Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a tie with vintage workshirt.

mdmarz

New in Town
Just curious if the forum has any thoughts on wearing a tie with say a repo (not true vintage ; something like Freewheelers Chambray) and maybe a leather jacket. What pants would one wear? Leather jacket style would be maybe a Cossack style?

mullitt

One of the Regulars
I do it all the time, but I like to wear more casual ties like handpainted western or hunting scene ones or distressed older ones to match the workwear aesthetic a little more. A clean, fancy tie, even a vintage one, may look a little too dressy for a chambray shirt.
As for pants, whatever works! I like a good chino or salt and pepper work pants like The Rite Stuff makes.

mdmarz

New in Town
Distressed older tie sounds very cool. Thankfully I don’t have to wear ties to work anymore but the ones I have would look too formal. I saw those daybreaks and a khaki version also; cool stuff. Sadly I am selling my sage Rite Stuff, too small.
Thanks for input.

mullitt

One of the Regulars
I highly recommend Levi's Sunset workshirts. You can find them on eBay all the time for between $60-$100 and the chambray ones are very nice.
Specifically this kind with the different sized pockets. I have three:
sunset.png

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
If you look on ebay, you can find a dark blue (indigo) denim shirt under their Levi's Diamond line, and they look sharp with a tie. If you want to go real time sensitive/vintage, you can go that extra mile with a sock tie. I think that Diamond line was sold in the 1980s, but it could have been longer than that. Nobody gives a hoot about those shirts. You can probably pick one up for $10.

Albe64

One of the Regulars
I usually wear a blue vintage knit tie with my chambray shirts or, in alternative, a madras check tie...always high waist chinos or, if I have to join a group of fahion pros, white denim/chinos with wide legs. Best footwear combo, imho, are blonde suede oxfords or suede boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton