Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Society of Vagabonds"

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
And the exchange took place inside the 1928 Art Deco "Oviatt Building", followed by a tour of the place. :) A most appropriate setting...

Nice touch. Absolutely gorgeous lids -- they have certainly found their rightful owners. Congrats. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
RBH said:
Yep... that was a sweet deal!

Thanks! Funny thing is, when comparing the two hats in person, we discovered that the quality, texture, weight and density of the felts were essentially equal. Even the blocking of the crowns, the width of the ribbons, and the form of the bows appeared identical. In the end, we reckoned that both fedoras were made in the mid 1930s.

Any differences? Yes. My white 'Vimenet' turned out to be almost imperceptibly darker than Douglas's white 'Vagabond'. The 'Vimenet' has a bound edge and white ribbon; the 'Vagabond', a raw edge and black ribbon.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:

Acquired just 2 hours ago. Deadstock 1930s. Now my favorite fedora, bar none!

AtnSept09033.jpg

It looks fantastic on you marc! Just stay away from the red wine;)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Suggestion...

All right fellow Vagabonds and non. I'd like to hear your opinion. The Knox Foxhound that I won on EBay arrived today. I bought it, as some of you might've already heard, so I could take its leather sweat to replace the old, worn out and disgusting one form my grandpa's hat (also a foxhound.) who refuses to wear any other hat that isn't his own, old as dirt, oxbloodish knox.
I had to beg him to let me change the sweat (that looks identical to his BTW) but he finally agreed.

Now, the EBay hat is in bad shape, very dirty black and has a very intense cigar smell. Don't get me wrong, I smoke cigars too but this is ridiculous! Literally, it stinks and I don't think I'd even put it up in classifieds for free.

My question to you: The liner on the EBay hat (also on my grandpa's) is gorgeous, beautiful embroidery. Here’s a pic I just took.

DSC04220.jpg

Would it be a sin to sew this liner to my Vagabond? Would I be killing its no-liner identity?

Please help me decide!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Aureliano, friend, fellow hat-lover from across the world - would it add to the pleasure you take in your hat to add the liner??

If so, then do it! You can always remove it later if you choose to. It's not locked in forever.

So often our love of vintage makes us prisoners to the decisions of the past. Sweet liberty, my friend. Add the liner!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
Aureliano, friend, fellow hat-lover from across the world - would it add to the pleasure you take in your hat to add the liner??

It totally would! but... but... but. I should do it, I want to!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Then you're only doing what someone would have done at the time it was made if they'd had a mind to - seeing as the liner is in keeping with the make and vintage.

Geez man! Replace the timidity with temerity and go do it.

Then post the results!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Time to post my own Vagabonds...

Well, I finally took some photos of the Vagabond I recently won on ebay. The photos aren't as good as I would like as I'm getting used to a new camera and was in a hurry, but they'll do for now.

This is a dark brown hat, very lightweight and sans liner, but I'm not so sure I can call it a true Vagabond--the sweatband says Knox "Vagabond" Felt.

knoxvagabonddarkbrown1s.jpg

knoxvagabonddarkbrown2s.jpg

knoxvagabonddarkbrown4s.jpg

knoxvagabonddarkbrown3s.jpg

knoxvagabonddarkbrown5s.jpg

knoxvagabonddarkbrown6s.jpg

knoxvagabonddarkbrown7s.jpg

knoxvagabonddarkbrown8s.jpg

It was sold by The May Company, a chain I'm familiar with from southern California. It weighs in at 3.1 ounces. The felt is thin, but has stiffener so you can shape it and have it hold it's shape. It's a very nice hat!

Continues in next post...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
What an interesting "specimen" it certainly doesn't quite look like the other vagabonds here (ribbon, maybe the crown?) but one thing is certain: it's a beauty! Any one out there with that "vagabond" felt in the sweat?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The Forgotten Hat...

When I won the brown Vagabond, I did my usual bit of saving the auction photos to my hard drive. When I did so I noticed I already had a folder labeled Knox Vagabond. Apparently I already owned one! :eek:

This one is definitely a Vagabond; says so, imprinted right on the sweatband. It's an off-white color with matching ribbon. The photos:

knoxvagabondoffwhite2s.jpg

knoxvagabondoffwhite3s.jpg

knoxvagabondoffwhites.jpg

knoxvagabondoffwhite4s.jpg

knoxvagabondoffwhite5s.jpg

knoxvagabondoffwhite6s.jpg

knoxvagabondoffwhite1s.jpg

Note that the trailing edge of the box bow has the "frayed" touch! And it does say The Knox "Vagabond" on the sweat. :)

I can't quite make out the name of the store in the shield, but it was located "Washington at West Park Portland Oreg.

The felt is even thinner than the brown one, and the ribbon is narrower. Not much stiffener at all, if any--touch the felt and you're going to change it whether you wanted to or not. And it's light! It weighs only 2.4 ounces!

All in all, a very nice hat. I'll have to come up with an appropriate outfit to wear it with someday.

Cheers,
Tom

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I love that one Tom! My vagabond is as you describe yours: very thin, touch it too hard and the shape could get messed up.
You're a vagabond!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe