Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
8yeuwz.png

2qxxmhx.jpg

Brass.

Carbide or electric?

As is usually the case with vitanola's way-smarter-than-my-small-brain-can-handle posts, I had to look up carbides on the web and based on that (and a truly boring Wikipedia page I read), I vote for electric.

hairbrush or comb? (notice the "small brainess" of my "this or thats")

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
As is usually the case with vitanola's way-smarter-than-my-small-brain-can-handle posts, I had to look up carbides on the web and based on that (and a truly boring Wikipedia page I read), I vote for electric.

hairbrush or comb? (notice the "small brainess" of my "this or thats")

That was a response to the "brass or chrome" Automobiles; "Brass era" 1896-1915, "Nickle Era" 1915 (with a couple of exceptions as early as 1913)-1929, and "Chrome Era" referring to post '29 stuff. Brass era cars are generally found fitted with carbide headlamps, electric lamps only coming into use with the installation of electric starters, except on Fords.

That was a response to the "brass or chrome" Automobiles; "Brass era" 1896-1915, "Nickle Era" 1915 (with a couple of exceptions as early as 1913)-1929, and "Chrome Era" referring to post '29 stuff. Brass era cars are generally found fitted with carbide headlamps, electric lamps only coming into use with the installation of electric starters, except on Fords.

I am always impressed with your esoteric knowledge and there is always a logical connect to your "this and thats -" I just need to look them up most of the time.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I am always impressed with your esoteric knowledge and there is always a logical connect to your "this and thats -" I just need to look them up most of the time.

That is what comes from living in the Great City and spending ones time in useful pursuits. By leading a useful life one seldom has the time or energy to immerse oneself in the minutiae of a long-dead past, even should one be so inclined.

I too often use the passive voice, don't I?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1st, I suppose, for "Sultans of Swing" is the only record of theirs that I recall. I do have fond memories of a frat party where that single was played over and over again, but that is another story.

Sorry, forgot my "This or that"!

Arch Oboler or Norman Corwin?

Oboler. Corwin's prose tended to go just a bit too purple for my taste.

Lots of sound effects or minimal sound effects?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Minimal. I have lots of sound effects records, so if I want to hear "Traffic at the Corner of State and 3rd", or "A man demolishing a piano with an axe" I can play the records myself.

Oddly enough I rather like Corwin's purple prose, but then I would...

Burns and Allen or Bergen and McCarthy?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I like both but, would give the edge to Nutting. (His landscapes)

Oil painting brushes; ;)

Red sable ?
or
Camel’s hair ?

"Camel Hair" (squirrel hair, actually). I occasionally restore old paintings, and repair chinaware. The cheap squirrel hair brushes are just right for this work,

So, "Captain Billy's a Whiz-Bang!" or the "Smart Set?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust