Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Warp Experience w/ Art Fawcett

stylinfedoras

New in Town
I have had it on my mind to buy a new hat for sometime now. I had lost my job recently and needed something to pick me up a bit so I gave Art Fawcett a call last week to place an order. After receiving the conformer and returning it, I gave him another call.

While we are chatting away it hits me that his voice sounds familiar and it occurs to me that I think I may know this person. When he confirmed that he used to do the Santa Monica Vintage Clothing Show, I knew for sure I had bought hats from him 15 to 20 years ago. I was simply dumbfounded to be in contact with him again.

Two of the best vintage hats I own today came from Art and this particular show. I can remember well the conversations we had concerning hats and his fascination with that topic we both loved so well. This I am sure was well before he made the decision to start making hats.

The best straw hat I own today Art had saved for me to try out at the show having remembered my size and my interest in fine hats . Art is one hell of a great person to meet and truly loves hats as I can testify from all those years ago.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
That's cool. I hope the hat lifts your spirits. I've been there. I never thought about purchasing a hat as a pick me up. I usually go hunting or fishing for a pick me up. Of course I have the appropriate head wear on my noggin.

stylinfedoras

New in Town
Still Thinking it Over

I have a number of hats that I have found thru the years. And since Art is dealing with a lot of orders at the moment, I am still giving it some thought as to the selection I will make. Will post a image when it is completed.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the thread Stylin, it WAS pretty strange after all these years. Now that I see your avatar, if that is you, I clearly remember our basic conversations. I wish I could say that about everyone I've met over the years, I really do feel bad that my memory doesn't serve me well enough, but there are some people that do stick. I really used to love doing the shows, well, at least meeting the people part, (not the loading, setup, teardown, and travel part) especially my hat customers that share the same passions. Many here on the Lounge were also clients from those shows and are the very people that encouraged me to start making hats.

Barb

One of the Regulars
My mom's favorite expression whenever

I was disappointed or had my feelings hurt when I was a teenager and through college was:

"Go buy a hat"

In her family, that was just what they did (both men and women) for a little self esteem boost. Once or twice, she gave me a "little hat money" when it was a big "hurt". As this had gone down through several generations, it was translated to mean "go buy yourself something to make you feel good about yourself".

In re-reading this thread, it all makes perfect sense to me now.

LEUII said:
That's cool. I hope the hat lifts your spirits. I've been there. I never thought about purchasing a hat as a pick me up. I usually go hunting or fishing for a pick me up. Of course I have the appropriate head wear on my noggin.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Art has saved my butt many times!:eusa_clap He's always been kind and courteous, too, even though I'm the type of person who lets it all hang out...most of the time (better than having a stroke or heart attack! haha).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally