Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tibet protests spread to other provinces

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, it looks like it is erupting in Tibet again. :evil:

capt.aa1342a7b4e146e1a97b5cfe70d68663.aptopix_china_tibet__xaw111.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080316/ap_on_re_as/china_tibet
Only a personal opinion here, but maybe it is long past high time the world boycotts products from China. Maybe, just maybe it will get someones attention to possibly rethink their decision making paradigm? What say you?
I know it is a hard thing to do when so much of what we all buy is made, either in whole or part, in China. It's just a thought, since I personally think this is just wrong on so many levels. But hey, that's just my simple opinion.

Cheers!

Dan

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I wish somebody could explain the wisdom in having the olympic games there. Nobody seemed to care back then. And nobody seems to care now.
Even the danish crownprince has decided that he will go and watch the games.
:eusa_doh:

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
I wish somebody could explain the wisdom in having the olympic games there. Nobody seemed to care back then. And nobody seems to care now.
Even the danish crownprince has decided that he will go and watch the games.
:eusa_doh:

from what ive heard the athletes may have a hard time breathing and such because of the pollution...

Jovan

Suspended
DanielJones said:
Only a personal opinion here, but maybe it is long past high time the world boycotts products from China. Maybe, just maybe it will get someones attention to possibly rethink their decision making paradigm? What say you?
I know it is a hard thing to do when so much of what we all buy is made, either in whole or part, in China.
All for it.

As am I--OTOH, with all eyes on China for the Olympics, this is the perfect time for anyone not "in line" with the ruling Maoist oligarchy to make their point. The Reds learned their lesson about running dissidents over with tanks in front of the world's eyes at Tiananmen Square--they'll either order a media blackout or wait until the "Foreign Devils" go home. Western eyes are the best life-insurance they could ask for...

I used to discuss this very issue with a few pro-Tibet activists in high-school and college every so often, and always reminded them that whoever has the guns usually makes the rules--unless you can change the politics behind the uniforms, which doesn't much happen in places like China, where what the regime wants it gets and if it's a budget problem the peasants get 20% less meat and 30% less toilet-paper and if anyone has a problem with it they get a bullet in the head and their family gets sent a bill for that bullet. Tibet should be and ought be free to choose their own path, but Gandhi-style pacifism only works if your opponent has some conscience, which the PLA and its political masters most definitely lack...

Apologies for the rant, y'all.

surely

A-List Customer
"maybe it is long past high time the world boycotts products from China." DanielJones

Probably way long past the time when it might have made a difference. For ones conscience its always possible to make ones own boycott.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
with the amount of out sourcing, the profits made and the people buying the inexpensive products, boycotting probably won't change much...imo...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Yes, I was about to mention that as well. While I don't take exception to anything said here, I too feel that this rolled right into the political spectrum right away. It'll just be a matter of time 'til this thread get locked.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well then, we keep it non-political please. A social & conscience based discussion if you please. Hard to do, yes, but it can be done. My intention is just to keep the eyes open and the awareness alive.

Cheers!

Dan

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
By its very nature, this subject is going to be nearly impossible to stay apolitical.

Cheers,
~Z :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust