappointing experience with Aero Leather last year.

Anybody know of any other good quality vintage style leather jacket retailers in UK? (Not Lewis Leathers or the other motorcycle bods).

Have been talking with G&B about an 'Expedition' in goat, but I'm not keen on the lack of leather facings adjacent zip internally as well as ordering from the States and getting the sizing wrong.

Any, helpful, comments/advice appreciated.

Tootlepip

H35

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Hi welcome aboard.

If you want an Indy Jacket absolutely they are the worth it. You never find a custom fitted jacket elsewhere for the price.

If you want an A-2 repro i think you probably need to look elsewhere. They are good enough for screen use, but I suppose not enough for the historical accuracy guys.

I'm surprised you've had no response after 3 calls, is no one answering? I've found that they get quite rushed right up to posting time trying to get stuff out, but between 5 an 6pm I've never had a problem getting through to Peter himself.

You can get stonking, completly custom jackets out of them, but you will need to be patient, months rather than weeks is the time frame.

But if you are a standard size and it's something they keep in stock you could have something within the week.

They are in Kent, so if you are ever in thet neck of the woods i recommend a visit.

Hornet35

New in Town
Wested - hard work

Thanks for your speedy response Kt. T.

I've spoken to a female person three times and emailed Peter once. No joy.

I'm looking for a 30s vintage-style jacket which isn't an A2, so the Indy kind of fits the bill. I'm not into screen accurate, just want a good hard wearing coat. I'm about 140 miles from Swanley so it looks as though a visit might be the only way of making some progress. Pity the M25 is in the way!

I see from the COW forum that you have something of a close association with Wested? Do you know what leathers they're currently using? And one last question - if I visit can I be sure that they'll make the jacket just the way I want it?

Cheers,

H35

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Mmm, I not sure what's happening with Gemma is these days, she seems to promise people samples and they don't arrive. I know that she just puts them in an envelope (I've had some from her like that) and the envelope gets mangled in our wonderful post system. Take my advice and phone between 5 and 6 you should get hold of Peter. (You can even say I sent you, it'll only cost you 25% more! Joking!)

If you go there the M25 is the best way counterclock and junction 3, they are about 1 minute from junction 3. Come off that slip take the first right and right again down a little windy lane. (Wested Lane).

I *have* been there a few times, and I *am* quite friendly with the owner. I'm trying not to appear to "sell" them too much, much as I like them, I don't want it to seem that they are the ONLY place I would buy a jacket from. Some folk over on COW seem to think I'm on their payroll or something! (I wish!).

They sell an excellent product at a price you will not find at retail in the UK, full stop.

What leathers do they have? Lots! Standard Indys can come in Lamb, distressed lamb, lambtouch cow, cow, distressed cow and horse. They also have a big rack of all sorts of other leathers so you could choose one there. They also have swatches from their supplier so you could get them to order you something specially. How about a nice snakeskin printed leather Mr. Cage?

You don't have to go there to get what you want, but, it's a good experience if you do, and you can be measured for a custom fit. Many hundreds of people from all over the world have had jackets from them over the years without having to visit!

If you go you can have a nice chat with the guy who made the jackets for Harrison Ford for Raiders into the bargain. (Whatever the detractors may say). ;).

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hi Hornet,

I'm in Germany and have ordered twice from Wested, both orders arrived in just a couple of weeks and with minimal email communication. I got an Indy jacket in horsehide -- very nice and I wear it often. The fit in the shoulders and sleeves was perfect, but it was very wide around the torso, so I had to have it taken in a bit at a local leather tailor (not many of those around, but luckily in Berlin, you still find them).

I also have a Dr. Who German-style coat in pre-distressed cowhide, which I'm happy with but I have to say that the predistressed hide is thin and not enough to keep you warm in a Berlin winter -- but light enought to wear with a t-shirt in sprintime.

Both jackets arrived very fast after I ordered them, maybe two to three weeks. As far as I know, Wested offers dark brown horsehide, lamb, cowhide, distressed cowhide and sometimes goat, although I think they're out of goat for a while.

Hornet35

New in Town
Thank you both. Your input is much appreciated.

Garzo - any chance of a pic or two of your horsehide Indy? That's pretty much what I'd decided I'd go for in a Wested, in the absence of goat. In view of the huge difference in cost between them and the competition it looks like I'll just have to persevere with them and will probably take the plunge and visit.

Thanks for the directions Kt. T. Just hate that motorway. I'll take a deep breath........!

Cheers,

H35.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hornet35 said:
Thank you both. Your input is much appreciated.

Garzo - any chance of a pic or two of your horsehide Indy? That's pretty much what I'd decided I'd go for in a Wested, in the absence of goat. In view of the huge difference in cost between them and the competition it looks like I'll just have to persevere with them and will probably take the plunge and visit.

Thanks for the directions Kt. T. Just hate that motorway. I'll take a deep breath........!

Cheers,

H35.

I'll try to put some on later today or tomorrow. If you can get there personally, I would definitely recommend it because you would either get measured by them and they will tailor make it or you can find an off-the-rack that fits you perfectly. Mine was made according to the measurements I sent them and like said, the jacket was pretty wide around the torse and the sleeve holes were pretty wide, but my local tailor took care of that for about 20 euros. Strangely, the Dr. Who coat I ordered was just an off-the-rack size L and it fit perfectly all around. Go figure.

birddog

New in Town
I've got a Wested I bought 5 years ago. It's a cowhide Indy model that weighs twice as much as a normal model & still looks new.

I was on a business trip to London & called Wested for an appointment. Peter offered to pick me up at the local train station, so I arrived & off we went. His shop is an old Elizibethan home, & as I remember, & no one who worked there seemed to be under 80 yrs old.

In the end, I picked a jacket that fitted wonderfully & Peter redelivered me to the train station for my return trip.

During the visit I was impressed how much work they had. At the time, they were reproducing WW2 British Army uniforms for a film contract, which is the core of their work.

I would suggest remaining polite & call for an appointment, when you can reach them. Like most businesses, I'm sure they have their peak & low days, so keep trying.

Birddog

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have had numerous dealings with Wested in the past and have always found them to be friendly and responsive. Their product is first class. I'm not sure what's behind your communication problems with Wested but I'm sure there must be a good reason for it. I have heard rumors that they have been overwhelmed lately with jacket orders and film work.

Hornet35

New in Town
Thanks Guys. No question of me not remaining polite when I've called them - I'm the soul of discretion - just frustrated. I'll stick with it and arrange a visit when I can.

Nice machine on your avatar birddog. The radial engined Argus I think? Yours?

Cheers,

H35.

birddog

New in Town
Thanks for the compliment!

The plane is my 1946 Fairchild 24W or Argus as it's known in the UK. If I ever get it to Germany this year, I hope to bring it to several UK fly-ins. I bought it in December & am having modifications done such as paint detailing, new radios & some instruments replaced.

Birddog

Hornet35

New in Town
Can't see how to get PMs to work on this site, but if you are able to plan a trip here let me know - I have a de Havilland Hornet Moth. There's always plenty of work to do around old aeroplanes!

H35.

Edward

Bartender
Found this thread on a search - any news on the Wested jacket? Did you buy one? I've toyed with the idea of one of their raiders jackets for a long time, though just right now I'm more into the idea of an A2. Got the bug from this site for something reasonably historicaly accurate... if overall it looks like Steve Macqueen's, I'd be perfectly happy.... I'd be prepared to overlook some small details if the overall vibe is right, and the quality is there, at the price they go for. £150 I can manage.... £270-£300, I'm afraid, is beyond me. Has anyone ever tried their "Memphis Belle" model?

http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shops/westedcom/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=26

Picture there is not good, so I can't tell.... Woulden't want to order blind and discover it wadn't any more accurate to the 40s style than the modern patterened civilian jacket I already have.

Technonut

Practically Family
Edward said:
Found this thread on a search - any news on the Wested jacket? Did you buy one? I've toyed with the idea of one of their raiders jackets for a long time, though just right now I'm more into the idea of an A2. Got the bug from this site for something reasonably historicaly accurate... if overall it looks like Steve Macqueen's, I'd be perfectly happy.... I'd be prepared to overlook some small details if the overall vibe is right, and the quality is there, at the price they go for. £150 I can manage.... £270-£300, I'm afraid, is beyond me. Has anyone ever tried their "Memphis Belle" model?

http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shops/westedcom/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=26

Picture there is not good, so I can't tell.... Woulden't want to order blind and discover it wadn't any more accurate to the 40s style than the modern patterened civilian jacket I already have.

If I am not mistaken, you would have to specifically ask for Wested to make you a resaonably accurate A-2.

Edward

Bartender
Technonut said:
If I am not mistaken, you would have to specifically ask for Wested to make you a resaonably accurate A-2.

Ah, right. Pity they don't have a decent photo of the one they offer in the website.... it's much more the right sort of price than anything else I've seen so far. Rip-off Britain, eh? :rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
KT, yeah, that's the one (that and apparently the ones in Memphis Belle) that the website refers to - pity they only have a crappy little photo of it on the site, though! I might take a trip out of town to their store at some point.... I admit since I registered here a week or two ago, I've gotten the bug for a reasonably accurate A2, but ther'es only so much i could afford to spend!

Hornet35

New in Town
Yep I did buy a Wested a few weeks ago. It went through the 'light distressing' cycle recomended by Indy jacket aficionados and now doesn't fit me!

Still, the Aero Leather 'Cossack' in seal buffalo arrived today and is a revelation by comparison. Having said that, and to answer your question, the Wested was fine for the money. I'd suggest a visit if you can get there.

H35

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld