Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The FL users guide to taking good pictures of your new jacket

I haven't seen a thread on this and thought I'd jump on the opportunity....
Any and all suggestions are welcome (both serious and not so....)

#1- Use a tripod, not your toddler. The shots will come out more clearly, and we want to see details!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great idea for a thread, I always moan when people put crappy pics up here, but am actually a repeat offender myself...

#2- Take it outside. There is no better light source than the sun, and your camera has a color setting for it too. Cloudy and shady spots, or near a window work fine as well, but the jacket color might be off (set camera's WB to AUTO). Be careful of really shady areas like woods, and don't shoot at sunset if you can help it, unless you're taking the jacket to the beach.
Flash is a real problem for these beauties, so I'd try to avoid the low-light situations.

Last edited:
#3- "Off with your head" don't worry about cutting your head off if you don't want everyone in the world who googles "horsehide jacket" to see your goofy expression. Note that you can also do this with the crop tool at home.

Last edited:
#4- Fill is your friend. If you're taking pictures in the bright sun, try standing near a light colored or white wall. the "bounce" off the white will fill in the shadows a bit (making them not as black) which really helps with darker colors like brown and black.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
#5 Awkwardly ask your better half to take a photo of you. Then ask her to take a few more because she seemed to emphasize your belly and double chin in the last shot

(And prey that none of your neighbors or friends walk by as you strangely pose in front of your house)

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Choose a personalized backdrop. This will be where you take your pictures from now on. Whether you have a favorite tree, wall, porch, or garden, choose one and stick with it. Like your jacket, your background will be an extension of your tastes, and will offer the viewer a glimpse into your life outside of leather, granted you have one.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
#5 Awkwardly ask your better half to take a photo of you. Then ask her to take a few more because she seemed to emphasize your belly and double chin in the last shot

(And prey that none of your neighbors or friends walk by as you strangely pose in front of your house)

You've walked past my house and seen me at it?!?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'd also suggest wearing jackets with the kind of pants, shirt that you would normally wear it with, and not the clothes you would throw on in a rush, before a shower, before popping down to the store to buy milk for morning coffee- helps avoid all those 'tuck your shirt in', 'your jacket looks too short because of your pants' comments.

Edward

Bartender
Most important, use a proper camera, not mobile phone. OK, I know all my photos are taken by mobile, and this is how I learned this.

Depends on the mobile, really... Most of my photos currently are taken with my mobile, which has a 12mp resolution and a decent lens. The tech is improving all the time.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Can I add, try not to pose like a catalogue model unless that is your job. And try to find a prop, I dont feel comfortable without one. A dog, a beer or a smoke, maybe a hat in your hand or some tool such as an axe or even a sporting gun. These things may detract in some cases from the look of what you are modelling but may make you pose more natural. How about smiling if you dont mind showing your face instead of the 'Dont mess with me' look adopted by so many tv and movie personalities.
Just a few of my ideas, they may not work for everyone but thats how I like to pose haha.

zhz

Practically Family
Depends on the mobile, really... Most of my photos currently are taken with my mobile, which has a 12mp resolution and a decent lens. The tech is improving all the time.

I took most of my photos with my iPhone as well, I just feel some times it is difficult to take good/clear photos when the light are not very good.

Dav

One Too Many
I've found using the multi shot feature along with the self timer one worked for me, mine used to take ten shots about a second apart, so usually one or two would be usable, this was with a point and shoot.
I've since bought a new DSLR with a remote, which is much better.
Now I just need a new jacket to photo!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
My way of doing it, DSLR, remote software (in my case, Canon) and a laptop. You can do literally any kind of multiple shootings.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^ Show Off! :p

Me? I wake up my son (as rudely as possible) hand him a camera and say shoot away. At work? I draft some lowly minion for the duty. Both sprinkled liberally with veiled threats and overt arm twisting. Works for moi!

Worf

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
rocketeer said:
How about smiling if you dont mind showing your face instead of the 'Dont mess with me' look adopted by so many tv and movie personalities.
Yes, please listen to this. Stick your tongue out or something, anything other than the "cop/gangbanger staredown" look. And don't stand at "attention" unless you're in the military. Even then, don't. Most people look ridiculous standing like that.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
handymike said:
#4- Fill is your friend. If you're taking pictures in the bright sun, try standing near a light colored or white wall. the "bounce" off the white will fill in the shadows a bit (making them not as black) which really helps with darker colors like brown and black.
I've never heard this suggested before... interesting. I'd have thought that too much contrast in terms of subject vs background would be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82