Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oldest Brew

BJonas

One of the Regulars
:beer:

I'm not a big drinker, but I enjoy the occasional beer. Does anyone know what the oldest US beer is that's still being brewed? Pabst Blue-Ribbon? Shlitz Malt Liquor? And what is your brew of choice?

Cheers :cheers1:

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
It seems like Yuengling makes this claim right on their bottle ("America's Oldest Brewery"). I'm no beer expert, though.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Brew

I thought Schlitz went down the drain when Saigon fell in '75.
And I haven't seen a PBR since I was a teenager, when the medics
were mixing alcohol with Mogen David wine to make MAD DOG!
Not exactly Mr Johnny Walker, but kosher moonshine nonetheless.;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have a little bar in the balcony at the theatre where I work (a very civilized way to watch a movie), and we have Pabst on tap for $2 a glass. Whenever we do a college-type film festival, we sell out of the stuff. It's very hip and trendy right now -- hard tellin' why.

I drink Guinness myself. It's Good For You!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Barflick

LizzieMaine said:
We have a little bar in the balcony at the theatre where I work (a very civilized way to watch a movie), and we have Pabst on tap for $2 a glass. Whenever we do a college-type film festival, we sell out of the stuff. It's very hip and trendy right now -- hard tellin' why.

I drink Guinness myself. It's Good For You!

Sure beats buttered popcorn!lol

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
PBR is really popular among the hipster crowd these days. I'm not sure what the attraction is, but somehow someone started proclaiming that it was cool to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon.

In a movie theater in Amsterdam I bought a combo meal that was two Heinekens with a tub a popcorn. Best of both worlds. :)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Polka Dot said:
PBR is really popular among the hipster crowd these days. I'm not sure what the attraction is, but somehow someone started proclaiming that it was cool to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon.

In a movie theater in Amsterdam I bought a combo meal that was two Heinekens with a tub a popcorn. Best of both worlds. :)

Frank Booth liked it.

Z0248431.JPG
frankbooth7ns.jpg

Drinking PBR is simply a joke. It's a bit ironic, like Old Milwaukee, Stroh's etc. They are somewhat anachronistic - they don't advertise, their labels are the same as they've been for 100 or so years, and you're damn straight they ain't ice filtered. These are working men's beers! (Or so goes the story.) By drinking PBR you can connect with the Chicago construction worker sitting in Rigley watching the Cubs lose AGAIN, thusly connecting with your working class roots. It brings a tear to one's eye, so it does.

Everyone knows how bad it is. For some reason people think it's funny to drink PBR. Hey, when you can get a 30-pack for less than $15, drink 'em all and still be able to function, it can't be bad, right? :rage: At least it's not "lite"

Me, i prefer the beers where 4-5 is my limit. Don't get so bloated with those.

bk

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Depends on what I'm eating. Some roasted pork, and I like a Dunkel. I like a nice Saison Dupont with my spicy shrimp jambalaya. Pizza calls for an American Amber Lager. Summer salads, I prefer a wheat beer like Hoegaarden or a Hefeweizen.

I'm big on Belgian ales (especially Trappist), but like all sorts of brews.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The only Affligem I've had is their Tripel. It's good, but a little too carbonated for me. My favorite Tripel is Westmalle.

I also enjoy a good Kolsch when I can find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley