Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fate of Edward Hopper's "Gas" station

Story

I'll Lock Up
WELLFLEET — The ghostly, crumbling husk of a 1920s filling station sits off Route 6 near the Truro line, a ramshackle remnant of another era that might have influenced “Gas,’’ one of Edward Hopper’s famous prewar paintings.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...fficials_debate_preserving_1920s_gas_station/

539w.jpg

WELLFLEET, MA – An article in Sunday’s Boston Globe highlights a shuttered 1920s filling station in Massachusetts, one that might have influenced a famous Edward Hopper painting (“Gas”), and efforts to preserve its historical significance. However, the state’s pursuit is sharply at odds with federal efforts to demolish the station.

“It’s falling in on itself,’’ said William Burke, park historian for the Cape Cod National Seashore, where the building is located. “I’m not going into that station. The floor is virtually gone.’’

Despite Burke’s description of a safety hazard, the Massachusetts Historical Commission views the site as an iconic example of mom-and-pop gas stations that once occupied roadsides across the United States.

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/Daily/Pages/ND0406103.aspx

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I wish they'd show a shot if the building in its present condition. To a preservationist an old ramshackled building can look like the Taj Mahal, if it has the right lines. Old gas stations are very rare nowadays. Some of them have wonderfully simple architectural merit. I hope they can save it.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
It doesn't look much like the painting. It of course probably changed significantly over the period of a few decades until it closed(if it is indeed the same station). Google pictures aren't great either.
It seems long gone, but hey, If they do get it done, its another piece of history saved, which I'm all for of course.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Four Seas Ice Cream Parlor

Hmmm . . . I seem to recall a fabulous ice cream place in Centerville Corners, on Cape Cod, called Four Seas Ice Cream Parlor. And as I recall, it's in an old gas station. Fabulous place. Any ice cream entrepreneurs listening out there?

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
Hmmm . . . I seem to recall a fabulous ice cream place in Centerville Corners, on Cape Cod, called Four Seas Ice Cream Parlor. And as I recall, it's in an old gas station. Fabulous place. Any ice cream entrepreneurs listening out there?

I go out to the Cape every summer, I've been to Four Seas, its good, always crowded though. There's a ton of other places just as good, my favorite is Smitty's in Falmouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg