Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving Day 2010

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
So, how are you planning to spend thanksgiving day this year?

Do you celebrate the day in a vintage way?, have any family traditions and or recipies you'd like to share?

With my dear father passing away 6 wks ago, it is going to be VERY hard. I just don't feel like cooking or even really celebrating the day :( I had been living out of state since 2001 so I had not celebrated with my parents in a long time but I guess what saddens my heart the most was that last year my poor parents were home alone.. both had dementia (although I did not know it at the time) anyways they were alone and had no turkey dinner. my mom had told me on the phone last year that they had called my sister who lives a mere half hour away and had asked her to take them to a resturant, her reply to my mother was: "I wouldn't want to be seen in public with you guys". :(:cry: and to think it was daddys last holiday...

/|\

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking of roasting a duck this year. It takes me way too long to eat even the smallest turkey. Other than that, I'll probably just watch movies and hang out on the Internet.

Pompidou

One Too Many
The family usually gets together. My dad does the turkey, I do the mashed potatoes, and my mom does the rest. For whatever reason, people like my mashed potatoes, despite my being a lousy cook. That's the plan this year as well.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We started a "night before Thanksgiving" party last year that went well, so we're doing that again. Then the parade on TV the next morning with my 5 year old, followed by March of the Wooden Soldiers. Thanksgiving dinner will be at my sister's house which should be nice and low key. I'll bring my King Kong DVD and hopefully get a chance to watch it! And since I'm in retail management, I'll be waking up at 2AM Thursday night and head to work for Black Friday festivities!

Last edited:

Foofoogal

Banned
I am very sorry shopgirl. I have definitely found in life many times we do not know what we have till we lose it. A very hard lesson in life. I say all the time I would give 2 years of my life to talk to my parents for 2 hours again. They passed in the 1980s.

We moved from Texas to Arkansas about 18 mo. ago and everyone we love live back there. This year immediate family are coming to our home for dinner.
I started plans about a month ago. I want to get everything perfect for that day. I put my china on the display thread here.
Planning the menu with new recipes etc.
Possibly you could start a tradition with someone near to you.

/|\

One of the Regulars
With my dear father passing away 6 wks ago, it is going to be VERY hard. I just don't feel like cooking or even really celebrating the day :( I had been living out of state since 2001 so I had not celebrated with my parents in a long time but I guess what saddens my heart the most was that last year my poor parents were home alone.. both had dementia (although I did not know it at the time) anyways they were alone and had no turkey dinner. my mom had told me on the phone last year that they had called my sister who lives a mere half hour away and had asked her to take them to a resturant, her reply to my mother was: "I wouldn't want to be seen in public with you guys". :(:cry: and to think it was daddys last holiday...

shopgirl61, it was starting to get late last night, and I was distracted by a documentary on WWI, arguing with a troll on another message board, and was otherwise distracted. I fear I merely skimmed this paragraph. Now that I've had some sleep and am less distracted, please let me offer condolences for the loss of your father. Six weeks is very close, and the holidays always heighten the loss. Both of my parents are gone, though time has softened the pain. I'm sorry your sister was so self-centered.

I know what it's like to spend holidays alone. (Though I'm not clear whether you are.) But I choose to wave two fingers in the direction of melancholy. No guests? Bollocks to that! I'm cooking anyway! Thanksgiving is roasted turkey with stuffing (not dressing -- nobody's gotten sick yet!), mashed potatoes, gravy, brussels sprouts, and a bottle of Beaujolais. And maybe a pecan pie, if I feel like it. Christmas is roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (the ribs are great when reheated with BBQ sauce!), boiled red potatoes, brussels sprouts (hey, I like them!), a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, and some glögi (hot mulled wine with vodka). So anyone who doesn't show up is missing out!

As I said, turkeys are a little big for me. I insist on a whole bird rather than parts, because it tastes better. This year I don't want to be eating turkey for two weeks, hence the duck idea. I'll go down to Pike Place Market to see if I can get one. If I can't, then turkey is the fall-back.

Do try to have a good holiday, in spite of your troubles. I'm reminded of a few lined by Edmund Vance Cooke:

Oh, a trouble's a ton, or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it,
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only how did you take it?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Shopgirl,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know greif makes holidays even more challenging, but try to recall happy times. Sometimes, fond thoughts of those we love prove the best "celebration" of all.

Now my family puts the fun in dysfunctional. ;) My Mom suggested we all go out to dinner. I think a few of us flashed to A Christmas Story and the scene set at the Chinese restaurant. Mom was outvoted and TG is on. My Aunts are attempting to revamp the menu. Since I don't do the cooking, it wasn't my place to offer an opinion BUT I drew the line at "no stuffing". No stuffing?!!! I live for the stuffing! Wet stuffing from inside the turkey, dry stuffing (anything we can't stuff in the bird) baked in a pie tin. OMG baked stuffing and cranberry sauce and I'm good to go!

I plan on doing the "family thing" but since I have the day off this year, I'm going to attempt to do a little cooking for my own household. I'd like to maybe roast a turkey breast, bake some stuffing and maybe do a veggie of some sort but I'm not sure what. It will not be ruttabeggars (sp?) because peeling them kills my hands. Anyway, to facilitate my culinary experiment I got a "Savory Jr" enamelware roasting pan. I kinda recall my Gram having one of these but she used the Ever-wear aluminum roaster for holiday turkeys. (I got one of those too in case I feel like taking on the whole bird, but that would require a lot of fool hearted bravery plus or minus wine on my part!) I know...a roasting pan is pretty boring but right now this little guy just tickles my domestic fancy!

Savory Jr Roaster by susanmcs, on Flickr

Savory Jr Roaster 2 by susanmcs, on Flickr

rue

Shopgirl,
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that somehow you can find joy in the upcoming seasons and remember happier times spent with your parents (hugs)

As for me and my family, we were supposed to go out to AZ to spend it with my mom, brother and his family like we do every year, but my son is coming home from Army training and won't be able to go out there with us, so we're staying home this year. No matter where we spend it though, we always have the same dinner for Christmas or Thanksgiving...

Turkey with stuffing
ham
mung potatoes (trust me they're good, we just have odd recipe names in our family lol )
cheesy broccoli
yam peach bake with marshmallows
raspberry jello with cream cheese
crescent rolls

If you want a recipe let me know :)

I set the table in the dining room with my great grandmothers china and silver and everyone dresses up. I think it makes it special to do that, but I do hear a bit of grumbling from male guests when we invite them ;)

Last edited:

rue

Anyway, to facilitate my culinary experiment I got a "Savory Jr" enamelware roasting pan. I kinda recall my Gram having one of these but she used the Ever-wear aluminum roaster for holiday turkeys. (I got one of those too in case I feel like taking on the whole bird, but that would require a lot of fool hearted bravery plus or minus wine on my part!) I know...a roasting pan is pretty boring but right now this little guy just tickles my domestic fancy!

Savory Jr Roaster by susanmcs, on Flickr

Savory Jr Roaster 2 by susanmcs, on Flickr

I'm so jealous! I may have to get one myself :D

rue

Ask and you shall recieve :)

Mung potatoes:

Here's what you'll need:

4 large russet potatoes
8 ounce package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 egg
1 Tablespoon flour (I like unbleached)
a small can of french fried onions (in California we used Durkee, but here they only have French's)

1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. Make regular mashed potatoes with butter and a little less milk than you normally would.
  3. Put the mashed potatoes in a large mixing bowl along with the cream cheese, egg, flour, and salt and pepper to taste. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy.
  4. Spoon mixture into a 9 inch baking dish (I usually use a dish from a buffet server when I'm cooking on the holidays so I can keep it warm) and sprinkle with the can of fried onions.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes or until heated through.
This recipe serves 6 and can be doubled. It can also be mixed together the day before, adding the onions right before you bake it, but make sure to take it out of the refrigerator at least an hour ahead, so that it isn't cold and it will cook right.

One more thing... if you or anyone in your family hates cream cheese, you won't taste it in this. My husband and my step-sons can't stand it and they love this dish. Just hide the wrapper if they freak out upon seeing it ;)

I already had this in my files so I just had to copy and paste it, which is why I didn't take long posting it here.

Last edited:

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Birch bay, thank you for your kind reply.. i get distracted myself.

So, do you prepare a full dinner all for yourself or have guests?
I have never tried duck.. I am a single mom and my kids are ages, 30, 16, 12.
my eldest is the one who was really looking forward to the holidays as he was the one who found me the house I am renting. 200 yrs old with a 40s remodel.
I moved here this past July after living the past 2 yrs in western MA, happy and content to be in Northern CA (as i was born/raised in socal)and had never been to this part of the state.

People say to me, 'oh at least you have kids'... and while i love them alot. its still me, doing for them kwim? I had planned to bring both mom & dad to my house here and was going to give them a feast to remember! despite both of them having dementia and my yonger 2 were going to spend their first turkey day w/ their grandparents, but alas, not gonna happen. This year has been the most difficult one in my life!. I wish I knew people that lived close by that have similar interests to at least invite over just like the pilgrams did.

I also don't own china or heirloom dishes because i've never been married. Chinet is my china ;) and i use the foil roasting pan for the bird as well.
Having gone through my fathers death, caring for him via hospice, putting together his funeral etc... i'm beat.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm planning to go to a benefit. It'll benefit homeless youth, and I don't have to see relatives.

I may invite my neighbor over for low-carb pumpkin pie later.

rue

Oh sweetie... I hope you didn't take what I wrote the wrong way. Chinet or china, it doesn't matter! It's the love that goes into your meal that does :) I was just telling you our tradition. I'm sorry you won't have the big get together you thought you would. I understand since every Christmas it's usually just the four of us, now that we live away from everyone in our families and I was used to a lot of people joking and laughing. You know what though, it will be just fine. You will be surrounded by your children that love you and that is truly a gift. Oh and yes, it's all me in the kitchen. No one but my mother is allowed in there and she doesn't live here.

Try to make it a cheery event even if you're sad.... pretend you're Julia Child and have some wine or make some hot cocoa if you don't drink, put on some great music (even if it's Christmas music) and enjoy yourself. The kids will love it! It's hard to be sad when you're listening to Mele Kalikimaka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvGKUXW0iI :)

/|\

One of the Regulars
This first holiday season is going to be the hardest for you. But try not to be too sad, for your 12-year-old's sake at least. Twelve is a vulnerable age. Holiday rituals are important to kids. (I've heard -- I haven't any.)

So, do you prepare a full dinner all for yourself or have guests?

I wish I knew people that lived close by that have similar interests to at least invite over just like the pilgrams did.

I'm from L.A., myself. Know my neighbours? Perish the thought! :p My ex-fiancée isn't going to make it up this year. (She came up for the 4th of July, and it looks like maybe June or July 2011 too.) My best friend moved away long ago and is now living in South America. My other local friend got snagged by the Army and is in Texas. Most of my other friends are in the L.A. area. I'd ask my Canadian neighbours over, but they're only come here in the Summer. Or there are my friends from SoCal who are now in Seattle. Only our schedules rarely coincide and my vegetarian recipes are limited. (I found a Spicy Pasta w/Sweet Potato recipe in a magazine while I was waiting to get my head shaved today. I'll have to try it first before serving it to anyone else.)

So yeah, I make a full meal for myself and spend the next week or two eating it. I get really sick of turkey and prime rib (and ham hocks and black-eyed peas for New Years), I can tell you! I made cassoulet a couple of months ago, and it took a week and a half to finish it. But I'll have my holidays regardless!

I haven't made duck in years and years. But I love the crispy skin and the dark meat. If I go with that, I think I'll have mashed potatoes with it. And maybe some green beans. Food, football, something from the DVD shelf, and thinking I should do homework and then not doing it. :p

/|\

One of the Regulars
Oh and yes, it's all me in the kitchen.

Amen! :D OK, sometimes I could use a sou chef to do the chopping and such. But I'm very protective of my cookware! (Besides, when there are people here I get to get all of the compliments. You know how pilots are with their egos. Even lapsed ones. ;) )

rue

But I'm very protective of my cookware! (Besides, when there are people here I get to get all of the compliments. You know how pilots are with their egos. Even lapsed ones. ;) )

Ditto on the cookware and the compliments, although I'm no pilot ;)

Oh and watching Christmas Vacation may make you change your mind about having a big family all together or at least it'll make you laugh ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe