Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Oh boy…
It came in the post!

I’ve been wanting a Vanson Cross Zip with their quilted arms and back, but not super interested in their police jackets. Something like a padded Highwayman.

I’d been thinking about a custom Highwayman with quilting, but delete the epaulettes and the belt loops to keep it from being too busy.

Then I’m checking my trap line on Ebay, like you do, and snap! A Hardcore Highwayman! No epaulettes, no belt, AND whoever ordered it had Vanson quilt out the arms, AND added the ignition pocket on the arm, from the R&R!

Holy SMOKES!! This is a BEAST of a Jacket!

1EE05A89-00DF-41B9-826E-6C2866E1488A.jpeg
585311D8-FCE0-41C8-8F2D-F2F00A2EED70.jpeg
E3E12281-0CB1-4505-BFFC-FDA988208CD4.jpeg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Oh boy…
It came in the post!

I’ve been wanting a Vanson Cross Zip with their quilted arms and back, but not super interested in their police jackets. Something like a padded Highwayman.

I’d been thinking about a custom Highwayman with quilting, but delete the epaulettes and the belt loops to keep it from being too busy.

Then I’m checking my trap line on Ebay, like you do, and snap! A Hardcore Highwayman! No epaulettes, no belt, AND whoever ordered it had Vanson quilt out the arms, AND added the ignition pocket on the arm, from the R&R!

View attachment 637894 View attachment 637895 View attachment 637896

What a find! Sweet jacket!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
What a find! Sweet jacket!
Thank you!!

I’m trying that thing where you splash out a liiitle bit more on jackets you really dig, instead of “looking for deals”. This is my third purchase with that ethos, and it’s working for me.

I love my Vanson’s, and use them for riding, so most of mine are the sport rider category. The armor and vents are so practical. I’ve also got three of their track suits, and while they aren’t dripping with tech like a Dainese they certainly protect just as well, and they are rebuildable.

But my Highwayman is SO comfortable, so I’ve been tempted to check out the other cross zips.
This one needs breaking in but I know it’ll get there, probably after a few rainy rides. I think it weighs north of 7lbs.

It seems that with a custom order they’re a little pickier with the panel selection. My highwayman has some belly leather used in the inside of the lapels and the sleeve gussets, but this feels like premium hide throughout. None of my Vanson sleeves are as stiff to zip up.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
To the many, many owners of the "Maverick":

How is sizing in this one? Is it more in the "size up" category of the "E"/Highwayman-range", or one from the "one down" league, like say the model B?

Asking for a friend...

Oh boy…
It came in the post!

View attachment 637894 View attachment 637895 View attachment 637896

My man @Carlos840 commented on my HC Highwayman many years ago— ‘The back looks like a corset”. It stuck with me.

This is still a cool jacket.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

How is sizing in this one? Is it more in the "size up" category of the "E"/Highwayman-range", or one from the "one down" league, like say the model B?

Asking for a friend...
My Maverick is a 40 and a tad too big for me. I wear 38 in everything, and am pretty sure a Maverick in 38 would be spot on. So I'd say they run true to size in my very small sample size of one.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab

Asking for a friend...

Mine is a size 40 and I like how it fits me. Room to layer so if I wanted a really tight fit I could maybe size down. I don’t want a really tight fit though.

I’m 182 cm and weigh 82 kg and have a 40.5 inch chest. All my jackets are size 40.

My advice is to order your regular size.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Mine is a size 40 and I like how it fits me. Room to layer so if I wanted a really tight fit I could maybe size down. I don’t want a really tight fit though.

I’m 182 cm and weigh 82 kg and have a 40.5 inch chest. All my jackets are size 40.

I am sure you did before, but would you mind posting some more fit pictures? I am eyeing that grey version as well as the light brown one but unsure whether 38 or 40 and whether I should order with shorter sleeves.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Thanks much! Makes perfect sense!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Thank you! I too like how it fits you. A perfect, everyday, very versatile fit. This confirms what @Will Zach says, and I shouldn’t size up on this.

I never thought a trucker jacket would appeal to me, but the indigo Y2 Type 1 is my grab and go in these „on the brink of too warm“ late summer days.
I think the Maverick wins in terms of looks, but I am also eyeing the Lewis Leather „Western“. With the new veg-tan cow options I am really tempted. Unfortunately, I could almost get two Mavericks for one LL.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! I too like how it fits you. A perfect, everyday, very versatile fit. This confirms what @Will Zach says, and I shouldn’t size up on this.

I never thought a trucker jacket would appeal to me, but the indigo Y2 Type 1 is my grab and go in these „on the brink of too warm“ late summer days.
I think the Maverick wins in terms of looks, but I am also eyeing the Lewis Leather „Western“. With the new veg-tan cow options I am really tempted. Unfortunately, I could almost get two Mavericks for one LL.

The LL Western looks real nice as well. But there is the quite large price difference to take into account. I’m very happy with my Maverick and have been wearing it almost exclusively for the last 3 months when the weather has allowed. Only thing that could improve it imo would be a collar with a bit more spice.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
My man @Carlos840 commented on my HC Highwayman many years ago— ‘The back looks like a corset”. It stuck with me.

This is still a cool jacket.

Left to right,
The new Hardcore Highwayman, a Vanson Gillet, an “American Made Co.”, a Vanson Technical Hardcore, and a Vanson Highwayman…

I know they’re not in style right now, but the lacing, for me, is the most practical way to adjust sizing for layers. I like that it changes the entire torso, not just the waist.

If you wanted you could put in toggles, beads, or tie bungees across, there are a few ways to change the look away from crisscrossed lacing, but I never bothered to.

Except for that gillet, I bought it a size up so I could mess around with wearing it over the jackets, but turns out they’re already sized to accommodate that. A16E9F0D-F754-40B7-92D3-9FD004EFDCDF.jpeg

TartuWolf

One Too Many
I absolutely love the lacing on my Model E. I'm a total convert after experiencing the adjustability it provides. Solves the issue of my body being a 36 top and a 34 bottom. Most 36 are too roomy in the bottom for me and most 34 jackets are too tight in the top for me. Boom, 36 Model E with lacing to tighter the bottom. Godsend.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I get they are functional, especially the taller ones on the HC. I still have a couple jackets with laces. Corsets serve a purpose too. Haha.
Looking at my stack inspired me to order new leather laces from Vanson to replace the paracord I've been using on a couple of them. My corsets needed refreshing! :D

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I absolutely love the lacing on my Model E. I'm a total convert after experiencing the adjustability it provides. Solves the issue of my body being a 36 top and a 34 bottom. Most 36 are too roomy in the bottom for me and most 34 jackets are too tight in the top for me. Boom, 36 Model E with lacing to tighter the bottom. Godsend.
That Vanson E really stands alone for functional patterning. The lacing is a little higher on the torso to accommodate the belt, and it has higher armpits with football easements. Of all the Vanson jackets I'm most impressed with that one. It's the gold standard of how a well designed and closer fitting jacket provides the best possible freedom of movement.

Funny enough it’s the polar opposite to the Swedish Jacket. I love this design too, again for the movement you have while wearing it…
But it’s achieved by making a leather potato sack with cinched off torso, neck, and wrist openings.

…and more laces…

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1