Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 80s, myth and reality?

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
The 80's was a good time to be a child in The USA. We were on the brink of communications technology. The nation was safe. There was still a safe space for childhood.

Edward

Bartender
Are John Player cigarettes still a thing?

AFAIK they are, though now that it's illegal to advertise tobacco in the UK and all the cigarette packs come in plain packaging, I've got no idea what brands are available any more. I've never been a cigarette smoker, but used to see the brands around.

Back in the 70s, I had a JPS Corgi set which comprised a Lotus Esprit (I think?) with a trailer that pulled the JPS F1 car. Probably still in my parents' house somewhere. I loved that toy - I had no idea what a JPS was other than a race car (my dad has been an F1 fan forever),. I'm sure it'd be worth quite a lot of money now if I hadn't played hard with it for a long time.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
One nice thing from the 80's.... physical fitness seemed to be the order of the day, no matter one's age. Local gym's were as ubiquitous as Starbucks. Other than the (really, really) big hair sprouted by both sexes and most bands, people generally looked good and still dressed sharp for an evening out. Granted, leg warmers for the girls and red pants for the guys may not have stood the test of time, but the whole image presented better than the current morbidly obese phase which seems to permeate today's youth....and when did sweat pants become evening wear?
The music scene was also very dance-able and fun, (without all the profane anger).
Cheers!

Aside from Don Johnson, I guess, HE was "the man of the hour" for all the teenage boys in the 80s, right?

Is the scene iconic?
Did white rib-undershirts and Zippos boom after the movie started? I wouldn't wonder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads