Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stubborn Caked Powder on a 60yo Resistol

Dani Rose

New in Town
Hey yall, long long long time listener (like, I've been coming here for the experience & expertise since the 00s) but a first time caller.

I've done my usual searching about to try to find an answer to this question, but I am fairly certain I either have the wrong search terms or it isn't a common issue. If there's a discussion on this topic already I apologize and would love to be pointed toward it!

But to the point: I recently acquired a lovely 1960s brown band, red bow/liner silverbelly Resistol 2X for basically nothing. The catch? It has some kind of powder that seems to be kinda caked into the fur that I cannot for the life of me get off. I know that too good to be true deals almost always are, but I've had plenty of success in the past cleaning and revitalizing old felts so I usually know what I'm getting myself into but this honestly has me kinda stumped and I don't want to start throwing solutions at it all willy nilly and maybe mucking it up even worse, since I think it is def wearable as it stands now with a little spot cleaning. It ain't my 80s Diamond Horseshoe, but it is a solid hat that I'd just absolutely love to rotate in as my daily felt for this winter.

What would you use to remove caked-on powder from an old felt? Sponge def scrapes it up and I can see the dust flecks flying off, but it doesn't ever seem to remove it completely and I worry about over-brushing. Same with the softhair brush. Scout/M&F spray cleaner didn't seem to do much, ultimately, and I suspect it may have even made it a very little bit worse.

Has anyone successfully been able to remove a caked-on powder? Is the best move to just brush brush brush until it eventually, maybe, comes off? I've got a good three months until it is felt season again, so time is well on my side (and like any crazy hat lady I've got so many I can wear already so this could take a year I don't mind). I'd like to try to avoid giving it a bath if possible, as I really don't want to have to strip & reblock-rebuild it if I can get away with not immersing it.

All that said, it is a beautiful hat. Thin and stiff as a board even after years and years. They don't make 'em like they used to, that's for sure. Thank you in advance for anyone who might even try to help, I super appreciate it!

IMG_1809.jpg

Dani Rose

New in Town
Did you try any steam? Sounds like (and from what I can see) surfaced sizing (starch) build up......
Steam can settle it back down, especially when brushed while still damp.
Thank you! I've been hesitant to do much more than dry brush and sponge, not wanting to potentially make it worse before I got an outside opinion. I'll give it a good steam and brush and see how it settles once dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom