Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK anti-vintage rules (well, kinda)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
(from the Daily Mail, nothing NSFW on the page at the time)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=556970&in_page_id=1770

Legal firm bans fishnet stockings because they distract male colleagues

Last updated at 15:38pm on 4th April 2008

A row has broken out across London's law firms after one practice banned women employees from wearing fishnet stockings at work because they are too much of a distraction for men.

Bosses at the company said the stockings gave an “unprofessional image” and has forbidden its lawyers from wearing them.

But the decision has riled some lawyers, who call it “reactionary” and “outdated”.

Writing on law website legalweek.com, workers poured scorn on the move after a member of staff wrote on the site's forum alerting people to the news.

City Woman, wrote: “If I find a nicely polished pair of Church's [shoes] a 'distraction', does that mean I can get them banned too?”

Another post, by a City firm associate, read: “Thigh-high boots are not going to be appropriate but why should female lawyers be consigned to wearing a uniform of boring suits?”

But some workers defended the move. An investment banker said: “Fishnet stockings? Are you out of your mind? Which law firm do you work for? Soho Working Girls LLP? If you want to be recognised for your legal skills rather than your ability to lie on your back, stop being so stubborn.”

Feraud

Bartender
For sake of discussion..

Perhaps they are right to say fishnets are a distraction for work. Of course you can argue many things are a distraction but straightforward talk is sometimes necessary. Fishnets are too sexy for work along with mini-skirts, low cut tops, low slung slacks with the thong out the top, etc.

Whether people want to admit it or not(generally not) there is a difference between work wear and evening wear. My Weezer t-shirt is not for work, a funeral, or a formal dinner. There is a time and place for everything.

I like this quote -
But some workers defended the move. An investment banker said: “Fishnet stockings? Are you out of your mind? Which law firm do you work for? Soho Working Girls LLP? If you want to be recognised for your legal skills rather than your ability to lie on your back, stop being so stubborn.”

Miss 1929

I think fishnets are perfectly suitable

for the stage, party wear, etc. They are not suitable for a professional environment where you don't want to flaunt your sexuality.

I am afraid I am with the stuffy barristers on this one!

Now, nice nude seamed stockings would probably be fine, a much subtler look.

Fishnets do carry the stigma of prostitution in most people's minds...

Besides, 8 hours in fishnets, sitting down most of the time? Ow! Terminal waffle butt!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Good grief. Next stop: burlap sacks.

I appreciate a well-turned, and well-hosed, set of pins as much as the next fellow, but I can generally focus on whatever matter is at hand while doing so. Are these poor lawyers so uninvolved in their work that they cannot do likewise?

ShortClara

One Too Many
Hmmm. Aren't women in Afghanistan covered head to toe in sacks so as to not tempt the men? If I were a female at that firm, I'd sue. To list the reason as "to not distract the men" is misogyny, pure and simple.

Feraud

Bartender
No one is advocating covering women from head to toe (which I disagree with) and the term misogyny is a harsh description of this situation.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Feraud said:
No one is advocating covering women from head to toe (which I disagree with) and the term misogyny is a harsh description of this situation.

I think it's a slippery slope. The mild misogyny can be the worst, most insidious kind. I'm pretty sure I'll be come down hard on for posting the first, so I'm going to back out now. :D cheers~

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's unfortunate they had to phrase the policy that way, because it shouldn't have to come down to whether or not "the men are distracted." More to the point, it ought to be a matter of what's appropriate for that particular workplace. If ever there was a workplace where the soberest, most conservative attire should be required for everyone, it's a law office. Serious business calls for serious clothes -- if I was ever in need of legal services, I'd want to be represented by someone who looked like they were ready for the courtroom, not the dance floor. And yes, that means "boring suits" for all.

zaika

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
It's unfortunate they had to phrase the policy that way, because it shouldn't have to come down to whether or not "the men are distracted." More to the point, it ought to be a matter of what's appropriate for that particular workplace. If ever there was a workplace where the soberest, most conservative attire should be required for everyone, it's a law office. Serious business calls for serious clothes -- if I was ever in need of legal services, I'd want to be represented by someone who looked like they were ready for the courtroom, not the dance floor.

i whole-heartedly agree! i see what short clara what getting at, too. but lizzie, you hit it on the head for me.

ShortClara

One Too Many
zaika said:
i whole-heartedly agree! i see what short clara what getting at, too. but lizzie, you hit it on the head for me.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with this at all! They are idiots for giving the reason they gave - if they had called the reason "inappropriate office garb" then I would have no problem with it whatsoever. They are free to dictate what they will have in the office, of men or women. The reason they gave is the ridiculous and ugly part, to me.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
ShortClara said:
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with this at all! They are idiots for giving the reason they gave - if they had called the reason "inappropriate office garb" then I would have no problem with it whatsoever. They are free to dictate what they will have in the office, of men or women. The reason they gave is the ridiculous and ugly part, to me.

Yep. From another perspective, it can also be interpreted as suggesting that the men in the office are unprofessional enough to be more concerned with a pair of legs than their clients' affairs. You'd think that a law firm could manage a more effective use of language, really...

Feraud

Bartender
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Yep. From another perspective, it can also be interpreted as suggesting that the men in the office are unprofessional enough to be more concerned with a pair of legs than their clients' affairs. [/QUOTE]

No self respecting Cad would disagree! :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

I'm not sure what kind of law office this is, but I'd be interested to find out. Is it a huge firm with hundreds of attorneys, with junior level associates who wear business casual every day except when interacting with clients? Or is it a smaller firm in which any attorney might have client contact at any time?

Not all fishnets are created equal; some are muted brown tones with a double net so as to look more like tights or patterned stockings. Are these banned? Seamed stockings are considered sexy these days too, so I highly doubt they would be considered work appropriate at that office. Further, can she wear fishnets under trousers? Will even that small amount of stocking sticking out of a shoe also distract the men? My goodness, what a bunch of male attorneys they must have over there.

If a woman wishes to wear fishnets, shouldn't she bear the burden of not being taken seriously? Were fishnets such a rampant problem that the firm needed to adopt a policy rather than the few offenders being spoken to privately?

ShortClara

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Nope.

B
T

So, women's dress in Islam has nothing to do with shielding them from the eyes of men not their relatives? Please, I'd like to understand. I'm not being sarcastic; I had heard / read that this is a partial reason for burkas, hajibs, etc.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
This is ridiculous, I've seen lawyers wearing far less appropriate and even scruffy outfits - as long as a lady looks professional, smart and altogether well turned out then she should be able to dress as she pleases. I don't even think that fishnets carry the same associations any more.

If fishnets are banned in the workplace, then I would like to propose a ban on hideous comedy ties that seem to be so popular at the moment. Now they are a distraction.

xx

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
miserabelle said:
This is ridiculous, I've seen lawyers wearing far less appropriate and even scruffy outfits - as long as a lady looks professional, smart and altogether well turned out then she should be able to dress as she pleases. I don't even think that fishnets carry the same associations any more.

If fishnets are banned in the workplace, then I would like to propose a ban on hideous comedy ties that seem to be so popular at the moment. Now they are a distraction.

xx

I completely agree with this. Recently my dad had a meeting with a "high-flying" lawyer, who had been hired by my dad's work to go over legal documents for them. On the first meeting he turned up wearing a short-sleeved shirt, tie, scruffy jeans and dirty trainers. Great first impression, huh?! Yet a woman isn't allowed to wear fishnets because they distract men?! It's her choice to choose one style of stockings over another, just like it was his choice to represent his law firm dressed like a slob. Maybe what is needed is a dress code for everyone to look professional?

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Lola Valentine said:
I completely agree with this. Recently my dad had a meeting with a "high-flying" lawyer, who had been hired by my dad's work to go over legal documents for them. On the first meeting he turned up wearing a short-sleeved shirt, tie, scruffy jeans and dirty trainers. Great first impression, huh?! Yet a woman isn't allowed to wear fishnets because they distract men?! It's her choice to choose one style of stockings over another, just like it was his choice to represent his law firm dressed like a slob. Maybe what is needed is a dress code for everyone to look professional?
It doesn't give you much faith in your lawyer, does it? xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe