Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unsung heroes? Sears Leather Shop, Montgomery Ward Quality Outerwear and other moto jackets that might have aged well despite bad reputations.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I spent the weekend researching 1970s and 80s Sears and Montgomery Ward motorcycle jackets. There really wasn’t much to research - the consensus on TFL seems to be that they are hardly worth the 100 USD price tags they generally go for on eBay.

And there are a LOT of ugly and poor-quality jackets from these makers on eBay. But the motor jackets from these two brands that I saw didn’t look to be bad quality to me - they looked very comparable to Schott Perfectos from the same era.

I’m a total newbie to leather though, and I’m just not confident yet that I have a discerning eye or i’m even aware of what I’m looking at.

One TFL thread I didn’t see while researching was one dedicated to some old jackets that members might have that have aged particularly well. I am mostly interested in brands that slip past the eyes of the discerning public, though - because we see enough of the high-end stuff already. Brands like Sears The Leather Shop or Montgomery Ward Brent (or post-Brent) or anything similar (I guess these could be considered the original mall jackets, no?).

I don’t know if anyone has any such jackets they’d like to share, but I’d love to see them - jackets that have proven over time to be winners despite being from brands otherwise known as losers.

I’ll start by showing the jacket I purchased today on eBay - it’s from Sears The Leather Shop. There were two on eBay with similar characteristics but one was $80 and the other $180. I bought the cheaper one and the photos I am attaching here are the ones from the eBay listing. Like I say, most of the rest of the moto leather I saw from these makers reminded me of Perfectos.

The big picture photos aren’t clear enough to tell if this has aged well or is complete crap. What really captivated me were the close ups: there’s one of a sleeve and another of the back and one of the kidney panel. The leather in those photos looks “textured” by age or maybe “marbled” in such a unique way that I suspected it might be more fun to own than any of the Perfecto-esque choices. Maybe it will be a dud but at least I will learn.

However, being a complete FNG, I do wonder if I’m attracted to the wrong thing here. Are these “textured”, “pebbled” and “marbled” effects that I take as signs of good character actually signs of bad character? Or, are there other signs of bad character on display here that should tell me straight away that this jacket isn’t worth owning? Is the shininess a bad thing? Aesthetically I like it on this jacket, but does such a treatment weaken the leather in the long run?

The pattern looks like it’s fairly boxy but I don’t know if that will be something I will like or hate. But I can totally see rejecting it for that or for the missing belt. I bought it based solely on the belief that I will either 1) be very happy with the leather or 2) learn something significant enough about leather to make the cost worth it. If all I do is purchase Aeros or Japanese Horsehide or even Schotts, then that’s all I’ll know. I find life more interesting when I venture off the beaten trail.

Anyway, thanks for reading my novel. I welcome all comments.

Peace.

PS if you have a jacket from a “disreputable” maker but it has aged surprisingly well, I hope you’ll post a photo or two. I really believe I would learn a lot from seeing what members judge to be “well aged”.

IMG_2488.jpeg

IMG_2489.jpeg

IMG_2490.jpeg
IMG_2491.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Interesting post; I found an old Sears Leather Shop leather bomber jacket on eBay in mint/unworn condition for $75 and it’s identical to a Schott 674. Excellent workmanship and superb steerhide leather. It was a size 48 tall and fits me perfectly. A quick check on eBay today showed many vintage Sears leather jackets, bombers as well as motorcycle style.
Some Sears leather jackets seem to be the proverbial “diamond in the rough”.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Interesting post; I found an old Sears Leather Shop leather bomber jacket on eBay in mint/unworn condition for $75 and it’s identical to a Schott 674. Excellent workmanship and superb steerhide leather. It was a size 48 tall and fits me perfectly. A quick check on eBay today showed many vintage Sears leather jackets, bombers as well as motorcycle style.
I agree judging strictly from what I see so far on eBay. And it is maybe even more true for Montgomery Ward pieces from the 70s/80s. But like I say, I'm new to this, so it's nice to hear another voice of agreement.

I'm thinking of buying this MW Brent for 45 USD - it's got some cracking on one shoulder but this looks way more fun than the price tag indicates.

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Btw, do you have a photo of that Sears bomber?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88