Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Spectacular SS Normandie

DaveTheDude

Suspended
I was fortunate to have had the experience of going on a transatlantic voyage on one of the last truly great oceanliners, the SS France. I was just eight at the time, but have vivid memories exploring every nook and cranny of that ship. She was a beauty.
Ever since that time I've had a fascination with the great oceanliners of the past.
I recently came across this spectacular web site for the SS Normandie.
http://www.alae.us/Normandie/
It was especially sad for me to find out yesterday that the QE2 will be going out of commision soon and become a floating hotel in Dubai. That leaves just one great oceanliner afloat, the QM2.
You can't take those post-modern "fun" cruise ships seriously. Guess all good things must come to an end.

manton

A-List Customer
cookie said:
The Mob sure did a good job on that ship....
Not sure, but is this a reference to supposed mafia involvment in the fire? Because that has been pretty thoroughly debunked.

manton

A-List Customer
DaveTheDude said:
It was especially sad for me to find out yesterday that the QE2 will be going out of commision soon and become a floating hotel in Dubai.
40 years is a good run for a ship like that. QE2 took much more of a beating over the course of her life than those big slabs that prowl the Carribean.

Still, I wonder about the economics of this plan. Are people in Dubai really going to care that much? Will people travel to Dubai just to see her? I don't want to take anything away, she is a fine ship, but very, very dated and much less beautiful (inside and out) than QM1, which is not exactly thriving as a tourist attraction.

Sometimes I worry that QM will be hauled to the breakers yard one of these days. Either that, or some form of government assistance is going to be required to keep her together.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Normandie

manton said:
Not sure, but is this a reference to supposed mafia involvment in the fire? Because that has been pretty thoroughly debunked.

Where? I read soemwhere recently that it has been confirmed that it was payback for efforts to clean up the corrupt waterfront prior to hostiliies

manton

A-List Customer
cookie said:
Where? I read soemwhere recently that it has been confirmed that it was payback for efforts to clean up the corrupt waterfront prior to hostiliies
Harvey Ardman went through the record with numbing thoroughness. He concludes it was an accident. John Maxtone-Graham believes the same thing.

There have been theories floating around forever, some even involving supposed Nazi agents, but so far as I know nothing has ever been substantiated, much less confirmed. Still, if you have something, post or link it, as I'd like to read it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
manton said:
Sometimes I worry that QM will be hauled to the breakers yard one of these days. Either that, or some form of government assistance is going to be required to keep her together.
Maybe she'll be brought to New York or London or Southampton, which would make a lot more sense. New York can always use more hotel space.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I believe considering that since the 60s and 70s, people have sought to preserve history. The physical items may not be present in the future but the memory of them will be stumbled upon by someone and then the preservation begins once more. History repeating itself.

There are so many people on the world who are intrigued by the past. I mean, just look at this place. There will be generations to come if the present generation stays strong. In other words, DON'T DELETE THIS WEBSITE!

The Queen Mary has stood through time, and even now people are fighting for it's existance. Already people are fighting for the SS France's. There is someone out there who may be more than willing to preserve it.

manton

A-List Customer
France is lost, I am convinced. It would be impossible to tow QM around the Horn, and unbelievably expensive to re-engine her, so she is either going to survive in SoCal or not survive at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe