Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walter Dyer size 44 black motorcycle jacket $50 please read

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
Walter Dyer size 44 motorcycle jacket. Thick heavy leather with some character. Overall this jacket is in impressive condition with a nearly new looking zip in liner…except for two things. First there is some sun fading on the back of the jacket. Either the prior owner always rode with the sun to his back or it was hung in a room where the sun could hit it. I haven’t applied anything to it to blacken it back up because I can’t take the way this things smells. It’s impossible to describe. My wife said it smells like an Avon catalog or a perfume your grandmother would wear. It’s not attic, it’s not musty, it’s not fabreeze and it’s not really even offensive…it’s just relentless. I basically hung it outside for a few days and then put it in the garage. It’s too bad because it fits awesome and has a good cut to it. Anyway, I paid four times what I’m asking from someone much less honest than I am. I give up. $50 plus shipping and it’s yours.

Attachments

• IMG_7161.jpeg
    IMG_7161.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7164.jpeg
    IMG_7164.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7165.jpeg
    IMG_7165.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7172.jpeg
    IMG_7172.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7168.jpeg
    IMG_7168.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7171.jpeg
    IMG_7171.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7170.jpeg
    IMG_7170.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 102

vintagewool

Familiar Face
Did you check whether the main problem is with the removable lining that you could set aside or give a hot machine-wash?

There is also a thread somewhere about washing leather.

In addition, there are some usual ways to de-odorize, which basically involve 2 main choices:
1. Wet or dry.
2. Acid or alkaline.

Common de-odorizers:
Vinegar.
Lemon juice.
Baking soda.
Charcoal.
Wood/charcoal ash.
Sawdust.
Sunlight.

For example, my first thought was to give something a thorough wet acid soak and rinse in a lemon-juice solution, then thoroughly Sun-dry it including laying it inside out, and then if necessary pack it with dry alkaline baking soda for a while.

However, I would check for any possible adverse chemical reactions for that particular leather tanning before choosing a course of action.

Last edited:

RedAries

New in Town
I wouldn't mind helping you. I had a similar situation with an older jacket. I did vinegar and vodka and left it in outside for a week. It got rid of the smell but I had to re apply often.

Marvin Berry

New in Town
I think this is an instance where I would actually try machine washing it. You're already taking a giant hit on the price, and kinda seem to be selling it to get it out of your house (without throwing it away). Do a search in the outerwear forum-- what have you got to lose?

newtojackets

Practically Family
I think this is an instance where I would actually try machine washing it. You're already taking a giant hit on the price, and kinda seem to be selling it to get it out of your house (without throwing it away). Do a search in the outerwear forum-- what have you got to lose?
I would try handwashing it. A few of the jackets I bought, I just soaked in a tub for a few hours with fabric softener and the smell was gone.

The other thing I’ve heard works well is an ozone machine if you have one.

AHP91

One Too Many
50 dollars

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g58211702