Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vest Question

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Recently bought a nice (Modern) blue pinstriped suit. As usual getting a vest with that suit is not gonna happen.

Question: Can one wear a vest with a suit that does not match the suit material? Such as a black vest with blue pinstripe or solid blue that matches in color?

Was this ever done in tha old days?

Thanks

Unless you have a waistcoat that's a perfect match go for high contrast. Pairing two fabrics that are close but not identical is asking for a sartorial disaster.

In the past i have successfully combined a light brown waistcoat with a blue suit and blue waistcoat with a light brown suit. I would imagine that a grey waistcoat would also work well with a blue p/s suit.

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
An odd vest in dove grey would be classic. I've seen some Brits wear linen as well. I wouldn't try to get too matchy.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Speaking of vests

One of the most elegant things I've ever seen is the vest slip.

woodrow_wilson_large.jpg

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
BigSleep said:
Recently bought a nice (Modern) blue pinstriped suit. As usual getting a vest with that suit is not gonna happen.

Question: Can one wear a vest with a suit that does not match the suit material? Such as a black vest with blue pinstripe or solid blue that matches in color?

Was this ever done in tha old days?

Thanks

A good option is to take the color of the stripe and get a vest the same color. That tends to be easier as the stripes are usually white or black and those color vests can be found readily. Plus the vest then makes the stripe "Pop." And usually a silk vest is a good "contrast" fabric for a vest.

-D

tofu

New in Town
of course a different color vest can be worn. personally i think the contrast looks better than having a matching vest! the only time i prefer a matching vest is when i decide to go coatless and wear the vest alone with the pants.

i have a light gray versace vest with subtle white pinstripes that i wear with a modern black suit all the time. it is a superb match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe