Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Acquisition of a Linen Suit in Australia

LordBest

Practically Family
Dear Sirs,
I am a young gentleman in the state of Victoria, Australia. For many years now I have been forced to wear the dregs of modern fashion by circumstance. But no longer. I will dress as my sense of aesthetics dictates at last. But there is an impediment. Australia is a hot country in summer, and the standards of dress in the hottest months are abysmal. I wish to maintain a level of style and sophistication in even the most implacable heat.
For this I wish to acquire a linen suit. My city is large but somewhat bereft of decent tailoring. I wish to avoid 'off the rack' clothing as much as possible, yet as a university student my budget is limited. I do have access to Melbourne.
So, advice, gentlemen? Where can one acquire a linen suit, three piece for preference, of quality in the state of Victoria. I believe I ivory or beige would suit me best. As to budget, let us say in the hundreds. Summer is some time off yet so I have time to plot and plan, and I eagerly await the responses of those more knowledgeable than I.
Sincerely yours, LB.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Line In Melbourne

welcome to the Lounge! One of the problems of linen is that it does not always last as well as wool in the sense that you do not find a lot of linen in vintage or second hand shops. What dimensions are you Regular Short size or Long? You are aware of the Melbourne gathering BTW?

LordBest

Practically Family
Thank you for your welcome. I believe I am a Regular, rather large, hence the desire for an ivory colouration as one does not want to look like a snow capped alpine peak. I do not ncessarily require vintage clothing, if it is possible to get new linen in a classic style. It need not be pure linen either, so long as there is no synthetic fibre involved. I abhor synthetic fibres.
I was not aware of the Melbourne gathering, but I have since remedied thsi by a quick glance at the events section, thank you for mentioning it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cotton/Linen Suits

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WashedCo...sku_0=::FKH&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search http://www.landsend.com/pp/PleatCom...sku_0=::FKH&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search http://www.landsend.com/pp/WashedLi...sku_0=::WDX&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

By one of each of the above in same colour. The Landsend.com people give you free trouser length adjustment. Just take off your strides and measure the inside leg Mr Humphreys...lol ;)

I have bought three suits from them this way and they are great - fused but good quality heavy fusing ....

Edward

Bartender
You may, of course, also find that sharp as a three piece looks, going without a waistcoat may be preferable in such a hot climate. (I say this as a Celt who would most likely die in the average Australian Summer.)

Edward

Bartender
Usually when it's warm enough to break out the linen, I'm also sporting a panama. Brown spectators are good, as would be white bucks or similar. or shirts, I find something in a soft cotton (or, of course, linen) with a softer collar works well.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:
I found this waistcoat, it appears to be a whiter linen but I believe it would compliment the jacket and trousers. Somewhat expensive:
http://www.tomsawyerwaistcoats.co.uk/store/showitemTS210.aspx
The temperature in summer varies, in my state atleast. Quite a lot of mid 20s to low 30s, centigrade, I think a linen waistcoat will be fine most of the time.

What does does one wear with a linen suit?

I would not worry about a waistcoat and if I did it would be something in silk...spend you money on another one of the sportscoats to wear on a more casusal summer night IMHO..

SteveN

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/WashedCo...sku_0=::FKH&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search http://www.landsend.com/pp/PleatCom...sku_0=::FKH&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search http://www.landsend.com/pp/WashedLi...sku_0=::WDX&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

By one of each of the above in same colour. The Landsend.com people give you free trouser length adjustment. Just take off your strides and measure the inside leg Mr Humphreys...lol ;)

I have bought three suits from them this way and they are great - fused but good quality heavy fusing ....

Darn. Land's End doesn't seem to be selling the linen pants any longer. Does anyone know where to get a matching jacket/pants in linen?

Like the original poster, I'm about to go through the hot Australian summer.

Regards,
- SteveN

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
try to get something minmally lined

As someone who knows what the hot Australian summer is like, I would try to get something quarter linedor with no lining. The advantage with Melbourne's summer is it is not as humid as Sydney. It can be stiffling to wear a jacket or even a waistcoat in Sydney in summer.

Great to see more Aussies on the lounge!

Cheers

Peter

LordBest

Practically Family
The Lands End suit:
summerchap.jpg

Two small criticisms of the jacket, one is the lack of arm length tailoring options when ordering, the other is the faux pockets.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you sure they're faux pockets...or are they just basted closed for display and shipping? There've been a couple posts on the topic - someone finding after ages their coat really DID have real pockets - they were just lightly stitched closed for whatever reason.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Land End Suit

LordBest said:
The Lands End suit:
summerchap.jpg

Two small criticisms of the jacket, one is the lack of arm length tailoring options when ordering, the other is the faux pockets.

I am feeling full of myself for tipping you into that and thanks for showing as a picture. You got them at the cheap price too...now it would cost 243AUD and then about what 180AUD?

Here's my question.... were both top and bottom the same material? It appears so from the pic. It's got the tropical laidback "on the verandah at Raffles" look favoured by Loungers.

Next question: does it look more like a linen suit or a cotton suit...you know the feel (handle) ... the weight...texture etc?

No one offers sleeve alterations BTW. Only when they sell a suit Short Medium or Long sizes. You look like me...short arms....deep pockets!

LordBest

Practically Family
A well deserved sense of self-fullness I must say, I am extremely grateful to you for pointing me in the direction of Lands End. I ordered and paid for these items when the AUD/USD exchange rate was at 90c, it is now at 66c, so I did save quite a decent sum ordering when I did.
Both top and bottom are of the same material, thankfully. I am rather inexperienced when it comes to different suit fabrics, but from my small experience with linen and cotton I would say it has a definite linen feel. Certainly the jacket feels heavy than some other linen jackets I have handled and the texture is somewhat coarser, if that is the right word, than plain cotton.
The complaint about sleeve adjustments was more about desire rather than expectation, and to be honest, given the apparent quality (durability remainsto be seen) I can not really complain at all.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lands End

You won't be sorry about Lands End quality ...from my experience . I have 3 Irish linen suits and a jacket from them and couldn't be happier and my tailor agrees the fusing is top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe