Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliner & Whippet Same hat?

GWD

One Too Many
A quick question to those who have both these hats. Are these the same hats with the same measurements only different ribbons? Or are there marked differences?

ideaguy

One Too Many
They're two really different animals; the Whippet has an edging in grosgrain around the brim that's 3/8" wide, has a 2" ribbon, and a cut that's decidedly more dramatic than the Strat.
Can't find my Stratoliner, so can't compare dimensions; that's my take on 2 of my favorite hats; wearing a chocolate brown 7 3/8 Whippet right now, with the name "Whippet" embossed on the sweatband, in the very front. Liner doesn't say Whippet at all- Royal Stetson is all; even the "Royal Stetson" on the sweat is very different than the normal Stetson embossed logo...
will try and get a photo of dis lid up soon...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I've got two Whippets and recently acquired an old (but like new) Penny's Marathon which is referred to as a "Stratoliner Clone". Hoping to obtain a real Strat but for now the only comparison I have tells me the Strat and the Whippet are different dimensions, cut and weight, as well as the obvious different trimmings. It seems to me that the Open Road and the Stratoliner are closer to one another (but with different blocking) than either is to a Whippet.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yep, they are two different animals to be sure.

Here is an example of a Whippet. I have one exactly like this one except without the hole in the rown.
johnny_depp1_300_400.jpg

And one of what I think is a Stratoliner or at least very close to one.
11oslide1.jpg

But hey, that's just my opinion, for what it is worth.

Cheers!

Dan

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
They're two different hats -- not only in terms of blocking and ribbon treatment, Whippets also have a thicker felt.

Cheers,
JtL

GWD

One Too Many
Thanks guys....Now I have to find me a Stratoliner! I thought if it was just the ribbon I wouldn't have to find me a Strat.:rolleyes: Oh Well, such is life.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
I've got two Whippets and recently acquired an old (but like new) Penny's Marathon which is referred to as a "Stratoliner Clone".

Congrats on the Marathon Gene, you just pipped me to the post on that one:eusa_doh: . Hope it's as good in the flesh as in the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust