Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Wings Horsehide A2

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Hello all.

I thought I was going to order a US Wings Indy jacket, but they ran out of my size in XL long, so now I'm looking at the A2 Horsehide. I'd like to hear any feedback on....

• Quality
  • Fit
  • Finish
  • Sizing issues
  • Hide grain
  • Break-in
  • Bang-for-the-buck value
  • Anything else??
I know a lot of you in this forum are fanatics about authenticity, but I wouldn't know the difference. I think I AM a pretty good judge of quality, however, and even though the long sizes are 20% off, I don't want to get it because the price is decent if it's not a jacket I can wear for a long, long time.

How about it? Anybody own one of these?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
If it's a horsehide it will last pretty much forever,...break-in will take some time, 6 months to a year or so, but it should develop all kinds of grain. I don't own a U.S. Wings horse, so I don't know about overall quality and fit there. But I do know they are a reputable firm and I own a goatskin jacket from them that I like.
My horse is a U.S. Authentic, which you might also consider taking a look at. A really nice jacket with a lot of authentic details at a good price.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The biggest problem you will have if you get a US Wings is that you will compare it to that Aero Highwayman you just got and you will see that there really isn't any comparison. Honestly if you got an Aero Highwayman, don't scrimp on an A-2, go with one of the top vendors, ie. Real McCoys, Eastman, or another Aero. US Wings is just not in the same league IMHO.

fedoralover

sandysot

New in Town
I concur. U.S. Wings is a second level A-2 maker not in the same league with Aero, Eastman,Buzz Rickson Real McCoy, The Few, or the other first rate historically correct manufacturers. My first purchase was a U.S. Authentic which I quickly found to be o.k., but with fewer correct historical details and medium grade quality.Get a first rate historically correct reproduction.You'll never regret it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The US Wings and Cockpit horsehide A-2s are essentially just modern A-2 jackets made of horsehide instead of goatskin: they have crappy synthetic linings and knits, garish brass zippers, poorly shaped pocket flaps, and blousy modern fits.

For only slightly more money, you'll get a far superior horsehide A-2 from either US Authentic or FlightSuits/Gibson&Barnes. These feature proper wool knits and cotton linings, better cuts and hardware, etc. There are some differences in sizing and construction details between the makers, but either one is a superior jacket to the USW or Cockpit ones - both in terms of materials/construction and approximate accuracy to WWII jackets - and they run in the $400s.

If you can comfortably spend $600+ for an A-2, look at Aero, Eastman, McCoys, Lost Worlds, etc. All of these premium makers produce great repros, but it will cost ya!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
There are no bargains to be had in a horse A-2, unfortunately.

My Cockpit jacket (a special run supposedly made for a museum shop) is made of a very attractive, smooth horsehide that drapes nicely. Correct cotton and wool materials are used. The epaulets sit atop my shoulders as per spec, not in front. Even the zipper pull is a typical period shape (tho marked YKK).

The giveaway, tho, is the cut and fit. They are just too generous. The chest measures 7" over the tag size. The sleeveheads are 2" past my shoulders. The sleeves positively billow. The pockets are a skosh too big and set too close to the closure, as if meant for handwarmers (altho there are none).

432542452_76700d89d4_o.jpg

432542466_358e35008f_o.jpg

Above all else, a classic A-2 must give the impression of a garment made for a fit military man and not meant for heavy layering. That look, unfortunately, is going to cost, because the market at large wants a jacket with the feel and function of modern outerwear.

US Wings

Several years ago,I made a trip to Cleveland,Ohio and stopped in at US Wings...mainly to check out their Indy jackets. The store was packed with jackets. While there,I tried on their G-1 repros...which were the biggest disappointment. Oversized fit,with some strange mouton collars..although the G-1 goat did seem decent. I also tried on their A2s. First,I noticed the whole lineup on the rack. All the HH jackets looked smooth with a heavy muddy finish hiding any resemblence of grain. Rather than nice squared up shoulders and proportionate fit ,unfortunately,they seemed quite blousey and with little taper in the sleeves. Certainly a modern type fit compared to WW2 A-2s. I was so unimpressed that I didn't even take time to notice whether the little details might have some resemblence to authentic features. I struck up a conversation with the owner,Sgt Hack. Behind the gruff exterior was a military man satisfied with his repro military gear..but not incline to discuss any inaccuracies. I gladly left empty handed.
After viewing all the major repro players..along with more accurate details and fit,in my opinion,one of the biggest differences between most makers and the top three is the finish and tanning techniques used on their hides. Aero,ElC,and RMNZ offer a quite different look to their HH. To keep it simple,a process and finish that shows the charactoristics of horsehide easily revealing grain rather than covering it up and hiding it with heavier finish. Worth the extra $$?? Well..when I opened the box that revealed my first "Real Deal"..I was absolutely "amazed".
HD

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Cost wise and for quality of product I really like the FlightSuits or Gibson and Barnes. Great customer service. This was my first horsehide A2. Of course it lead to ELC, Aero, RMNZ and Buzz Rickson repros. So be careful about this it can become an obsession.

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide jacket

i got a a2 horsehide from u.s.mfg last sept. the color is dark seal brown. i had it for 4 months now breaking in very well......for the money a nice jacket not to heavy i am a size 36r........looks like a world war 2 classic jacket.....

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
If money is not an option go with Eastmann, Flightsuits or Aero.

If money is an option, save them untill you have enough to buy Eastmann, Flightsuits or Aero.

You wont regret it.;)

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
So far i have had a cooper which is the same thing as the us wings, a flight suits, US authentic, Aero and Eastman A-2. That is also the order of liking them. Save your money and get the best one you can realisticaly afford. I got both my top end repros on ebay for half the new price and they are great. the fit is better and the hides are more likely to patina properly. If you want an A-2, get a top end repro. It will look right and last forever and keep at least half of it's value if you ever want to get rid of it.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the honest feedback. I think I'll save up and go for a really nice one. I must say that I got really spoiled by my Highwayman.

I guess it once again comes down to what I tell my customers....

"The slight sting of signing a check for a quality product goes away quickly, while the dull ache of regret that comes from trying to go cheap lingers on forever."

If anybody runs across a nice gently used 46 Long horsehide A2 (or almost any other style, for that matter), I'd love to take a look at it.

vernknight

New in Town
Not to mention that US wings has one of the crappiest zippers I have ever seen on a jacket, not to mention Leather jackets. The part that you put in the slider to start zipping is made out of plastic, which wears out and means at odd times your jacket will come unzipped. No, get a US authentic or a G and B at the least, youll get a nice jacket and you wont have a US wings, which will cost you more, becuase you will want to get a new jacket to replace it. I also dont like the leather on a US wings, its too gray. Other top end Repros like my aero have a reddish tan undercoat that really does make a difference, its just a nicer jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe