Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Works: Shave, haircut and shine

JeffW

Familiar Face
Decided today to treat myself to the "works" at a local old time barber shop. I have never had a shave like that before. I could not believe the place. Haircut, shave, shoe shine and back rub.. What a great experience. All for only $29.00

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
WoW!
I had only seen that about 15 years ago in Phoenix. Can't remember the name of the place but they were in the Thomas Shopping Center. Shave, haircut and a back rub for about 30 clams. Would go there once or twice a month while I was going to school there. Very relaxing indeed.

Cheers!

Dan

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Nice! Wish there was a place like that around here. Though the lady who cuts my hair does a great job, is very easy on the eyes, and does massage my shoulders. I wonder if I could talk her into a shave and shining my shoes...

Chad

Wild Root

Gone Home
That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a cool deal! There are small independent barber shops over here that have been around since the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. There is one that comes to mind that I have been to a few times. A haircut is 10 bucks, and if you ad more to that like shave and what not, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure it goes up but stays under 30 bucks.

I used to go to Super Cuts and get robed every time. The ladies there didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t understand the 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s style that I wanted. So, I tried some of the old joints in town and got what I wanted. I remember going to a barber shop in Pasadena once that was full up of old timers. Most of them were ex-band members from big bands! I was the only young guy in there. It was so cool! They liked me and my old threads too.

As long as the place has a barber poll out side, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m in there!

Root.

JeffW

Familiar Face
Located in San Antonio Texas. Really funny in that I was telling a friend of mine about it, and he said that he has been getting his haircut there for a long time.

Bebop

Practically Family
When I lived in Pasadena Ca. I used to go to a barber that was on Mentor just south of Colorado that would give the works. Shave, haircut and neck massage with one of those vibrating things. About 20 years ago, $10. I don't remember the name of the place but it was a small place and the barber was quite talkative. Could have been the same place you are talking about, WildRoot.
In Santa Rosa Ca., I went to a barber who was recomended by a brother-in-law, that stunk of whiskey (something that barbers and surgeons should not drink while on duty) and would give you a massage, a haircut, and then splash gallons of some evil smelling sauce on your head without the customers request then charge seperatly for the haircut, massage and sauce. Needless to say, I only went there once. No one wants to pay way too much (I don't remember what I paid but whatever it was, was way too much) for a haircut from a drunk barber.

Kent Allard

New in Town
I've been looking for someplace around here (Columbus, OH) that provides the same service. I found a barber shop in the Yellow Pages called "The Mug and Brush". Sounded perfect. I called to find out what there hours were and mentioned coming in for a haircut and shave. I almost said shave and a haircut but was convinced I'd get a smart-alek reply of "two bits". I needn't have worried as the person on the phone told me they don't do shaves. Why call your establishment "The Mug and Brush" if you don't offer the service your named after?

Anyway, anybody know of a place in Columbus, OH to get a decent shave?

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I too was tired of the supercuts: lost in translation so I spent a good deal of time trying to find a barber of a more traditional influence, a place where I wouldn't be forced to listen to pop music for thirty minutes and study the outdated, by ten years, photos of the "latest cuts." I was more interested in something that was outdated by sixty years and... well I found it.

I live in the semi-dead town of Vista, California. Which is about thirty minutes from the heart of San Diego. Surprisingly Vista has a lot of history, One historic landmark in old town Vista is a barber shop that has had only two owners and has been in existence since the 1920s!

The barber was an old southern gentleman who had an opinion on absolutely everything. He dropped out of school at the age of twelve, yet had the most articulate vocabulary I have ever heard. We talked religion, politics, American youth, conspiracies and of course yesteryear.

The haircut itself was fantastic, it was exactly what I requested and I didn't have to go into detail, but I left there realizing that getting a hair cut should be more than grooming, it used to be an experience, almost like going to see a picture show on a Saturday! You could easily spend several hours inside the barber shop conversing with friends, discovering opinions on issues you thought were dogmatic, learning about your own life and society.

It was a time of fellowship for humanity, it became the new bar for some, it empowered them to share their views. They all became grand philosophers for the duration of their cut and shave, and when they had troubles they would go to the Freudian of the group, and who was this Freudian? The clipper-clad psychiatrist of course.

shamus

Suspended
When I was a poor college student, I needed a haircut but really didn't have any money so I was in Lafayette IN and saw a barber pole on top of those stairs that go down under the building. The building was the court house I believe. Well beside that pole was a hand written sign that said "All hair cuts $5.00."

I having no money thought what a deal! I went down the stairs and into another time.

Inside were four chrome barber chairs from the 20's all lined up. Chairs to the right had no waiting, as only one customer and one barber were in the whole place. The barber was an old, weathered man with a flat top. He wore the standard white barber's frock and had a winston dangling from the corner of his mouth. Above him on the wall was his picture/license that looked like it was from WWII.

The customer as I studied him, was homeless, or living in his car. I took a seat and watched. Beside me on the magazine stands were playboy and other men related mags. A hornets nest hung in the back and if you looked further back, between two army blankets that were hung like curtains, was a cot. I believed he lived there under the court house.

The homeless guy was done with a fresh buzz cut. I took his seat. The old barber put the paper around my neck, then put the cape on. Then he just started cutting.

I realized then that his "All Hair Cuts $5.00" sign, really ment, I do only one hair cut for $5.00. He just started cutting and buzzing. He talked and smoked and talked. Mostly racial, politics and the weather were his topics. I had a 1950's crop when I was done. I handed him my five dollars and didn't need another hair cut for at least 4 months.

Oddly enough, I went back, as the lure of the $5.00 hair cut was too much...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Shamus,
I guess I need to find a fellow like the one that cut your hair. All I wear is a buzz cut and the atmosphere at that shop sounds just about right to me!
A good rule of thumb is: If their shop sign has the word(s) hair styles/stylist I expect to pay a lot to be mangled by a hair "artist". If they sell Haircuts,period...it's probably a safe bet.

I tried going to one of those "artists" once. It cost me $50 and was the single most awful haircut I have ever had. I told the "stylist" exactly what I wanted. I showed pictures. I got something not even close. I'll never make that mistake again. If there are any Lounge members in the S.F. Bay area who can recomend a good old time barber please post your recomendations! :)

varga49

One of the Regulars
JeffW said:
Located in San Antonio Texas. Really funny in that I was telling a friend of mine about it, and he said that he has been getting his haircut there for a long time.

Jeff...Are you from San Antonio?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S