Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The heart throb's hat

I rarely go to movies, tend to avoid television, and ain't much interested in the lives of celebrities. But I do buy groceries a few times per week. So, while I wait behind the jerks with the brim-full carts in the 10-items-or-less checkout line, I peruse the periodicals on display there. (The Weekly World News is clearly the best of the bunch, but that's a story for another day.)
Anyway, there's this Johnny Depp character who, I gather, is some big-time movie star. I hear the girls are crazy about him.
I've seen posted here photos of him in a couple of hats, including pics of him in a bound-edged beater. It seems the young man must be living in that hat. Really, over the past couple of weeks I've seen several pictures of him in that hat. And it ain't that a bunch of pictures of him were taken at one event and then found their way into the gossip rags. I've seen photos of him in various outfits but still that same hat.
It's a cool hat, and I like the way he wears it, with a crooked brim and a sloppy bash. Any idea what sort of hat it is?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Tony: I believe the popular consensus was that it is a Stetson Whippet. JP even posted these ad's.

1951-Stetson-Whippet-Gray.jpg

1945stetson-whippet.jpg

And Baron Kurtz has one that is pretty sharp looking.
36UT1.jpg

potc2577.jpg

Even as a beater (a very well worn favorite it appears) it is worn well with unique non-cookiecutter style. Now, it's not a style for everyone, and not all folks appreciate his indevidual panache, and that's all well and fine. A great hat never had so much media coverage lately as this beater.
I'm quite sure that if I had a hat (beater) like that it would get worn quite often from grocery shopping to hiking the John Meur Trail, and then an evening at the movies. It's like a favorite jacket or shirt or article of something that goes with you where ever you go, it becomes a part of you and you almost feel naked without it. But hey, that's just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Cheers!

Dan

Cheers!

Dan

Yeah, it does look Whippet-esque, for sure. But then, so do lots of hats, including my recently acquired old Disney Ahwahnee (thanks Nick), my faded beater. Perhaps I should do a search, eh? Just to see what other evidence has surfaced.
What's cool about Depp's beater is that, banged-up as it is (is that a hole at the top front?), the crown is still pretty much straight-sided and the hat still carries its proportions well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally