Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

VoodooSan

Practically Family
I haven't had a chance to read all 493 pages here yet, but what I read in one post led me to believe this is a 1936-to 1953 vintage. Was I correct, or way off? Any info greatly appreciated!

Borsalino 5.jpg
Borsalino 4.jpg
Borsalino 6.jpg
Borsalino 7.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I haven't had a chance to read all 493 pages here yet, but what I read in one post led me to believe this is a 1936-to 1953 vintage. Was I correct, or way off? Any info greatly appreciated!
I think it is more younger. Around Sixties or early Seventies.
It is a very nice hat and arrived from Balbi shop in Naples where the US Army (Navy) based in Bagnoli bought hats for less than in the US

VoodooSan

Practically Family
I think it is more younger. Around Sixties or early Seventies.
It is a very nice hat and arrived from Balbi shop in Naples where the US Army (Navy) based in Bagnoli bought hats for less than in the US
Thank you, sir. I obviously did not correctly interpret the thread about under-lining tags their serrated edges!

After seeing Alan's one I couldn't pass up on this Marca Colombo. navy velour, probably just around WWII based on the tags and style. I love that hand and quality of these earlier Italian velour.
Wow, Wayne. That is a stunner you have found yourself there! Love everything about it.

Last edited:
Just to be complete.
Modern Borsalino fedora in a mirtillo blue, which was a nice surprise, because seller sold it as black to me. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. The liner shows it's been worn, but what can you do? Not vintage Borsalino but it was destined for resale anyway (hence the white background). Weighs 106 grams.

borsalino57 mirtillo_01.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_02.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_03.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_04.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_05.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_06.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_08.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_09.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_10.jpg

borsalino57 mirtillo_12.jpg

This hat has a wonderful peach finish. The crown is thin and light enough to blow a crease into. The open crown is 5 ½” and the bound brim is 2 ¼” wide. The label is very hard to read. No store branding.

View attachment 611626 View attachment 611627 View attachment 611628 View attachment 611629 View attachment 611630 View attachment 611631 View attachment 611632 View attachment 611633 View attachment 611634 View attachment 611635
Superb looking hat, Brent. It would take some dead sea scroll kind of scanning to extract anything from that label though! Strange for such a pristine looking hat.

1714892535321.png

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This hat has a wonderful peach finish. The crown is thin and light enough to blow a crease into. The open crown is 5 ½” and the bound brim is 2 ¼” wide. The label is very hard to read. No store branding.

View attachment 611626 View attachment 611627 View attachment 611628 View attachment 611629 View attachment 611630 View attachment 611631 View attachment 611632 View attachment 611633 View attachment 611634 View attachment 611635
Wonderful looking Borsalino, Brent.

Due to the serrated edges, what's left of the paper label suggests a date between 1936 and 1960. The shape, wide ribbon, and wind cord say ca. 1950s to me.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Superb looking hat, Brent. It would take some dead sea scroll kind of scanning to extract anything from that label though! Strange for such a pristine looking hat.
I made the same reasoning about the appearance of the hat and the discarded paper label.
I don't want to seem fussy, but it seems to me like a reconstruction of a Borsalino at a certain point in his life.
The wide hem on the brims is the feature that seems least similar to the Borsalino finishes
Due to the serrated edges, what's left of the paper label suggests a date between 1936 and 1960. The shape, wide ribbon, and wind cord say ca. 1950s to me.

That's just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with your dating Steve, but I think it can be attributed to a certain period in which the hat was "modernized"

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I made the same reasoning about the appearance of the hat and the discarded paper label.
I don't want to seem fussy, but it seems to me like a reconstruction of a Borsalino at a certain point in his life.
The wide hem on the brims is the feature that seems least similar to the Borsalino finishes

I agree with your dating Steve, but I think it can be attributed to a certain period in which the hat was "modernized"
I think you could well be right, Daniele. There do appear to be some anomalies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters