Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

You're better off without the Electronic Leash.

Abso freakin lutely VC.
I gotta answering machine. If I'm not in..leave your number. I just don't need to let anyone know that: 'now I'm traveling down the bypass...now I'm stopping for gas...now I'm getting an ice coffee at Starbucks...now I'm getting ready to scratch my nose...I may to this or I might do that(what would you recommend?)...OK now I'm here but might go there'....
....and I sure don't need to talk so damn outloud for all to hear and sicken everyone with my boring cellphone conversation of trivial nonsensical blusterous ramblings....:eusa_doh::mad:

DonnaP

Familiar Face
Abso freakin lutely VC.
I gotta answering machine. If I'm not in..leave your number. I just don't need to let anyone know that: 'now I'm traveling down the bypass...now I'm stopping for gas...now I'm getting an ice coffee at Starbucks...now I'm getting ready to scratch my nose...I may to this or I might do that(what would you recommend?)...OK now I'm here but might go there'....
....and I sure don't need to talk so damn outloud for all to hear and sicken everyone with my boring cellphone conversation of trivial nonsensical blusterous ramblings....:eusa_doh::mad:

Exactly. I can't imagine anything so important that you need me RIGHT NOW. had a cellphone for about 6 months maybe 6 years ago, couldn't remember to take it with me, couldn't remember that I had it when I did remember it, couldn't remember how to even use the damn thing. I figure I live in the city, there's not a whole lot that is going to happen to me where I can't get to someone pretty quick. I have two kids, 14 and 9, maybe when they are older I'll want one--that's the biggest reason why people I know gasp when I say I don't have a phone, they want to be attached to their kids. I do admit, I rely on my husband having a phone, in a true teen emergency they'll have someone they can reach, and the 14 year old has a phone, so if we are out somewhere and the car breaks down, she can call for help. If I lived alone, I probably would have caved in and gotten one.

green papaya

One Too Many
the ability to go for a walk in the evening without getting police harrassement / questioned

they always want to know where Im going, why Im walking, etc

the crime is so high these days anybody walking the streets is a suspect

MissMittens

One Too Many
the ability to go for a walk in the evening without getting police harrassement / questioned

That's so true........I've had that a few times while walking at night when I can't sleep, and I live in the equivalent of Mayberry, lol.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab

Buy a dog. I am not joking or jesting. I got the idea from a very wealthy Hollywood producer in the forties who had to buy a little dog so he could take his after dinner constitutional in Beverly Hills without being stopped by the police.

Flicka

One Too Many
Wow. I can't imagine that. Don't people walk where you live?

If the police would do that here, people would be queuing for hours in order to be questioned even if they allocated all of the police resources to that one assignment.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
When I was a kid I used to wonder if Superman ever forgot where he stashed his Clark Kent clothes. I mean when you're saving runaway school buses from going off the cliff into a molten lava flow you tend to forget those things in all the excitement. And besides, if he had my luck, somebody would have probably nicked them while he was off doing his deeds of derring do. :p:D

lol

As I recall, he had a pouch in his cape where he stored his "civvies".

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

HI

What do you / did you usually tell them? I'd have probably mentioned none of your bleeping business. 3AM walks are a little more suspicious, but them my Mom's neighbor and a couple of Friends go running every morning at 5 AM in Small town Illinois. Would "none of your business" have gotten you hauled in?

later

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To be fair to California, when I lived there, I never owned a car -- I had a bike for about two hours, though. I rode it down to Thrifty's to buy a lock, and when I came out it had been stolen. So the rest of the time I was out there, I walked.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Wow. I can't imagine that. Don't people walk where you live?

If the police would do that here, people would be queuing for hours in order to be questioned even if they allocated all of the police resources to that one assignment.

They don't arrest people for walking. They stop them and question them as suspicious characters. If you have some form of ID and some legitimate reason for being there, such as taking a walk in your own neighborhood, they don't bother you further.

It is just that in some areas walking is so unusual it looks suspicious. It can also be that they are looking for a suspect or witnesses of a crime that took place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82