Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Harv, bond, Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback...Ha! It wasn't just any paint can. It was a Sherwin Williams paint can! Gooood paint! Makes a pretty decent hat block too! ;) ...definitely gotta get a real hat block!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
T Jones,Great job.Paint can and bubble wrap.Welcome to the world of guerilla hat conversions.We make do with what we have.Keep up the awesome work.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
T Jones,Great job.Paint can and bubble wrap.Welcome to the world of guerilla hat conversions.We make do with what we have.Keep up the awesome work.

Ha! Ain't that the truth! Thanks buddy. I remember you said in a past post that you use things found around your house to make conversions. Seeing how well your conversions always look I took your advice and found a paint can and bubble wrap! :D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My latest conversion project, still in the rough and still drying. I'm making a Western / Fedora hybrid. I drew some of my inspiration from the Cavalry hats that were worn in the 1939 movie, "Stagecoach", which starred John Wayne. The felt on this hat is very dense. The crown is 5 inches tall, (as creased), 4 1/2 inches at the pinch and sloping to 4 1/4 inches at the back. I creased it with a Center Dent and trimmed the brim to 3 inches wide. The size tag says 7 1/4, but it seems pretty big for that. I can usually pad a sweat in a 7 1/4 and get it to fit me, but not on this one. It's way too big for me. The hat came out very crisp...now decision time. My ribbon choice is down to two colors, either Burgandy or a Flesh looking color. To me, the Burgandy looks really nice but seems a bit limited to dressier attire. The lighter ribbon gives a nice clean look to the hat and seems like it would be more versatile. Both ribbons look nice. I'll probably put this one up for sale or trade...The felt is really nice and dense, even for a Western...

New_Project_01.jpg

New_Project_02.jpg

New_Project_03.jpg

New_Project_04.jpg

The ribbon choices...

New_Project_05.jpg

New_Project_06.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Finally getting caught up. I finished Landman's sweatband replacement tonight.

apaqyvap.jpg

e9a7a5yj.jpg

me8yvy8y.jpg

I should finish Splintercellz' C&K rebuild this weekend. Just took it off the block - it upsized only a bit, and I was able to keep the same profile, brim width & crown height as the original hat.

5uranuqe.jpg

usa9y9ev.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Joao, Richard, John Galt, Harv, Mr. Astor, Manfred, thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback.

Mr. Astor, thanks buddy. For cutting the brim I used sharp scissors and followed Dane's instructions on using them. Long full cuts, not short choppy ones. Then I sand the edge of the brim to get it smooth. The only reason I use scissors though is because I don't have a brim cutter. Like DOGMAN, I use what I have available, (and you see how nice his conversions turn out), to get the desired results. Having the right tools like a hat block, a brim cutter, and a flange would be so much better though.

John Galt, nice work buddy! Looks like Penman, Art Fawcett, Black Sheep Hat Works and the others are going to have to move over and make room for the new Hatter in town! ;)

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tjones, forget the scissors that's a recipe for disaster. Better to use an exacto knive from a hobby store and do it free hand. Lot easier to control and there's no abrupt edges that one gets when using scissors, also when flat you get a straighter cut edge than a scissor could would leave .

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Tjones, forget the scissors that's a recipe for disaster. Better to use an exacto knive from a hobby store and do it free hand. Lot easier to control and there's no abrupt edges that one gets when using scissors, also when flat you get a straighter cut edge than a scissor could would leave .

Thanks bond, I'll try that. Although I've been lucky so far with the scissors I'm not a fan of using them. I'll try the exacto knife. John Galt suggested that too some time back. There's a Western Shop not too far from me I think sells brim cutters. But those only remove 1/8 at a time. Might be better than scissors though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe