Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trailer Parks?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I would think that in 1946 and '47, young couples where the male was newly separated were thankful to find any kind of living space. Housing was at a real premium, as were new (or even good used) cars.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I think the whole idea of trailer living was the ability to pick up and move whenever, wherever. I'm not sure if that ever was a "socially acceptable" concept, and especially not in the 40s & 50s. However, in the immediate postwar years, Fletch is right, housing was at a premium and a trailer was better than living in your car (if you could get one of those, either)! But I think it was always considered more of a temporary necessity; as soon as you could you wanted to move up. I'm sure the same could be said of 90% of those living in trailer parks today, as well.

A funny take on trailer living in the 50s (travel trailers, that is) is the Lucy/Desi movie, "The Long, Long Trailer".

Personally, I would love to have a vintage 30s-50s trailer to use as a guest house. I know a lot of people that use them as hunting & fishing camps, and they still have a lot of original features, like wood paneling and built-ins.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Sweet Leilani said:
I think the whole idea of trailer living was the ability to pick up and move whenever, wherever. I'm not sure if that ever was a "socially acceptable" concept, and especially not in the 40s & 50s. However, in the immediate postwar years, Fletch is right, housing was at a premium and a trailer was better than living in your car (if you could get one of those, either)! But I think it was always considered more of a temporary necessity; as soon as you could you wanted to move up. I'm sure the same could be said of 90% of those living in trailer parks today, as well.

A funny take on trailer living in the 50s (travel trailers, that is) is the Lucy/Desi movie, "The Long, Long Trailer".

Personally, I would love to have a vintage 30s-50s trailer to use as a guest house. I know a lot of people that use them as hunting & fishing camps, and they still have a lot of original features, like wood paneling and built-ins.

Interesting...

I agree, I wouldn't mind having a 1950's trailer. I'd use mine as an office. :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They were socially accepted. My dad lived in a trailer which he loved in Atlanta. Yes, within the city limits, downtown if I remember correctly. Was it in his friend's parents' yard? I'll have to ask my mom. My dad's dream was to live in a little trailer again. But then where would he have put his 5000 books?
My mom's cousin who was a junior bridesmaid at her wedding runs a top-notch chemistry (or should it be chemical?) business from a trailer in Louisiana.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Many of my relatives live in trailers (or mobile homes). They keep them neat as a pin. A trailer is all they can afford, I suppose.

My parents lived in a trailer when my father worked construction as a boomer (he worked at various big construction jobs).

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
There was a popular book on the subject, that was turned into a movie.

http://www.trailerite.com/clintontwiss.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long,_Long_Trailer

6301972279.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Absinthe_1900 said:
It's a scream, and the recent DVD is a pretty good transfer.

"Trailer Brakes!" Trailer Brakes!"

The original Clinton Twiss book, is quite expensive on the collectors market if you can find a copy.

You can download a PDF of the original book at Archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/longlongtrailer001201mbp

Say, was this the flick where they are driving up a long winding road on a mountain, and then have to turn around? If so I have seen portions of it.

Mojito

One Too Many
Steinbeck discussion his impressions of trailer parks and their inhabitants at some length in Travels with Charley. He was clearly fascinated by them, and reports at length a conversation with a man who argues the pros of this lifestyle. If anything, although not something I suspect he would like for himself, Steinbeck seems to have found these people quite dynamic and proactive - as mentioned above, it provided a means of following available work. I found his observations an interesting contrast with how trailer park inhabitants are often viewed today.

Bebop

Practically Family
I lived in trailer parks across the western U.S. for a year in 03'-04' and still do for months at a time. Trailer parks are a bit different than mobile home parks. I think mobile home parks were more popular in the 40's and 50's than trailer parks.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Bebop said:
I lived in trailer parks across the western U.S. for a year in 03'-04' and still do for months at a time. Trailer parks are a bit different than mobile home parks. I think mobile home parks were more popular in the 40's and 50's than trailer parks.

How do you distinguish the two? I know an RV park is for people on the go, but I always thought of mobile home and trailer parks as pretty much the same...

Bebop

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
How do you distinguish the two? I know an RV park is for people on the go, but I always thought of mobile home and trailer parks as pretty much the same...
Now that you mention it........ It may be that I think of trailer parks as RV parks. I see mobile home parks as places where there are trailers that have no wheels. Maybe trailer parks are mobile home parks and what I am talking about is an RV park. I suppose I am calling RV parks, trailer parks. There are some mobile home parks that have spaces for RV's. It sometimes is the same place. All this trailer talk is making me dizzy!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Bebop said:
Now that you mention it........ It may be that I think of trailer parks as RV parks. I see mobile home parks as places where there are trailers that have no wheels. Maybe trailer parks are mobile home parks and what I am talking about is an RV park. I suppose I am calling RV parks, trailer parks. There are some mobile home parks that have spaces for RV's. It sometimes is the same place. All this trailer talk is making me dizzy!

Me too! But everyone needs some trailer talk now and again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe