Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Ike jacket at Orvis

sbhva

Familiar Face
I followed a link and found this today. It appears that Orvis is now selling the Vanson Ike jacket in horsehide. The price seems reasonable to me, or at least much more so than is usual for Orvis.

Here is the link. (Moderators, if posting this link is not allowed please delete it and accept my apologies. I'm still a newbie here)

http://www.orvis.com/store/product....5&group_id=17278&cat_id=17281&subcat_id=17285

jon z

One of the Regulars
I'm sure that's a very nice jacket. It's a pity Orvis, who sales will probably be less than they potentially could be because of this, couldn't have taken more care of with the photography. Those images make it look positively PVC.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Orvis P.O.S.

DON'T BUY IT!! I have had the dubious pleasure of going to Orvis'
Flagship Store, in Vermont- and to the gigantic tent sale they have every
October-and have picked up virtually every piece of menswear I could, simply to check the quality vs. the puffed-up claims of immortality should you wear one of their $800. jackets. Everything I touched was too light (supposed to be heavy-duty), too cheesy looking, badly cut...
They had a jacket called the Halsey jacket- looked great in the ads. Made a special trip up on my m'cycle (before I went kaboom), saw a line-up of these jackets, and almost turned around & left right then. Talked to a Mgr. of a mid-western store doing some training in the corp. H.Q. there, and he told me where they were made, and let out the % of markup over cost; wow.
The Halsey Jacket was $795. if I remember correctly, and I wouldn't buy it
for any money- all my jackets are better (looking, fitting, made, quality...)
don't waste your time with another J Peterman lookalike- everything looks great in the catalog-but remember- it's supposed to!!
P.S. I did buy a watch on sale that trip- lasted less than one week before it just stopped dead, and they wouldn't take a return.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

ideaguy

Fiver64

Practically Family
the middleman

I have no experience with Orvis, but I have always felt they were priced out of my league, for what you appear to be getting. Vanson is great, but I'm betting this jacket will show up cheaper from other sources.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Well I lay no claim about direct knowledge with Orvis. With that said I trust the Vanson brand.
Looks like a nice jacket. I'd just expect regular sizing instead of the S,M,L alpha sizes at that price.
ideaguy said:
DON'T BUY IT!! I have had the dubious pleasure of going to Orvis'
Flagship Store, in Vermont- and to the gigantic tent sale they have every
October-and have picked up virtually every piece of menswear I could, simply to check the quality vs. the puffed-up claims of immortality should you wear one of their $800. jackets. Everything I touched was too light (supposed to be heavy-duty), too cheesy looking, badly cut...
They had a jacket called the Halsey jacket- looked great in the ads. Made a special trip up on my m'cycle (before I went kaboom), saw a line-up of these jackets, and almost turned around & left right then. Talked to a Mgr. of a mid-western store doing some training in the corp. H.Q. there, and he told me where they were made, and let out the % of markup over cost; wow.
The Halsey Jacket was $795. if I remember correctly, and I wouldn't buy it
for any money- all my jackets are better (looking, fitting, made, quality...)
don't waste your time with another J Peterman lookalike- everything looks great in the catalog-but remember- it's supposed to!!
P.S. I did buy a watch on sale that trip- lasted less than one week before it just stopped dead, and they wouldn't take a return.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

ideaguy

narwhale

New in Town
That jacket looks really cool. Hopefully they'll get them in at my local Orvis so I can go check it out sometime. It will be interesting to hear other FL members' reactions to an in-person sighting as well. Vanson has it listed under "obsolete styles" on their website.

Edit: Actually, maybe they still have it in black? I'm still saving up for an Aero LHB :)

bobjones

A-List Customer
I have significant experience with Orvis clothes, particularly their leather jackets, many of which are made in China. I was in a local Orvis today in fact, buying a scarf, and they are greatly helped by having a huge Barbour clothing collection.

The quality of their basic items like button down shirts, polos, t-shirts, etc., has been mostly good, but their leather jackets have not held up well.

I had their "Open Road" suede jacket a few years back, and it literally fell apart after a few months of light wear. I've had to return other leather jackets due to QC issues as well. The prices charged for some of their leather jackets IMO is well above what should be charged, particularly with world-class makers like Aero selling far superior product much more reasonably.

IMO, many of Orvis' leather jackets are barely above mall-jacket quality, but this Vanson might be a sign they are looking to upgrade their line.

apba1166

A-List Customer
If it's Vanson how bad can it be; I have Barbour pants from them, they're fine. A couple shirts are ok, Stuff is only close-to-worth-it at the lowest sale price of the season; I agree about the run-of-mill store brand leathers there. Crummy gloves; one suede jacket from there, steep sale, bled w/normal wear and was ragged pretty quick.

kyboots

Practically Family
Vanson jacket

For my two cents or for what's it worth to anyone; I like the Jacket and it looks sharp. I agree it looks like vinyl in the add, but for horsehide not a bad price. It most likley will be cheaper elsewhere, and they should have actual sizes. This S,M,L crap is just that. Orvis is not a major player for me, but I did purchase a hot Vanson horsehide jacket years ago from them for near nothing on mark down and it was outstanding.Watch the sales! John

Lando

Practically Family
Vanson Not Doing Horsehide, so they tell me

Javelina, Vanson isn't doing horsehide right now to my knowledge. I spoke to several employees there recently and they explained that Vanson has lost its supplier of horsehide. Orvis actually supplied the horsehide for this jacket, as Vanson tells me, and they just constructed it. You can call Vanson and they'll tell you all about the Orvis Vanson Ike Jacket.

Orvis is a mixed bag, but I have been buying jackets from Vanson my whole life and I have never been let down by their quality. Also, any jacket with their name can always be fixed by Vanson. I found a beaten up Vanson in a second hand store in NY, bought it for $40 sent it to vanson and they made the thing look good as new. So, hopefully this Ike jacket will be more Vanson than Orvis.

I'd love to know if any one has one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007